Considering Axe FX II, but want to make sure I understand what I am getting into.

I had a few questions, and I have searched, so I have found some answers, but I just want to make sure I am correct especially for the price.

I want to record, (have no plans of live) I have a home studio I am getting together.(slowly) I want the Axe to be my audio interface. I am under the impression that the Axe FX IIs ADA converters are top notch. So that isn't much of a concern to me. But would running at a sample rate in my DAW of 44.1khz cause a problem. Or would the Axe handle that just fine? Or would it be better to just do everything at 48khz?

I want to go Guitar (and Bass)--- Axe FX II----(usb)----PC (DAW- FL Studio 11)
Axe FX II---(XLR balanced out)--- (studio monitors) I assume I won't need a power amp, or similar if my studio monitors have a class A/B amp in them.

However, I want to do a lot of re-amping, so I want to record dry track through USB, I know the Axe can do it. But I want to make sure I can monitor a wet (processed signal) with a tone I like in the Axe, out of the studio monitors (without latency), as I record the dry through usb.
I want to be able to do this while hearing my studio mix (music in my DAW) mixed in with the guitar "wet" monitored tone all through the studio monitors. I assume I can mix in the tone of the guitar, with the main studio mix, and output them together in the monitors.
I assume I can do the same out of the headphone outputs of the Axe.

I also want to be able to use the "pristine quality" FX in the Axe to process some of the synth's, and samples from within my DAW, using the USB. I want to be able to hear that as well as the Studio mix from my DAW. So I can dial in tones for those synths, and samples in real time while hearing them in context with the entire mix of the song, Kinda like the re-amping of guitars I have mentioned above. I view the Axe FX II as some kind of audio interface that is also like a physical plugin (just expanded from the PC) in the DAW.

I see that parameters are "automable." Would this be done in the edit software, or within my DAW Software, or within the units interface somehow? I am a little confused on this part.
I want to be able to do things like automate a Wah for a guitar tone in my track (in my DAW) as well as other things.
Or do you need an expression pedal, or foot controller to access certain features?

I am really considering this over the competition because I am under the assumption, that this unit will be able to do it all in one unit. I read, and hear great things about the Support from Fractal on this unit. (one thing that is keeping me from the 11rack, that and it is getting old)
I was gonna go separate audio interface, and pod HD500x, but I wanted to eliminate any unnecessary ADA conversion, and cables (+length) used. Plus I read alot about the cab's, and lack of ir loading on the Pod HD series. I want to avoid all that and just go with the best. Invest in something I won't need to upgrade for many years, that has loads of support. That will handle anything I through at it.

I really want a night/day difference in quality from what I have been using:
Which is a Pod X3 unit (current Audio interface), and Pod Farm, which honestly I have surprising got some pretty good tones out of. (well ones I thought were pretty good considering, and they work pretty good in the mix) But I wanted to upgrade, and get my studio more up-to-snuff. Currently not even using monitors, working with home theater speakers. (but that too will be changed)

I know this is a long winded post, and not many questions, but I just want to make sure I have a decent understanding before I delve any further into it. So if anyone can clarify this, or point out things I might have mis-understood, I would appreciate it.

If I think of any other things I need clarified I will just post them here in this thread.

Last edited:
I want to record, (have no plans of live) I have a home studio I am getting together.(slowly) I want the Axe to be my audio interface. I am under the impression that the Axe FX IIs ADA converters are top notch. So that isn't much of a concern to me. But would running at a sample rate in my DAW of 44.1khz cause a problem. Or would the Axe handle that just fine? Or would it be better to just do everything at 48khz?

However, I want to do a lot of re-amping, so I want to record dry track through USB, I know the Axe can do it. But I want to make sure I can monitor a wet (processed signal) with a tone I like in the Axe, out of the studio monitors (without latency), as I record the dry through usb.
I want to be able to do this while hearing my studio mix (music in my DAW) mixed in with the guitar "wet" monitored tone all through the studio monitors. I assume I can mix in the tone of the guitar, with the main studio mix, and output them together in the monitors.

I also want to be able to use the "pristine quality" FX in the Axe to process some of the synth's, and samples from within my DAW, using the USB. I want to be able to hear that as well as the Studio mix from my DAW. So I can dial in tones for those synths, and samples in real time while hearing them in context with the entire mix of the song, Kinda like the re-amping of guitars I have mentioned above. I view the Axe FX II as some kind of audio interface that is also like a physical plugin (just expanded from the PC) in the DAW.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I'm far from an expert though I do use the Axe quite a bit for recording.

I think that you have no choice but to use 48khz.

As far as reamping goes, you'll be able to hear the wet track while you're recording it but not with the rest of the mix. Basically, you solo the dry track, press play in the DAW, and record on the wet track. The Axe has to be set up for "USB" as the input. The reason why you won't be able to hear the rest of the mix while recording the wet track is because you don't want to send all of that to the Axe because it would process all of it too.

However, once the wet track is recorded, you can (of course) listen to the entire mix with the newly created wet track. I personally don't have a problem with this process, though I can see the benefits of being able to hear the rest of the mix while the wet track is being recorded. It could possibly save you some time. To my knowledge, it's not possible.

Someone else can chime in on your automation-related questions as I have no experience on subject.

The Axe is an awesome recording tool and I greatly prefer it vs. modeling plugins + effect plugins due to the massive amounts of options it gives you. Also saves on CPU usage. Plugins do have the advantage of being able to be tweaked in real time while listening to the rest of the mix.

One important thing you have to understand too is that almost with ever Firm Ware release update your tones may or may not change a little or a lot.

The Axe FX II will suit you just perfect for what you want to achieve. I cant remember what is the top sampling rate if you want to use its direct digital sound, but i know it cant do 192khz.

So let me get this straight as far as recording goes...
As I record.
I cannot hear my processed guitar tone (from the AXE II) out of the monitors (xlr output) at the same time as my music from my DAW? While I ONLY record a dry track through usb?
For $2,200 this is a big deal for me. (so I would have to get another audio interface, connect it all with s/pdif?)

And for re-amping...
so the USB input for processing in the Ax FX, can only carry the master (L+R) channel out of the DAW?
In my daw, I can have each mixer track output to different outputs of audio interfaces, yet I will still have to solo anything to process it with the AXE while not being able to hear the song with it? (due to the axe FX II only being able to carry 4 channels of audio through the USB at any time)?\

So choosing usb as input, there is no choosing which channel through usb, its just usb as input?
This isn't quite as important, but would be nice. (I guess I could do this with a separate audio interface that accepts everything through s/pdif)

Can I assign the axe FX II to send a dry signal through the S/pdif?

The Behringer FCA610 has got excellent reviews, and s/pdif connections.... I guess I could find out if the s/pdif outpus on it can send anything other than the main mix.

BTW I am not trying to be thick headed or anything, I just want to really know its capabilities before I spend that kind of money.

Last edited:
I have a studio and have recorded alot over the years. I set it up via usb as my sound card and did some recording. I haven't recorded extensively with it but my view is that it can be an audio interface but to me this an added bonus. I would not base my studio on the Axe as my sound card. It gets very awkward and complicated when it comes to monitoring while recording (setting live level vs. recorded tracks) etc. Also if you start getting into layering many tracks with virtual instruments, you're going to run out of bandwidth with usb. If you're willing to trudge through these limitations it can be done but this is not a Guitar/FX processor/Sound Card. To me , the sound card part was thrown in for convenience. IF you can afford it, get a decent soundcard - you will save yourself headaches later.

I appreciate the responses, and I will probably create a few more threads over the next (whatever time frame) while I try to find out what directions I want to go with upgrades to my studio.

I see now that I will probably need an audio interface along with the Axe FX II. (to do all the routing I want)

I guess now I am wanting to understand the automation of it more. I basically want to be able to control it with my DAW, but will I be able to do this if I am not using the Axe FX II as my audio interface, but just hooked up USB to computer to use the EDIT software?

Last edited:
Let me understand this well, your main goal is to have a GUITAR only home studio right? The Axe FX II first and for most IT IS NOT a dedicated audio interface for a recording studio!, so don't judge the price measuring something the unit is not aimed to do. If you want to do a home recording studio that can record a lot of things you at least need a dedicated 8 track at the same time audio interface! and if you have the money to pay for the axe FX you can buy a used interface at $250 that can do that, the axe FX can't.

So let me get this straight as far as recording goes...
As I record.
I cannot hear my processed guitar tone (from the AXE II) out of the monitors (xlr output) at the same time as my music from my DAW? While I ONLY record a dry track through usb?

I believe you can do this with the Axe no problem!

Well one of the reasons for this thread is to be able to judge the price of it in a more accurate context. So I won't be judging it on mis-nomers, or misguided info. I like to be an informed consumer mainly.

I don't really mind having a separate audio interface, as long as it can be completely digital (except for the cable from the guitar)
Does the Axe FX II have the ability to re-amp, and process with the s/pdif as the input? If, so then maybe that Behringer FCA610 would be a good addition for it.

But about the automation. I basically want to be able to control it with my DAW (with midi automation clips), but will I be able to do this if I am not using the Axe FX II as my audio interface, but just hooked up USB to computer to use the EDIT software?

You can hear the entire mix while laying down a wet or dry track.

It's only when re-amping can you not hear the whole mix because during re-amping the Axe will be processing everything coming to it via USB.

I have my AxeFx II patched in with USB, S/PDIF and analog xlr l/r all at the same time.

I use ProTools 10.x on Windows 7 x64 as my DAW.

For me, I use mostly the analog. It sounds stellar. It eliminates any concerns about SRC, clocking etc. and the quality is professional level. No worries. You can create professional quality recordings via analog.

There are so many things to consider about audio interfaces etc.

I recommend really thinking about what you are trying to accomplish: make demos, music for film, video games, tv, songwriting, re-mixing etc.

Once you get a good concrete idea of what you want to accomplish, the gear you need, don't need will take care of itself. At that point its about how much $$ can you afford :)

I think you can do basic midi control over USB from the daw, but I have not tried it myself.

If you really want to know everything, goto the support page at the main fractal site and download the manual and read it. Everything that the Axe FX II can do is in the manual.

I have my AxeFx II patched in with USB, S/PDIF and analog xlr l/r all at the same time.

I use ProTools 10.x on Windows 7 x64 as my DAW.

For me, I use mostly the analog. It sounds stellar. It eliminates any concerns about SRC, clocking etc. and the quality is professional level. No worries. You can create professional quality recordings via analog.

There are so many things to consider about audio interfaces etc.

I recommend really thinking about what you are trying to accomplish: make demos, music for film, video games, tv, songwriting, re-mixing etc.

Once you get a good concrete idea of what you want to accomplish, the gear you need, don't need will take care of itself. At that point its about how much $$ can you afford :)

I am just trying to eliminate any unnecessary ADA conversion, but then as you said I have to battle the clocking rates. I could always use the Balanced inputs on the Axe FX (from balanced outputs on my audio interface)... Then XLR out the Axe , into the XLR of the audio interface... (if I have any clocking issues over S/pdif)
I use FLS 11 (my DAW of choice) on Vista 64 currently, (though i will build a new rig over the next year, or so, and it will definitely have a newer Windows OS)

I am not quite sure what you are asking about what I am trying to accomplish, but here goes...
Video game music, and just making music period are my goals. I have no real desire to go "pro" with labels/publishers. The current game developer I am working with is a small indie dev out of Denmark, as part of a community project. As far as what kinds of music I want to make... A lot, many different kinds, but my main inspirations are video game, and various styles of metal.

As far as what I want to record (audio wise) guitar/bass (maybe vocals down the line) Some keyboards as well. Don't see myself tracking more than a few things at a time.
A lot of what I write will be done in my DAW. (with midi controllers)

I plan on acoustic treatment and all, (some I DIY, some I will buy) Have industrial grade power outlets installed (DIY if I can) or call a professional if needed.

I want to setup my studio right, but it is more of a hobby/passion, than a career... that I don't mind if I make a bunch of $$ from it. However, for now, and the time being, I just want to add to the global music collection of humanity.

The studio itself will just be for my/my family/and close friends use. (nothing professional, or public)

I have a good idea of what I want to do, I just want to make sure I do it right, on a slow-pace with a limited budget, but without sacrificing quality much.

If you really want to know everything, goto the support page at the main fractal site and download the manual and read it. Everything that the Axe FX II can do is in the manual.

This is a good idea. I went through a lot of posts, and some wiki stuff, but I will definitely do this before I decide which route I want to take. I have already done this with the Pod HD series, I just wanted to ask a few overview questions before I delved into another manual.

Last edited:
I have seen some soundtrack / gaming stuff done.

What I am familiar with was all centered around the DAW, sound / sample libraries with a bent toward sound efx and "cinematic" sounds.

The AxeFx would be cool not only for laying down guitars and reamping guitars but also for processing other tracks.

I would recommend a dedicated audio interface and patch the AxeFx analog with all four outputs patched: Out 1 left/right xlr and Out 2 1/4" unbalanced and the rear inputs patched too.

Then you can plug into the front input too as needed.

This would give you a lot of flexibility for tracking, and processing.

With decently short cable runs, 20ft or less, analog will not be a problem.

Edit: This is something worth reading too:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/blogs/admin-m@/13-interview-carl-rydlund-part-1.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/blogs/admin-m@/14-interview-carl-rydlund-part-2.html

Last edited:
The AxeFx would be cool not only for laying down guitars and reamping guitars but also for processing other tracks.

I completely agree, and that is one reason why I want to choose The Axe over the competition, cause the quality of FX are so great.

I would recommend a dedicated audio interface and patch the AxeFx analog with all four outputs patched: Out 1 left/right xlr and Out 2 1/4" unbalanced and the rear inputs patched too.

Well if my audio interface has balanced inputs and outputs, couldn't I just use the balanced inputs of Input 2 on the Axe FX II unit? I honestly want the only unbalanced cable to be one from guitar to the Axe FX. And the one that I am monitoring (not in the recording signal chain) the wet signal with.
This would give you a lot of flexibility for tracking, and processing.
For instance:
Guitar ----(unbalanced TS 1/4)---- Axe FX II front------ (XLR L+R output 1)-----audio interface... (for dry track recording)
_____________________________Axe FX II rear------- (output 2 1/4 TS, to TRS**)-------audio interface. (for wet/processed monitor)
Audio interface -----(TRS balanced 1/4 L+R)----Axe FX II rear input 2 L+R --------- (sending signal from DAW to Axe for reprocessing)
Audio interface -----(TRS to XLR balanced L+R)---- Studio monitors.

Only difference when I am actually re-amping/processing , I will have the XLR ouptut 1 of the Axe FX II set to send the processed signal, instead of the dry.

**I can have some TS to TRS 1/4 cables made that should fix any balanced/unbalanced issues there.. (these cables are only to "monitor" a wet guitar, while I record anyway, and won't be part of the recording chain itself.)
Also thanks for the links I will give them a good read as well.

Last edited:
This routing above is of course, IF I run into any issues with the s/pdif. (which the interfaces I am looking at have that)
Behringer FCA610 and Scarlette 6i6.
Both seem to have all the I/O I could need.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use balanced outs from the Axe if you decide to not just use USB. Not sure about balanced inputs on the Axe. Read the manual to answer your questions authoritatively.

You can hear the entire mix while laying down a wet or dry track.

It's only when re-amping can you not hear the whole mix because during re-amping the Axe will be processing everything coming to it via USB.

Although if you use ASIO4All you can set up Multiple outputs. I have mine set up so I get the wet (re-amping) signal via the AFX outs and just monitor the backing track via my laptops headphone out. I send both these outputs to a little cheap mixer and blend them so I can tell how the wet signal sits in the mix.

It means adding a mixer to your equipment but there not that expensive for a decent 4 channel one - or even a line mixer.

Back
Top Bottom