Compressors-Cabinet or Cabinet-Compressors?

Hamer90

Hi guys! ;)

The other day I started to build a new sound-based amplifier Fender EVH 5150 III.

I came up with the idea to compress the signal before it enters the Cabinet. I always put the Cabinet, and then the Compressors. But changing their places need to adjust the EQ on the Amp or on Multicompressor)
Both options I liked.

Question: but how? Amp-Comp-Cab or Amp-Cab-Comp?

Input-Output 1.jpg Input-Output 2.jpg

Here is my patch: View attachment Fender EVH 5150.syx
You can experiment!

Thank you!

im going for the cab-comp option as it is more like a studio situation. OR pedal compressore before the amp. by using the compressor inbetween the compressor is reacting to a signal you're not hearing in the end (a harsh sound as you would hear by bypassing the cab simulation) so the overtones of a distortion are far more pronounced and therefore much more likely for the compressor to react to it.

if you're going for a more sustained sound on higain patches i d put the compressore before the amp. if you want to make the amp less boomy in the lows (like palm mutes) i d go for a multiband compressor after the band.

if you have something different in mind maybe the compressor before cab thing might work also, depending on what you want to archieve

Thank you, gin!

You guessed about palm mutes!

I use multicompressor to remove boomy in the low. This is the main reason!

By the way, just recorded a solo on this patch.

What do you think about this sound?

If the motor drive is very low or off, it won't matter. If an effect is linear time invariant (like the cab block), compressor before or after will not make a difference. On the other hand, if there is significant amounts of motor drive, it could make a difference.

Before or after the amp block is an entirely different story though. That makes a big difference.

If the motor drive is very low or off, it won't matter. If an effect is linear time invariant (like the cab block), compressor before or after will not make a difference. On the other hand, if there is significant amounts of motor drive, it could make a difference.

Before or after the amp block is an entirely different story though. That makes a big difference.

With comp it makes a difference (just to level, not tone) because the signal it's detecting has changed. F.ex a cab that cuts lows would probably make low palm-muted parts compress less when cab is before comp.

Back
Top Bottom