Connect AXE-FX and iPad

Devster

Inspired
Hi

I want to connect my iPad through USB to the axe so I can play/practice our setlist , with headphones, to backing tracks i have on my iPad. I like the iPad because of the long battery life during practice and also I have apps which alter the pitch and speed of songs.

Has anyone had any experience connecting their iPad (cheaply )?? I read that the camera connection kit may work but wanted to find out before I dropped the $.

I know another option is a mixer to combine the iPad out and the axe headphone output into a single source for my headphones but I would rather not have to buy one of those.

Cheers

Give the Line6 Sonic Port a go. It has a stereo input so you could use dual mono 1/4in to stereo 1/8in to get the sound into your iPad. You could then use one of any number of recording apps with background audio enabled to monitor your AFX while you're using whatever app you like. I personally use my iPad with a Sonic Port and loaded with a number of apps as my travel practice rig.

Just to let everyone know, I bout a camera connection kit and connected the USB to the axe. Didn't work. I then connected my MacBook and audio played fine thru USB. I then tried the iPad & CCK and IT WORKED.

Seems u need to connect the axe to a computer to load the drivers for the USB but that is where my knowledge ends.

Still I can now practice with my iPad and anytunes app slowing down speed and changing pitch.

Cheers

there is no direct support from ipad connected directly to the Axe usb port, or any other simulator usb port for that matter....

You could run the output from the iPad into input2 of the AxeFx. Would be great if the iPad would allow a bit more. Period. I keep running into walls with the damn thing. Loads of stuff I'd love to do are blocked by the good people at apple. Like play Flash websites. Hook up a usb-drive to expand the minute memory. 32Gb microSD costs about €20,-. 16gb upgrade at apple costs €100,-

Thank you Apple for blocking the giant piece of trash software called "Flash". It should be called "Trash". If you understood the workings of Flash, you would understand it was not designed to run on a mobile device. If it runs on a desktop and uses 100% CPU, Adobe doesn't care. Your machine is plugged into the wall, you have all the power you want. But to run any mobile device at 100% CPU while Flash is not actually doing anything is a waste of valuable battery power. Jobs asked for Adobe to fix it, but they would not, could not, can't. You should thank him for doing the right thing and dumping Flash. If you want to do what is wrong (and probably get promoted to a management position), figure out how to run Flash on your IOS device and kill the battery life and battery of the devices. Also, please feel free to start plugging in devices in the USB port of your iPad to help suck all the power out. How about some disk drives, overhead lights, cigarette lighter, or you could do the right thing and require that all devices plugged into your mobile device provide their own power. Nowhere did Apple hint that an iPad was going to power your external devices. As I recall, if you plug your device into a powered USB hub, most of them seem to work!
Thank you Apple for blocking people from doing the wrong things and trying to break their iPads. Why do you think they developed a new connector the bottom of the iPads. Because people kept plugging in things that try to blow it up! When was the last time you heard of someone plugging in a cheap overpowered charger into their iPhone and blowing it up? Yes, every week. People will plug anything and everything into their iPhone/iPad without thinking.Period.

You could run the output from the iPad into input2 of the AxeFx. Would be great if the iPad would allow a bit more. Period. I keep running into walls with the damn thing. Loads of stuff I'd love to do are blocked by the good people at apple. Like play Flash websites. Hook up a usb-drive to expand the minute memory. 32Gb microSD costs about €20,-. 16gb upgrade at apple costs €100,-

Anyhoo. It's good to be able to use the iPad with the axe. It's not seemless but it does work and enables practice with backing tracks without having to use a mixer for your headphones.

If anyone has any other tips on using the iPad with the axe then is like to hear them

Cheers and rock on

Who still uses flash on a website? I've not had any content not load on my apple devices in a couple years now. Everyone has converted to html5.

Thank you Apple for blocking the giant piece of trash software called "Flash". It should be called "Trash". If you understood the workings of Flash, you would understand it was not designed to run on a mobile device. If it runs on a desktop and uses 100% CPU, Adobe doesn't care. Your machine is plugged into the wall, you have all the power you want. But to run any mobile device at 100% CPU while Flash is not actually doing anything is a waste of valuable battery power. Jobs asked for Adobe to fix it, but they would not, could not, can't. You should thank him for doing the right thing and dumping Flash. If you want to do what is wrong (and probably get promoted to a management position), figure out how to run Flash on your IOS device and kill the battery life and battery of the devices. Also, please feel free to start plugging in devices in the USB port of your iPad to help suck all the power out. How about some disk drives, overhead lights, cigarette lighter, or you could do the right thing and require that all devices plugged into your mobile device provide their own power. Nowhere did Apple hint that an iPad was going to power your external devices. As I recall, if you plug your device into a powered USB hub, most of them seem to work!
Thank you Apple for blocking people from doing the wrong things and trying to break their iPads. Why do you think they developed a new connector the bottom of the iPads. Because people kept plugging in things that try to blow it up! When was the last time you heard of someone plugging in a cheap overpowered charger into their iPhone and blowing it up? Yes, every week. People will plug anything and everything into their iPhone/iPad without thinking.Period.

Absolutely. We shouldn't have choices and think for ourselves. We want apple to decide what we should and shouldn't do. I'm with you.

Lemur works great, there is an Axe for Lemur template on the forums here. You have to have a laptop attached via USB to the AxeFx and then you iPad connects via wireless to the Lemur daemon running on the laptop. You can then control almost every aspect of the AxeFx via the template running on your iPad. Works well, I use it regularly at gigs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Just to let everyone know, I bout a camera connection kit and connected the USB to the axe. Didn't work. I then connected my MacBook and audio played fine thru USB. I then tried the iPad & CCK and IT WORKED.

Seems u need to connect the axe to a computer to load the drivers for the USB but that is where my knowledge ends.

Still I can now practice with my iPad and anytunes app slowing down speed and changing pitch.

Cheers
Thos trick had been known for a long time. It is pretty much useless to most of us because we have to plug it into a Mac desktop or laptop to get the drivers as you said which if I have my MBP with me using my iPad is pointless

Lemur works great, there is an Axe for Lemur template on the forums here. You have to have a laptop attached via USB to the AxeFx and then you iPad connects via wireless to the Lemur daemon running on the laptop. You can then control almost every aspect of the AxeFx via the template running on your iPad. Works well, I use it regularly at gigs. Let me know if you have any questions.

If you had a step by step for this it would be great. Also, do you use a utility to keep the laptop from "sleeping" when you close the lid?

Who still uses flash on a website? I've not had any content not load on my apple devices in a couple years now. Everyone has converted to html5.

Tons of sites still do. Unfortunate...but true.
Adobe has stopped issuing updates for Droid devices as well (so newer Firmware releases on Droids are 50/50 on if they will allow you to view a site with Flash).

(I hear the sounds of it every night when my wife conplains about sites not displaying on her iPad, etc....instant headache)

Couple of times a week. Must be something european. If I didn't run into it I wouldn't mention it. It's a drag when you want to see something and it says I need a newer Flash version.

My wife's Samsung Note 10.1 plays Flash without problems. Lasts ages on a battery load. And it has a microSD slot and you can install custom keyboards with Swipe, wordprediction and automatic language change. And long press function for symbols so I don't have to switch three keyboards to insert a +. After using Swiftkey, the apple keyboard is ARCANE! The Note even downloads bit torrents and views divx. If you would want that, which I don't, since I believe in paying for what I enjoy.
I got this iPad for the music apps like mixer interfaces and unrealbook, which they didn't have for Android. And probably won't have ever, since they think all creative people are appleheads anyway. But it sure feels restricted. Beautiful piece of hardware.

Android has USB connections, BTW. Don't know if there is any MIDI to be found in there...

Cheers

Not getting this, you connected your Ipad directly to the AxeFxII usb port, using the Mac CCK? And it works? Could you elaborate a bit more? Are you using the Ipad to control parameters with Lemur? Are you using it to play sounds through the Axe and from the Ipad?
I understand one thing with the USB port on the Axe, it'll work for connecting to a computer, and editing or recording sounds.
And what I understand with the Ipad, is that you can use it to control parameters on the Axe, either connecting it through a midi interface and to the midi in/out of the Axe. Or via wifi with a computer connected to the Axe.
So still not understanding what you get with the CCK, the Ipad and the AxeFxII.
And still not getting howe it didnt work first, but after connecting to a computer, drivers where downloaded, and then it worked. Were u speaking about the Ipad or the Axe? Im good at reading, but I wouldnt get this if I read it upside down.

I find that my MacBook is getting a bit old and the battery quickly dies so that is why I do not use this to practice along with. My iPad obviously has much longer battery life.

I also have apps on my ipad which allow me to change the pitch of the songs which are already on my iPad ( via iTunes ) which is easy and involves less importing/copying of tunes.

When you plug your computer into the axe USB , the axe seems to load the USB drivers for the USB device (laptop). If you then disconnect the laptop and connect the same USB cable (from axe) into the CCK which is plugged into the iPad 30pin port then the ipAd continues to work and send the audio to the axe so I can hear the backing track through my headphones at the same time as my normal patches.

I did not want to start a apple slagging feat. I just wanted to let people know there is another way of practicing with your axe and iPad together.

For me it is useful. It may not be for all.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom