Clipping?

jmcorey

Egads, I hope that solving this will not be too complicated.

When I play a guitar into some of the presets, I get some clipping. I cannot tell whether this is:
  1. Caused by the amp model
  2. Caused by the cab/speaker model
  3. Caused by something inside the models, where there might be "internal clipping"
But I don't think it is due to inputs being excessive. I barely hit the reds on the input meters.

Where do I start? Is there a systematic way to examine this?

Thanks....

hitting the red on the input is not something bad, and its not related to output clipping ( in fact, when you hit the string hard, the red input lights should light). Some amps are louder than other but this is not the only reason why some presets are louder than other. anyway, try lowering the amp level, or the output level if your preset is not based on 2 amps balanced to some output level. Many options are available to manage your output, there is no real systematic way of doing it, while there is common ways. I personnally use the amp level to set things up to desired output level

As more of a primer, but less obnoxious than "use the search function" if you really want to get up to speed, you want to:
Read all the stuff in the TechNotes section. Clipping, Input Trim, cathodes, tube bias.... a blinding array of material to absorb.
Soak up all of the instructional videos on YouTube from guys like Scott Peterson, Chris (Fractal Audio Help guru), Cooper Carter, and anything else you can find.
Use Yek's Axe Wiki (amazing resource) http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home
Experiment. Twist knobs. Flick switches. You're not gonna break anything unless you are actually loud enough actually blow a speaker or an eardrum. It's a virtual laboratory.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom