Connecting AX8 to Axe-FX II

kavoo

Inspired
Is it possible to connect an AX8 to the Axe-FX II to use them by two guitarists and in the same way use the AX8 to control both of them (i.e. changing presets or scenes simultaneously on both units) via MIDI?

I'm looking for a solution that allow me to play with my friend with freedom of changing tones of both guitars on the fly without spending too much money (buying an AX8 is way less expensive than buying second Axe-FX unit and at least one MFC-101).

The ax can def be used to control axe but it is by no means a robust midi controller. I am nto sure I understand what is the goal here. Why is he not using his Axe and you using your Ax?

Guys, do you really want to bump hips while trying to use one floor controler for 2 processors? Or am I getting this completely wrong? :)

Sure it is theoretically possible. Scene change equals MIDI PC sent, if needed. So both units could react to it at the same time, but still... :D

I'd buy a second simple midi switcher..

If one guitarist is changing the tones for both guitarists, you could also just run everything through one Axe-Fx II. I've done this several times. The only caveat is making sure neither guy is letting a chord ring out when the preset changes.

Two separate parallel paths are possible with either panning the rear stereo inputs via Volume blocks, or else using the FX Loop block as the second input. This works great if each guitarist only needs one amp per preset.

Then just buy an MFC or a cheaper MIDI controller.

Yeah we did that several times with my friend. I have a couple of presets for two guitars and we used them when playing for fun over a backing tracks while enjoying a beer'n'guitar weekends :wink: But this method is enough for really simple stuff like AC/DC, without any tone changes throughout the whole song. But if we would want to have fun with some more "complicated" songs (with clean intro for example), it won't work without easy preset/scene change during playing. That's why we need something to control.

Now... my friend doesn't have any modeler at this moment. He wants to buy one, but since he's not interested in direct recording via USB and any other functions of the Axe-FX, there's no point to buy the big box - the much cheaper AX8 will do for him just fine. We are not a band, we are not rehearsing/giging at all. Playing guitars is pure fun for us, that's why we don't want to spend money for an additional gear. I myself don't need any footcontroller, so spending even 100-150$ for it is a complete waste... I know a lot of more useful (for my needs) ways of spending money on guitar gear (like buying EV-1 or a set of old vintage DiMarzio PAF/Super Distortion from the late 70s or early 80s).

Hence my question - if my friend would buy an AX8, will it be possible to control both our units simultaneously from the AX8?

Guys, do you really want to bump hips while trying to use one floor controler for 2 processors?
LOL :laughing: Welll... I think we prefer to dance this way with our ladies, so don't worry :wink:

I think controlling both units by just one of us is totally enough - both of us know what we are playing and when the tones of either guitar are changing :wink:

the result would be the same with s AX8, if will send preset change but both units will change preset at the same time, you end up with the same problems, I think 1 axe-fx with a foot controller is the way to go for you as you can send midi command to switch X\Y for amps, on and off for drive or Effects

I can imagine a AX8 preset and buttons split for usage with guitar 1 / guitar 2, with scenes:

a) doing changes for g1 but not sending any PC message to the second processor
b) doing changes for g2 without altering the sound of g1 (same block states) by sending MIDI PC to the second unit (which would react in whatever way you want). I'll test later on if there is an audio gap if 2 scenes are completely the same...

So with 2 processors I guess you are able to do this, but:

- to be honest, I cant see why you wouldn't give it a shot just on AXE FXII. You just need a MIDI controller with enough buttons :) You can route 2 separate paths with FX Loop in employed - what kind of constraint do you see here? Clean sounds can be done with drive block only, distorted - via amp block. If I was able to substitute the 2nd amp with the drive block for cleans on AX8, then why you wouldn't be able to program whatever you want on big AXE? Your'e from my country - go buy a used GLAB GSC2/3, EMCustom Spark/Thunder and do some tests with two paths.

Back
Top Bottom