Compiling A List of Great Music Created With PRS Guitars.

Wow. Steven says some things in the first 5 minutes (as far as I've got) that are pretty interesting, taken in the context of this thread.

I saw that the other day. He really likes that Telecaster. And that 5 watt Hughes and Kettner tube amp.

Makes me wonder if versatility is an enemy of the artist? Seems like when you are going for a specific
vibe or thing then a do-it-all guitar is best left for the cover band.

I saw that the other day. He really likes that Telecaster.
Yeah, but the things he says about both guitars seem to be pigeon-holing them. Like alluding that the PRS is somehow "metal", and the Tele is, like, 'twang.' Just look at the sounds John 5 gets from his Tele's!

You can get versatility out of many many guitars these days. Same with amps. I'm wondering how much of what makes a person "bond" with, or get instantly inspired by, a piece of gear, is the fact that it's something that's new to them, at that point in time. Like, if you came back to it a week later, after having not even picked up a guitar, and had completely fresh ears, would you still like it? But I'm getting off topic.

Makes me wonder if versatility is an enemy of the artist?

I think it just depends on who you are, and where you are tonally at that moment in your life. I think versatility is your friend as long as you can actually find what you need in there, and you can avoid getting lost in the weeds of tone (The Weeds of Tone should absolutely be the name of an obscure but great guitar instrumental album). I know that versatility is the biggest thing I go for, because I find these days that using a tone for your musical idea that is not typical for that type of lick or riff can bring things to life so much more effectively; at least it lights up different parts of my brain. Like the old adage of using less gain than you think you need, or just the idea of using odd tone for what you’re saying musically.

But that versatility can get in the way of you just end up wasting time trying to find what you need in an array of too many options, and you start becoming a sound engineer (nothing wrong with that!) instead of playing like you meant to do that day! And I think this is where some people realize they love the weeds best, which is totally awesome, because they’ll sometimes end up being the designers of gear we all love. Bruce Zinky said something to that effect about himself. :)

Geesh, you are making my inner, grumpy, old man seem like a Pollyanna today. :)

That's a lot of shade being thrown in the direction of a genre of music that a lot
of people loved and were inspired by. To call an entire era of musicians "posers" is
more than a little heavy, don't ya think.?

My understanding is while everyone was selling in their vintage gear (Les Pauls, Strats,
Marshalls, and Mustangs) for guitars with Floyds and pointy headstocks those with
little cash were going to pawn shops and buying them up, because they were so cheap.
It was not a conscious choice, as much as a choice born out of necessity. And they also
wanted to create their own genuine movement and not repeat and follow trends already
in place. To me that is art at its purest. Posers are those who follow a trend, not those
who make new ones. :)
Oh well let the shade fall where it may. I’m not saying every artist that came from the genre was worthless, but the depressive attitude it spread across the music creation world was crummy IMHO. Plus when I used the word “poser” I should have been a bit more specific and been more clear that I was referring to all the ones that came along purely as industry fabrications or intentional bandwagon sellouts. But really most humans are posing in some way or another. Have you ever noticed when fashions like that actually get widespread appeal the kernel of truth that was pure is already over. It was like that with the late 60’s and the hippie generation. The real movement started in the early 60’s and the event that was to signify its pinnacle was actually it’s death knell. Woodstock and later and for certain Altamont. Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll didn’t work out so well. Well the sex and drugs. All the heroes were dying or killing themselves. Same with the second half of the 70’s punk scene. It was already over in England by the time it hit everywhere.

I still contend to some degree that even the “one’s that started the trend” we’re just copying what had already been done. Just with a tinge of modern psyche meds involved. So I stand behind “poser”, just maybe with less attitude than it translated. I think Kurt Cobain was a creative dude, but could have been so much more.

Update:
I knew when I wrote the original opinion is would ruffle some feathers, but mostly stand behind it. Also some bands got shoved into the “alternative/grunge” genre that really didn’t deserve it. I’m a huge fan of Alice In Chains and Jerry Cantrell. IMO they were just a heavy duty R&R band. Same with Stone Temple Pilots, but that’s pretty much where it ends for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the things he says about both guitars seem to be pigeon-holing them. Like alluding that the PRS is somehow "metal", and the Tele is, like, 'twang.' Just look at the sounds John 5 gets from his Tele's!

You can get versatility out of many many guitars these days. Same with amps. I'm wondering how much of what makes a person "bond" with, or get instantly inspired by, a piece of gear, is the fact that it's something that's new to them, at that point in time. Like, if you came back to it a week later, after having not even picked up a guitar, and had completely fresh ears, would you still like it? But I'm getting off topic.
+1 Look at Leslie West and a one pickup giant single coil Les Paul Jr. heavy duty and a PA head!!

Last edited:
I am more interested in what has actually happened, and what that says about guitars,
and why people choose what they actually choose. Real data. :)

If PRS is indeed all that, then why is it not prominently in the music released and created in the
past 30 to 35 years?

Again, I own 3 Core models, so I am not an hater, as much as someone who feels there is a big
discrepancy between what PRS is as a consumer good that has some cachet in the market, and
what PRS is as a creative tool for artists.
Love em or hate em, nickelback for a good 10+ years. Next. P

It wasn’t the prettiest PRS… lol View attachment 103649

My guitar tech is Spitz former tech, he’s got a bunch of closeup pics of that in his workroom. When I first walked in I stood there for a second (I’m a HUGE TMNT fan) and stared at them. He goes “Oh that’s my buddy Dan’s guitar, he used to play in Anthrax but he makes watches now. That mirror pickguard on the wall is from when I worked on his 7-string.”

Horrible headstock, but I LOVE that damn guitar!

Good points. I am not sure what it is. I know Steven wanted---based on his own words when he was on That Pedal Show---a
totally different sound for his solo work. That is where that Tele rig came from, and then he has now brought that rig back to
Porcupine Tree.

I did notice that he held the Tele the whole time, and played it. Not once did he pick up the PRS Singlecut.

It sure does seem that our tastes and tendencies can change over time. Maybe what we strive for in our 20s is different in than
what we strive for in our 40s or 50s. Unless you are Slash or Angus Young. ;)

I saw that the other day. He really likes that Telecaster. And that 5 watt Hughes and Kettner tube amp.

Makes me wonder if versatility is an enemy of the artist? Seems like when you are going for a specific
vibe or thing then a do-it-all guitar is best left for the cover band.
I agree that all the choices that we have now in every area can be very stifling and just plain overwhelming. So many directions a person can go at their finger tips. I was watching a Tim Pierce vid today on Leslie West and someone asked if he used any drive pedals when he found the Mississippi Queen sound. Tim got into how probably not because there just wasn’t that stuff around. All those guys were just using what was available. Which was rather limited, but worked.

Heck I started in the very late 70’s and my sound was a Big Muff Pi Rams Head into a Deluxe Memory Man and a Fender Band Master. When I listen to recordings, while some of it is a little noisy when everything was grooving it’s a sound that I’m not sure I could reproduce exactly now. Possibly because I couldn’t play that badly if I tried.😁

Not helping the case for PRS. Not even a little. So Nickelback and Creed. Ouch! ;)
Someone said nothing seriously noteworthy has been done on a PRS and Im willing to bet most people can hum a nickelback tune if not quote a lyric.

Heck I started in the very late 70’s and my sound was a Big Muff Pi Rams Head into a Deluxe Memory Man and a Fender Band Master. When I listen to recordings, while some of it is a little noisy when everything was grooving it’s a sound that I’m not sure I could reproduce exactly now. Possibly because I couldn’t play that badly if I tried.😁

I'd love to have that rig!! :)

That George Lynch and Jeff Pilson interview I linked above has a part in
there where they talk about a similar thing. Even how they would use
endorsed gear because it was free and they were broke. :)

Even the big names question why they chase gear now so much when
they were happy to use what they had back in the day.

Geesh, you are making my inner, grumpy, old man seem like a Pollyanna today. :)

That's a lot of shade being thrown in the direction of a genre of music that a lot
of people loved and were inspired by. To call an entire era of musicians "posers" is
more than a little heavy, don't ya think.?

My understanding is while everyone was selling in their vintage gear (Les Pauls, Strats,
Marshalls, and Mustangs) for guitars with Floyds and pointy headstocks those with
little cash were going to pawn shops and buying them up, because they were so cheap.
It was not a conscious choice, as much as a choice born out of necessity. And they also
wanted to create their own genuine movement and not repeat and follow trends already
in place. To me that is art at its purest. Posers are those who follow a trend, not those
who make new ones. :)
Oh and I forgot one thing. The point that they were buying instruments they could afford (for whatever reason…the point you made about people selling their stuff for super Strats is a good one) references the “lawyer, doctor, collector” stigma that is a knock on PRS that I think is bogus. I played for over 20 years until I worked and bettered myself to the point I could afford a PRS. But the whole time I couldn’t afford one I never once copped an attitude that they were bling and not worth my time or desire. I just would go into the one music store that had a CE and tell myself one day I will own a PRS. Didn’t even know that I was looking at a CE and not the “quintessential” PRS. Not knocking CE’s they are great.

I guess that summarizes my opinion that the reasons for PRS having certain attitudes surrounding it are all unfounded and just plain old envy to some degree. I’m not accusing you of this, but that’s what is behind it. So things like trying to use how many great songs or movements had PRS at the center to try and validate the company or instrument is based on a mostly mistaken premise. It’s all good. I have no problem with a good discussion.

Last edited:
Oh and I forgot one thing. The point that they were buying instruments they could afford (for whatever reason…the point you made about people selling their stuff for super Strats is a good one) references the “lawyer, doctor, collector” stigma that is a knock on PRS that I think is bogus. I played for over 20 years until I worked and bettered myself to the point I could afford a PRS. But the whole time I couldn’t afford one I never once copped an attitude that they were bling and not worth my time or desire. I just would go into the one music store that had a CE and tell myself one day I will own a PRS. Didn’t even know that I was looking at a CE and not the “quintessential” PRS. Not knocking CE’s they are great.

I guess that summarizes my opinion that the reasons for PRS having certain attitudes surrounding it are all unfounded and just plain old envy to some degree. I’m not accusing you of this, but that’s what is behind it. So things like trying to use how many great songs or movements had PRS at the center to try and validate the company or instrument is based on a mostly mistaken premise. It’s a good. I have no problem with a good discussion.

Quality is definitely not a question or concern I would ever put forth. I was just wondering
why when I thought about how good PRS is it doesn't seem to match the creative output
maybe of other brands. Sorry to beat that same point to death again and again. :)

For me, starting this thread was never about questioning the value of PRS as a brand or
as individual instruments.

Heck, maybe in another 30 years this thread would seem silly, and a bunch of great music will
have been created by then with PRS at the forefront. I guess I just expected there to be more
than I was already aware of since 1985.

Quality is definitely not a question or concern I would ever put forth. I was just wondering
why when I thought about how good PRS is it doesn't seem to match the creative output
maybe of other brands. Sorry to beat that same point to death again and again. :)

For me, starting this thread was never about questioning the value of PRS as a brand or
as individual instruments.

Heck, maybe in another 30 years this thread would seem silly, and a bunch of great music will
have been created by then with PRS at the forefront. I guess I just expected there to be more
than I was already aware of since 1985.
Yeah you’re right. I was trying to keep the discussion on point as best as possible, but got into the weeds a bit. I tend to do that sometimes. While I don’t feel I’m a “fanboy” in any way it is something I have a certain amount of passion. Mainly because when I was finally able to own a PRS (circa 2001) and was so happy to have it I all of a sudden and completely blindsided at the time started to read and hear all this animus towards the brand and owners and it was hard to not take it personally. It was very deflating to say the least. Here I thought everyone loved PRS and admittedly I was naive about the attitudes. So, I definitely appreciate a discussion that doesn’t get into the over the top mud slinging. I apologize if I got a bit passionate at times.😀

It's all good. Except for dissing "Grunge." ;)

I kid. No offense taken, and hopefully none received. :)

While we all have our loyalties and passions about certain things
there are a lot of people hurting and in trouble, and these are sometimes
useful distractions and diversions from the all too "real" world. I try to
do my best to keep things like this in perspective. Not like I own stock in
any music brands. :)

Back
Top Bottom