CLR guys

So does anybody know enough about how IRs work to know if by bumping the resolution to 10,000 points would effectively eliminate the low end issues that modeler people are always describing? Or was that DAR amps guy just looking to waste some CPU processing power?

Two pretty smart guys that do not agree on many things both say 2048 is more than enough. One guy who wants to sell you something says 10,000 is better. I have used the fractal stuff direct for 6+ years running with no such low end issues.

I'm not buying the dar thing. Just sayin'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Are some of the bank A presets slightly bass heavy even on your flat systems? Specifically some of those recto patches? Stuff like Recto Vintage. Maybe it's just my monitors. Wondering.

My two cents -- I got rid of the CLR after two gigs because I thought it was ..... should I say the word ........ OK I won't say it.
lmao.gif

I had a real hard time with it. I am not a studio rat just a meat and potatoes club player.

there is no FOH or sound guy at the clubs I play in NJ -- mostly small (under 100)

I found the Matrix amp with the Matrix passive cab (Q12) more guitar player friendly.

Amp/cab only source of amplification for my guitar -- not for monitoring.

Easy to dial in.

Easy to gig with.

Everything sounds great.

Made my transition from tubes to Axe effortless.

Already done 13 gigs with it.

No issues

I am happy camper!
19b1f313.gif

Last edited:
IMO a 10000 point IR would actually be a disadvantage, because this would also give you roughly the first 200ms of room reflections as well as the sound of the cabinet, but nothing after that time. This would leave you with a smudgier tone and an incomplete room sound in the IR.

So does anybody know enough about how IRs work to know if by bumping the resolution to 10,000 points would effectively eliminate the low end issues that modeler people are always describing? Or was that DAR amps guy just looking to waste some CPU processing power?

The quality of the capture and the space or lack of would determine the low frequency response (all else being equal).

It is certainly possible to create a 10000 sample IR that would have boomy bass.

Two pretty smart guys that do not agree on many things both say 2048 is more than enough. One guy who wants to sell you something says 10,000 is better. I have used the fractal stuff direct for 6+ years running with no such low end issues.

I'm not buying the dar thing. Just sayin'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

IMO, this is over generalizing.

There are lots of good convolution IR plugins that use more that 2048 samples to recreate spatial effects.

I don't doubt Cliff or Jay when they say 2048 samples are adequate to recreate a guitar speaker's response.

But longer IR's are used all the time, for post process guitar tracks in DAW's.

My two cents -- I got rid of the CLR after two gigs because I thought it was ..... should I say the word ........ OK I won't say it.
lmao.gif

I had a real hard time with it. I am not a studio rat just a meat and potatoes club player.

there is no FOH or sound guy at the clubs I play in NJ -- mostly small (under 100)

I found the Matrix amp with the Matrix passive cab (Q12) more guitar player friendly.

Amp/cab only source of amplification for my guitar -- not for monitoring.

Easy to dial in.

Easy to gig with.

Everything sounds great.

Made my transition from tubes to Axe effortless.

Already done 13 gigs with it.

No issues

I am happy camper!
19b1f313.gif

Total respect for you, your situation, and your solution. I tried your patches and found they contained WAY too much bass and low mids on my flat speaker (CLR). I have listened to all kinds of sound sources through the CLR and can confidently say that the bass and low mid reproduction is not hyped but quite the opposite it is very balanced, clear, and transparent.

Your solution is great for you because you don't ever go direct to PA. I go direct to PA all the time, so I need my tones to sound right on a flat system. Hence we have different solutions that work for our differing needs. Basically what I'm asserting is that YES the CLR is very flat, NO it didn't give you the tones you were looking for easily, BUT that doesn't mean that your speaker IS flat, but rather that you like the sound of your speaker in your application. That is not the same as flat, and that does not make the CLR boomy because I assure you, it is not.

Let's not forget that I respect your experiences, needs, and solution, but with my experience on all different stages and rooms with the CLR, I can confidently say it is anything but boomy unless you are comparing it to a speaker with little to no low end response.

Sorry about the thread drift, but I do feel it is somewhat relevent considering this is a CLR thread about low end detail. :)

Back
Top Bottom