Compact PA recommendations

addedc

Experienced
Our former bass player left town with the PA and the truck he used to transport it. We all drive smaller cars, so I am looking for a compact PA for 3 vocal mics, the bass, kick drum and snare, one guitar and maybe a second later. I was going to buy a Yamaha StagePass600i but the sound just really didn't seem quite there. There are some Yamaha EMX powered mixers available used locally, but the speakers, plus a monitor or two, all seem too large to fit in our cars with the other gear. The Bose system looks compact -- and expensive -- but it seems better for acoustic. We play classic rock. Anyone face a similar problem and where did you end up?

I'd say you're out of luck. Rock and small size PAs don't go together very well. Should be at least 2 x 12" tops + 1 x 18" sub. Buy active speakers so you don't need an extra power-amp rack. A small mixer like a Behringer XR18 might be good enough.

That's unfortunate. I still like my 2004 G35 coupe and would hate to have to trade it for a truck or SUV

Our former bass player left town with the PA and the truck he used to transport it. We all drive smaller cars, so I am looking for a compact PA for 3 vocal mics, the bass, kick drum and snare, one guitar and maybe a second later. I was going to buy a Yamaha StagePass600i but the sound just really didn't seem quite there. There are some Yamaha EMX powered mixers available used locally, but the speakers, plus a monitor or two, all seem too large to fit in our cars with the other gear. The Bose system looks compact -- and expensive -- but it seems better for acoustic. We play classic rock. Anyone face a similar problem and where did you end up?
My band plays thru Bose L1, 1S! We have synth/keys, electronic drums, 2 guitars, bass, 3 vocals. No amps on stage, in ear monitors. Classic Rock never sounded as good plus, they double as a light stands!

My band plays thru Bose L1, 1S! We have synth/keys, electronic drums, 2 guitars, bass, 3 vocals. No amps on stage, in ear monitors. Classic Rock never sounded as good plus, they double as a light stands!

Using an e-drum is key here as it allows you to significantly reduce the overall volume level and PA power requirements.

Mackie SRM450 v2 or v3 & mixer. Bose L1, L2 or if possible the new Bose F1. Great reviews on the F1. Only negative is the housing would look worn after just a few months.

We use a pair of QSC K10's for vocals, brass and occasional keys depending on the line up. Drums and backline are live. We lack the bottom end for a kick so want to add a sub but have the same issue that you have in that we all go in cars so the sub will have to be small to fit the available space. I have a reasonably sized estate car (station wagon ;) ) but still don't have much room left for a sub :(

Similar boat here - we luckily have a sound guy with system that cost 200 for most gigs. Any chance there's room for a small trailer at anyones place of residence? I've always been curious about those bose systems. Never seen a full band using one. We've had pretty good shows with just 2 - 1x12" JBL PRX speakers. Vox, keys and Kick mainly going through. Did the job for a small bar.

Thanks for the replies. A van is definitely more rock and roll but the G is more fun to drive. I will check out specs on these suggestions as the other guys have cars we can use, too. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

There's always the U-haul van at $19.95 per day plus $1 a mile if you need the rock and roll sound but it won't fit in your vehicle.

I think there are a lot more choices if you avoid powered mixers and go with powered speakers. Also, most digital mixers seem to be more comact per channel when compared to analog.

I can give you a variety of recommendations....but need to know your budget.

If you want to put bass/kick through your PA, you need a sub....no way around that.

Budget is somewhat flexible, but we want to keep it within reason on what we will earn back on it. We were thinking of starting around $1,500 and then adding a sub later for whatever that adds. We're in Hawaii so stuff is a bit more expensive here.

That's not a lot. I'd start with 2 RFC 712 and try to get a used digitial mixer. No idea how much that would cost in Hawaii, though.

Budget is somewhat flexible, but we want to keep it within reason on what we will earn back on it. We were thinking of starting around $1,500 and then adding a sub later for whatever that adds. We're in Hawaii so stuff is a bit more expensive here.

If you don't need many channels, then go with a Behringer XR16 mixer (used $300), and then look for some JBL PRX712 tops and a PRX718xlf Sub.
The PRX700 series are on a DEEP discount because they just launched the PRX800 series.
You can likely find new at 400 per top and 700 for the sub. Puts you a little over your budget....so maybe look for used.

Back
Top Bottom