Connect Boss Ev-1-WL Wireless to FM3 as a MIDI expression pedal

Peixe

The Boss EV-1-WL have an MIDI Out jack connector. I wonder if it is possible to connect that output to the MIDI IN of the FM3 with some adaptor and if that will actually work.

Do you mean used it wired or wireless?

I don't think wireless will work... There's no Bluetooth on Fractal devices.

But you can use it over a midi connection. From the product page:

Or grab the BOSS BMIDI-5-35 cable to connect with any device that has a standard 5-pin MIDI input jack.

Yes, it will work nicely) Connecting additional footswitches works too; and you can use a smartphone app to set CC# and other parameters via Bluetooth

Boss BMIDI cables are ok but it’s much cheaper to just solder one DIY

IMG_0590.jpegIMG_0592.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

IMG_0593.jpegIMG_0594.jpeg

How are you using it with wireless and your Fractal? I assume via the computer?
Like I wrote:

IMG_0606.jpeg

Wireless connection is intended for some Boss products, but it actually works with laptops/iPhones/iPads (for instance, you can control Volume or Pan in GarageBand via Bluetooth, as well as change EV1WL settings in its editor app).

USB is for controlling parameters in a DAW or standalone plugins; I guess it’s possible to send midi commands through computer like [EV1WL -> PC -> FM3] to sync some stuff, but in my case it’s pointless)

For the life of me I haven't been able to get the the EV1WL properly working with my FM3. I can get the pedal to switch on/off a function, like e.g. Volume or Wah, but I haven't been able to get the expression going. @unix-guy can you share your EV1WL midi app settings via e.g. screenshot?

For the life of me I haven't been able to get the the EV1WL properly working with my FM3. I can get the pedal to switch on/off a function, like e.g. Volume or Wah, but I haven't been able to get the expression going. @unix-guy can you share your EV1WL midi app settings via e.g. screenshot?
Since I don't (and never did) have one, no, I can't ;)

Hi, some help here with my setting:
EV1WL transmit through 2 MIDI CC "channels" (continuous controller channel): they are CC 11 and CC 1 (one for each of the Wah functions on EVL1WL)
You then first must link an External line to accept one of that CC messages:
- Access the External menu in your FM3 (Setup/MIDI-Remote/External page).
-Select an External Control, for example External 3 and assign to CC 11
-Select another External control, for example External 4 and assign to CC 1

External 33 CC setting.jpeg

After that, you are ready to use any of the External settings in any input that accepts external modifiers.
Here I have assigned External Control 3 (which means CC 11 messages) to my Wah:

1711617983272.png

Hope this helps, cheers

EV1WL transmit through 2 MIDI CC "channels" (continuous controller channel): they are CC 11 and CC 1 (one for each of the Wah functions on EVL1WL)
To use correct terms, they are CC numbers, not channels. Channels mean something else in midi so let's not add possible confusion there :)

Thanks for the explanation unix-guy.
The naming is somehow confusing for me. CC meaning "continuous controller" does not tell me anything that is in fact a "line" of communication form the EV1WL to FM3. In fact all CC numbers are "lines" or "ways" to transmit data, like a "thread" where digital info flows... am I right or is it maybe a small side of a broad concept?

Thanks for the explanation unix-guy.
The naming is somehow confusing for me. CC meaning "continuous controller" does not tell me anything that is in fact a "line" of communication form the EV1WL to FM3. In fact all CC numbers are "lines" or "ways" to transmit data, like a "thread" where digital info flows... am I right or is it maybe a small side of a broad concept?
No, that is not correct.

The Midi data stream is the communication.

Within that stream is data for specific components which are applicable for a specific channel (or channels).

The device(s) receiving the stream will process the incoming information for channel(s) on which they are operating.

For the Fractal stuff, the components which we can use are (primarily) PCs and CCs.

PCs are Program Change commands. They have a single value, which is the program (preset) number from 0-127.

CCs are Control Change commands (sometimes also referred to as Continuous Controllers, which isn't always accurate). They have 2 values: a number from 0-127 and a data value from 0-127.

CCs are sometimes used to turn things OFF (data value 0-63) or ON (64-127).

CCs are also often used for "continuous" control (not really, but let's pretend) by sending values through the range of 0-127 to represent a variable setting such as volume control, etc...

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation.
Seems much more clear now. I see now that the so called continuous control in reality are several discrete messages (fast enough to be unnoticeable) of the structure, for example using number 11:
CC 11, value_1
CC 11, value_2
CC 11, value_n

and that can be interleaved with other CC and PC messages with their corresponding "paremeters".
All this fly through the Midi data stream which is the real communication line.

Thanks again master

Ah, ok thanks for the explanation.
Seems much more clear now. I see now that the so called continuous control in reality are several discrete messages (fast enough to be unnoticeable) of the structure, for example using number 11:
CC 11, value_1
CC 11, value_2
CC 11, value_n

and that can be interleaved with other CC and PC messages with their corresponding "paremeters".
All this fly through the Midi data stream which is the real communication line.

Thanks again master
You got it!

Hi, some help here with my setting:
You then first must link an External line to accept one of that CC messages:
- Access the External menu in your FM3 (Setup/MIDI-Remote/External page).
-Select an External Control, for example External 3 and assign to CC 11
-Select another External control, for example External 4 and assign to CC 1

View attachment 137692

After that, you are ready to use any of the External settings in any input that accepts external modifiers.
Here I have assigned External Control 3 (which means CC 11 messages) to my Wah:

View attachment 137693

Hope this helps, cheers

Works like a charm. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom