Complete Beginner at EVERYTHING guitar

Woah there. Dude if you don't really play yet but can afford all that stuff then I'm sure you should be donating to charity or something... It's taken me most of my life to get to the point of being able to afford an axe fx ad build the skills to use it. When practicing use as few effects as possible and stick to the six string guitar. Guitar playing starts with playing - lots of it. It'll take more than a few years, more like a lifetime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ralphonz: It all comes down to your career choice, and priorities in life, managing money, and other things like that, that make it affordable. I by no means am a millionaire, nor anywhere close. I'm "Donating" money to the Fractal Audio charity. :)
Anywho... Like I've mentioned on the earlier posts here, my mindset at the time was to buy some quality gear, to learn on, I didn't wanna learn on mediocre "tools". I wanted to have top of the line stuff to get going with, and wanted to make sure I had reliable stuff to learn with since I would be doing it for quite sometime.
Please don't take offense to the tid bit of money talk mentioned earlier, just saying... I don't wanna give the wrong impression that I'm made of money. I work my ass of for everything I own, I make a ton of sacrifices to be able to afford a lifestyle that's a little bit better than average class.

Komrad,
Welcome to the greatest journey!

Here's some advice. Only follow if you seriously want to be a good guitar player:

1) Most important.... Do not give up! Most guitarists quit within the first year. They find out it's harder than they imagined and can't imagine getting good. What they don't realize is if they practice on a regular basis they will continue to improve. As they continue to improve they will experience small victories. Before long, they are playing and noticing they are getting better. Each time they get over a hump, they notice the pace at which they improve gets faster. But most never experience that because they quit too soon.

DO NOT GIVE UP.

2) Even though you tell yourself you won't give up..... there will be times you still want to give up. When that happens.... read #1 again and immediately start practicing your guitar.

3) When life starts to press on you, you may start to see your practice time get less and less. Don't let this get you down but don't let it continue for long. Read #1 and get back to practicing!

4) Repeat steps 1-3 on a daily basis if needed.

5) Find a good teacher in your area. If there are any good players in your area, ask them where they took (or take) lessons. If you have travel a bit, it's worth it if the teacher is good.

6) Practice exactly what the teacher tells you to practice and then more if you have time. But listen to your teacher. Trust your teacher. Communicate with your teacher if you have concerns, issues, etc.

7) If later on you realize the teacher was not really a good teacher, consider looking for another teacher but be cautious as you may realize your teacher was better than you think. You don't know what you don't know right now and your perception of what you should be doing might be off. However, if you do feel there is a better teacher out there for you, take a lesson or 2 with them before you quit from the other teacher (unless you know for sure this is the best move).

8) Have fun!! Play your guitar!! BUT.... do not confuse "playing' your guitar with "practicing" your guitar. They are both important and you must do both in order to get better faster.

Hope this helps a bit.

Gotta go!

Here's a question.
I just got another piece of Fractal Gear, The MFC-101 Mark3 today in the mail.
Plugged it in via Cat5 cable, as instructed over Youtube, and as soon as I turned the AxeFX on, everything powered up, and a message appeared on the MFC-101, which read "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!"... What does this mean? and would someone on here be willing to lend me a hand to configure the device to my AxeFX? I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's a question.
I just got another piece of Fractal Gear, The MFC-101 Mark3 today in the mail.
Plugged it in via Cat5 cable, as instructed over Youtube, and as soon as I turned the AxeFX on, everything powered up, and a message appeared on the MFC-101, which read "AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!"... What does this mean? and would someone on here be willing to lend me a hand to configure the device to my AxeFX? I would greatly appreciate it.

have you read the MFC Quick Start or the manual? you need to change a few things in the Setup and MIDI menus depending on the cable you choose.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/mfc-101/MFC-101-Quickstart.pdf

I'm completely new at this. And I haven't read it yet.
Im using a Cat5 connection between the two devices.

I'm completely new at this. And I haven't read it yet.
Im using a Cat5 connection between the two devices.

the quick start i linked above is one page. i suggest reading it :)

but press the Edit switch on the MFC, then Switch 5. change that to match the Mode of your Axe-Fx II using the Bank Up/Down switches.

when you're done with that, press Edit again to exit.

then press Edit again, then Switch 4. change that to Expansion, which is the correct choice for the Ethernet port. press Edit again to exit.

if you have an Axe-Fx II XL or XL+, you also need to change a menu option in the I/O menu. i don't have those details with me right now, but the Quick Start does mention what to do.

I read it, and got to the point to where the MFC-101 is communicating with the AxeFX 2 XL+.
Just wanna know how to set different effects on the MFC, per preset? I have no clue on how to do that.
and how does the tuner come up on the MFC?

I read it, and got to the point to where the MFC-101 is communicating with the AxeFX 2 XL+.
Just wanna know how to set different effects on the MFC, per preset? I have no clue on how to do that.
and how does the tuner come up on the MFC?

here's an excerpt that focuses on assigning what each Switch controls:

but I'd watch the full thing here:

Back
Top Bottom