Condensation under LCD Screen?

CurvedLight

Inspired
For the last little while I have had what appears to be condensation under my LCD screen. I believe it got there as a result of having a humidifier on in the room for my guitars.
  • Has anyone else experienced this ?
  • Any suggestions to get rid of it ?

The unit works as expected but I would like to get rid of it if possible. here is a photo of what am talking about - you can see it over that A C D knobs and in the upper left hand corner

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: See post#17 - I tried using Silica Gel but it did not help

IMG_2589.JPG

Last edited:
I have this as well but it is much more pervasive than what you've shown.I have a wide curve of this cloud along the left side of the screen that extends about .75 in at its widest.I've marked itsScreen Shot 2020-05-28 at 12.15.53 AM.png curve to track expansion. I also used a humidifier but it was an evaporative type which should not produce the dreaded white dust on electronics.This has been on the screen about a year.Not too noticeable when the screen is lit.Would like to find a fix for this.Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 12.24.31 AM.png

Last edited:
Put it somewhere dry for a few days?
I live in Arizona and it was 105 today and it will be 111 this weekend. I have thought about putting it outside under the patio..... I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with this first :) before exposing it to the AZ heat

I had my humidifier set between 40-45% in a 11x12 foot room.

@MrGuitarabuse I assume the 70-80% humidity for where you live is outdoors, what is the typical humidity in the room you keep your axeFX in ?

Im in phoenix too, and my house is 45% humidity with no humidifier. So you prob got it in the 70% range, get a good hygrometer. I second the desicant suggestion above.

• Any suggestions to get rid of it ?

When you buy goods you often find enclosed small bags of silica-gel.
Don't throw them away. They're useful
Put your wet device in a box and add the bags containing silica-gel.
Give the device enough time to get to dry again.

And in future, please, stop playing guitar while under shower ... ;)

1590767617126.png

More seriously, the optimal humidity in a room containing wood is 50-60%.
Be aware, that - especially in cool rooms or cool corners of the room - you must not have any condensation at all.

Last edited:
Im in phoenix too, and my house is 45% humidity with no humidifier. So you prob got it in the 70% range, get a good hygrometer. I second the desicant suggestion above.
I do have a good hygrometer and my humidifier also has one built in. I was running it more towards 60% at first and since my room is on the small side and I realized that my Axe Fx was only a few feet away from the stream - so the damage was done early on. I have since moved things around and lowered my settings to 40% . I just wanted to get the remaining condensation out.

I ordered a bunch of rechargeable, color changing silica gel packs from amazon and will give that a try when they show up tomorrow.

Burying the Axe in a 50lb bag of rice for a few days. Then remove and it should be dry, and you can eat rice for the next 22 years!
I was tempted to do this as I have a 50lbs of rice stored away but it is vacuum packed and I did not want to reseal it after using it :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will "dry it out" and post my results in the next few days ...

I fixed an LCD digital wall clock by putting in our oven at 120 degrees F. I checked it every 20 minutes or so and after a couple of hours the moisture problem was gone. The III has a rated storage temperature of 167 degrees F, so it won't be harmed. If that makes you too nervous perhaps a judicious application of heat from a hair dryer to the affected area.

Danny W.

Silica gel is a good solution ... you can buy packets of them fairly cheaply. One important point is to make sure that the item to be dried and the silica gel are put into air tight containers. I usually put the item in a plastic box, fill it will gel packs, then wrap the box in baggies, and if possible, put that into a 2nd larger plastic box. Really need to make sure that the only source of H20 that the gel packs interact with are in the item and not the ambient air, otherwise won't work so well.

UPDATE: I put 3 Silica Gel packets on my LCD panel over the spots and sealed it with painters tape and clear plastic wrap for 4 days. No change in appearance. It seems that it is not condensation but a leftover residue from the "hard Arizona water" that I was using in my humidifier. So I think short of disassembling the AxeFx I am stuck with the issue :(

Well, it was worth a shot ... at least you know it's not condensation which in principle could have hurt the electrical components as well.

UPDATE: I put 3 Silica Gel packets on my LCD panel over the spots and sealed it with painters tape and clear plastic wrap for 4 days. No change in appearance. It seems that it is not condensation but a leftover residue from the "hard Arizona water" that I was using in my humidifier. So I think short of disassembling the AxeFx I am stuck with the issue :(
I wonder if disassembling voids the warranty?

Be careful with the water that you put on the humidifier (and any kind of added essence), as the dispersed minerals also go to your lungs

"Humidifiers have many benefits, from keeping your skin from drying out to helping with respiratory problems. Unfortunately, humidifiers and challenging water mix like oil and water. The minerals in hard water are often dispersed into your room and can cause respiratory issues (ironically) and leave white dust everywhere. These minerals will clog up your humidifier too. Purchasing purified water does solve this problem"

https://www.bluewolfconcepts.com/why-is-hard-water-problematic-for-humidifiers

Back
Top Bottom