Communication time out in Ax8 Edit

hmm.. not a lot of info to go on, like which OS, etc? ??

Search the forum on connection issues..
Check: usb cable, change usb port, FAS USB drivers installed and so on..??

hmm.. not a lot of info to go on, like which OS, etc? ??

Search the forum on connection issues..
Check: usb cable, change usb port, FAS USB drivers installed and so on..??
Changed ports, Vista OS, 2 GIG, FAS USB drivers install when you plug in the a AX8 correct?

I have the same problem with Vista, and I think it's related to that. It works for me on Windows 10. When I contacted support they suggested I send in my unit. You may want to contact them. But if you have another OS available, give that a try too.

I have the same problem with Vista, and I think it's related to that. It works for me on Windows 10. When I contacted support they suggested I send in my unit. You may want to contact them. But if you have another OS available, give that a try too.
It's suppose to work with Vista. That's the only OS I have. It will load the preset, sometimes but when it starts reading the other parameters, it times out and you can't click on anything else in the edit.

Last edited:
Yeah believe me I know it's supposed to work with Vista. I was fortunate to have inherited another laptop the day after I discovered it didn't work with my Vista machine.

If you do happen to send your unit in I'd love to hear any updates you have about if or when this problem is solved.

Yeah believe me I know it's supposed to work with Vista. I was fortunate to have inherited another laptop the day after I discovered it didn't work with my Vista machine.

If you do happen to send your unit in I'd love to hear any updates you have about if or when this problem is solved.
I hope this doesn't sound mean or anything, but if I have to send it in, it's staying there.

I don't have an AX8, but I assume it connects like the Axe..
Did you go into the editor, settings.. and select the input/output ports?
Here's a screen shot of my AX8 edit

upload_2016-4-3_11-16-1.png
and from my Axe2
upload_2016-4-3_11-14-36.png

You said you were on Vista?
Based on what you've stated, it might simply be that..
You do KNOW that Vista has been EOL (end of life) since 2010, right? 2017 - if you are paying for extended support.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=11732

I've run with XP, XP64, Win7, 7x64 and now Win10 x64 and NEVER had a communication issue.. and I can assure you I install a LOT more editor builds than most.
I doubt this is an AX8 or FAS software issue.

You said you were on Vista?
Based on what you've stated, it might simply be that..
You do KNOW that Vista has been EOL (end of life) since 2010, right? 2017 - if you are paying for extended support.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?c2=11732

I've run with XP, XP64, Win7, 7x64 and now Win10 x64 and NEVER had a communication issue.. and I can assure you I install a LOT more editor builds than most.
I doubt this is an AX8 or FAS software issue.
Then why does it sometimes load the current patch I'm on. When it tries to read parameters is when it times out. I couldnt even get the drivers that I'm not suppose to need to load.

Then why does it sometimes load the current patch I'm on. When it tries to read parameters is when it times out. I couldnt even get the drivers that I'm not suppose to need to load.
You ARE supposed to install the FAS USB drivers! You can find the OLD USB drivers for Vista under the Axe-Fx software link in my sig below.
or here http://steve.sideroadsband.com/AxeFx/firmware/USB_drivers/win/Axe-Fx_II_USB_Driver_Setup_150.exe

My guess is that this is a Vista issue..
If it sometimes works, it's NOT a Fractal problem. It could be the way Vista handles MIDI, supported USB version, drivers, etc...
It might be time to upgrade to a newer OS.. Vista was junk.. it lasted < 3 days on my PC (back then).

You ARE supposed to install the FAS USB drivers! You can find the OLD USB drivers for Vista under the Axe-Fx software link in my sig below.
or here http://steve.sideroadsband.com/AxeFx/firmware/USB_drivers/win/Axe-Fx_II_USB_Driver_Setup_150.exe

My guess is that this is a Vista issue..
If it sometimes works, it's NOT a Fractal problem. It could be the way Vista handles MIDI, supported USB version, drivers, etc...
It might be time to upgrade to a newer OS.. Vista was junk.. it lasted < 3 days on my PC (back then).
I believe its a vista issue too. But in the AX-8 notes it states:
NOTES:
* AX8-Edit requires an AX8 running Firmware version 1.0 or newer.
* The AX8 requires NO DRIVER. Simply connect it to your computer with a USB Cable and launch AX8-Edit.
* AX8-Edit works in tandem with the AX8 in a client-server type relationship, AX8-Edit requires an AX8 to be connected for all operations.

I believe its a vista issue too. But in the AX-8 notes it states:
NOTES:
* AX8-Edit requires an AX8 running Firmware version 1.0 or newer.
* The AX8 requires NO DRIVER. Simply connect it to your computer with a USB Cable and launch AX8-Edit.
* AX8-Edit works in tandem with the AX8 in a client-server type relationship, AX8-Edit requires an AX8 to be connected for all operations.
Like I said.. I don't have an AX8... but I read that in the manual
Code:
USB – This provides the AX8 with two-way “MIDI-over-USB” capabilities when connected to a
compatible Mac or PC. No driver is required. The AX8 does not have USB audio capabilities.
but I'd still guess it's Vista related.. and I haven't run Vista in yrs..
Do you have another computer (non-Vista - or a friends) that you can try with to confirm its Vista?
Vista is ancient..

We've had this conversation in another thread recently. I too believe it's a Vista issue though could be wrong about that. Vista is not junk as I've used it for years now without issue. Most importantly, the Fractal site says that AX8 Edit runs on Vista.

Its a vista issue. Do what I ended up doing, buy a windows 7 license online for $35, update your pc to win 7, then get the free win 10 upgrade. It will work flawlessly on win 7 and up.

Back
Top Bottom