Clipping problem with my Ultra ( My own presets )

Cem

Experienced
Hey guys, I have a problem while creating new patches. The problem is, whatever I do my "Out1 Clip" led keeps flashing.

I don't use any extraordinary settings with amp,cab,input,output,compressor or anything. I've checked out all of them. The only solution was, lowering the LEVEL on the amp section. ( Input, output were initialized, and also Cab and Comp Level was 0 dB ) But then volume problem pops out. With low level on amp section ( NOT MASTER VOLUME ) I can't reach to the other patches' volume level. ( The default presets I mean ).

I also use some of the default presets, they never clip but there is a big volume difference between, my own presets and defaults. ( And they don't fucking clip somehow! )

I think, I've checked out everything, from I/O to any other possible place to look for.

What am I gonna do? And I'm sure that the led works properly, cause the default patches DON'T CLIP!!

Help me.

Thanks in advance.

That sounds strange. But as Michele mentioned, a patch or two would really help with clearing it up

Jens

i had a look. if you take 4db off both your patches, then they stop clipping. have you tried these loud? you're trying to match the volume of a clean sound to a distorted sound. distorted sounds always need to be louder than clean sounds, so you don't need to match the volumes exactly...the clean sounds can be quieter. i'm talking about using them in a band situation, here.

there's nothing wrong with your patches, they're just too loud (i checked them for excess sub bass and had a look at all the blocks)

you might want to simply adjust the presets you use down a bit and saving them, or even creating a separate bank with all your favourites, tweaked as you like them.

sim

Of course clean tones should be a little quiter than driven ones, but the balance between general low driven presets and my cleans isn't really right.

But that can mean that, also the default presets are too loud, and if so, it would correct the mistake, but the problem is, why doesn't the default patches Clip then? My patches look like more balanced according to them, but only mines clip.

Anyway, you said " take off 4db both off your patches", from which parameter shall take of 4 db?

Thank you for your time by the way.

And a little last question, my output1 maybe too low, and that's why I might set my patches too loud ( as you say ), its something like my output1 is something near "1" ( 0-10 ) but still some patches I use from default is very loudy.

Maybe that's the problem?

well you can take 4db off the amp level, or the main patch level (layout > 4 pages right)

remember that the default patches are just examples. they're not balanced between each other, or balanced for inclusion in live sets

clean sounds are more "spiky" than gainy ones and will have sharper transients that will push the unit into clipping.

you need to do what everyone else has to do and create a set of sounds that are balanced, so that they're all at the right relative volume when you switch between them. you need to leave enough headroom, so that the loudest sound you use does not clip (this will probably be a lead sound)

there's no easy fix, i'm afraid. it's well worth assigning two ia buttons on your controller for inc/dec patch volume (cc numbers 35 and 36) so you can adjust patch volume on the fly until they're all set up properly.

sim

+1 on everything Simeon has written here.

Forget about the stock presets, just match the levels of your own presets.
And when matching preset levels, make sure you're playing at the volume level you will be using them.
If that is "gig level", you'll find that you need to turn down the level of your clean presets not just a bit but a lot.
After doing that, resist the temptation to adjust them again when playing at home volume level. ;)
BTW, lowering the Amp level doesn't hurt the tone in any way.

Thanks to all. I did what you have said, and the problem looks like solved at the moment, we will see when live is goin on :)

Back
Top Bottom