Compressor for Single Coil / Humbucker

WbbS

Experienced
Hi,

I need some help to set a compressor so that when I switch from Humbucker to single coil on my PRS custom 24 I can keep the same volume level.

Any way to do that?

I attach the preset I'm working on, maybe someone can suggest me where I'm wrong. I'm trying to get a warm, full clean sound.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Clean.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why don't you use the Input Gain parameter on the AMP block to do this? It's better suited to the task. A compressor prevents a signal level from going over a certain value. It doesn't raise a low signal up to certain value. So using a compressor would compressor your humbuckers but not your single coils and that'll make the 'buckers seem much, much louder than the single coils as they have more energy output that's being clamped by the compressor block to limit the peak.

Use the Level view in the FM3-Editor to figure out the peak output level with buckers. Switch to your single coils and then use the Input Gain parameter on the AMP block until you've got about the same peak output level happening. Note that Input Gain level setting and you can use that value on any other preset/AMP block where you need to do some level matching between the pickup types.

Why don't you use the Input Gain parameter on the AMP block to do this? It's better suited to the task. A compressor prevents a signal level from going over a certain value. It doesn't raise a low signal up to certain value. So using a compressor would compressor your humbuckers but not your single coils and that'll make the 'buckers seem much, much louder than the single coils as they have more energy output that's being clamped by the compressor block to limit the peak.

Use the Level view in the FM3-Editor to figure out the peak output level with buckers. Switch to your single coils and then use the Input Gain parameter on the AMP block until you've got about the same peak output level happening. Note that Input Gain level setting and you can use that value on any other preset/AMP block where you need to do some level matching between the pickup types.
Thanks a lot! It seems exactly what I need. I’ll try it!

Another approach is used by AustinBuddy where he sets up each preset with 4 scenes intended for HB's and 4 identical scenes for SC's. The only difference is the SC scenes have a null filter engaged with the level set to 3.5dB to boost the signal a bit. Works perfectly to my ears.

Are you sure FM3 has this parameter? I really can't find it and here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Input_1_Gain it says that:

The Axe-Fx III provides a parameter to adjust ALL presets for variations in guitar output level: Setup : I/O : Input : Input 1 Gain. It trims the level of Input 1 before the start of the grid so, unlike the A/D Input Level parameters, it has an impact on blocks such as the virtual amplifier. The FM3 doesn't provide this parameter.

Are you sure FM3 has this parameter? I really can't find it and here: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Input_1_Gain it says that:

The Axe-Fx III provides a parameter to adjust ALL presets for variations in guitar output level: Setup : I/O : Input : Input 1 Gain. It trims the level of Input 1 before the start of the grid so, unlike the A/D Input Level parameters, it has an impact on blocks such as the virtual amplifier. The FM3 doesn't provide this parameter.

iaresee writes about the Input Gain Parameter of the AMP BLOCK, this is also available in the FM3!

Ok, it compensate, but NOT within the same preset, same scene, if I switch the pickup the final level is not the same.
  • If I increase the input trim, this will increase the level of humbuckers as well, so it will be louder.
  • If I decrease the input trim, this will decrease the level of the single coil.

I need something reactive with pickup that recognize the input level and increase the low volume and decrease the high volume.

I don't believe any current device automatically detects single coil vs humbucker. Also if it did it purely by volume, it would boost as you rolled back your volume control which wouldn't be very helpful. It is being recommended that you make another scene, or activate a control switch, or scene modifier which you would toggle when you split your humbucker.

Also, on the guitar end, look up the PRS resistor mod. I believe this first came out on the DGT models and is a resistor between the split coil and ground. Instead of fully taking the coil out of the circuit, it only partially removes it in order to preserve some body and volume.

Last edited:
I need something reactive with pickup that recognize the input level and increase the low volume and decrease the high volume.
You could put a modifier on it and assign it to a switch and toggle it between two values depending on which guitar you're playing. Or an expression pedal.

Nothing can be reactive to the pickups. The unit doesn't know if you're playing humbuckers or single coils. It only sees an input single level.

You can certainly try using the compressor block as a limiter, but I think you're going to find it sucks the dynamics out of your humbuckers.

You can also just use a VOL block or a FIL block set to a null filter and set up a swtich to bypass/engage that block.

Reactions: Den
Thank you all!
I’ll try all of the options suggested to see which one is more immediate for my needs.

;)

I have gone to different presets for each guitar. Plenty of storage room. Use the preset level tool and then just use your ears to get the levels where you want them. MHO

Back
Top Bottom