Commercial recording made with Axe-FX II?

Pro recording is going to sound like a pro commercial recording regardless of the gear used. Doesn't mean its always an ideal tone, as its subjective to what the artist/producer likes, but once its been mastered your really not going to be able to tell much, if anything, of if the tone is Axe, KPA, real amp etc.

As such, I'm not really sure what you can take away from listening to a recording done, or not done, with the Axe

If you're looking for metal, a lot of stuff from Devin Townsend is on the Axe FX. I think the album Deconstruction was recorded with an Ultra, which is old at this point, but damn if it doesn't sound awesome.

What matters...?

In the studio you got $50,000 signal chains with mics and pres and everything....

...but live when people are paying $100 a ticket they got $100 SM58's in front of them singing.

To me- it's not about what's been done with it thus far- but how close it can get to before.

When I first got an Ultra or a II I don't remember- this was a little bit before tone matching- I had guitarhero or something tracks to some commerical/major recordings-

I basically wanted to see up front if i could get it to sound identical to the isolated guitar on a major release- and with very little effort I did it perfectly- and then knew the Axe was a keeper- and

to me...
what really matters- isn't who's using it today on recordings- it's if you can get the magic of a million dollar recorded album guitar out of it- and it did- 12 firmwares ago! now it's just ecstasy.

The Parallax II: Future Sequence and onward from Between the Buried and Me are Axe-Fx II in the studio. They've been using them live for years. Deftones are another AF2 studio band nowadays (from Koi No Yokan onwards). There's many more and many not metal, but that's what comes to mind at the moment

Back
Top Bottom