Cliffs of Dover (Live)

dkijc said:
Great job, m8! Really enjoyed it. Keep at it, mate!

ps. Nothing major but wanted to ask you a technical question. In the beginning you had the ambient E going through your single line notes. How did you do that? Is there like a EH's 'FREEZE' pedal in the AxeFx?

Yep, just set an IA switch to control any External 1-10 and then set that external as a modifier on the Delay Repeat Hold line of a delay block!

That was fantastic. Tough song. I got a nasty blister on my pinky when I had to learn a good portion of that for one of my Berklee classes. I like that your bass player had the Eric Johnson wig on. ;)

Yep, just set an IA switch to control any External 1-10 and then set that external as a modifier on the Delay Repeat Hold line of a delay block!
Whoa.. I thought I knew a bit of vocabulary in the Axe world but that just blew right by me. Lol. I think I kind of get it, at the same time I don't. Haha Sorry!

I am sorry. I couldnt pay attention to the music. I was watching to see if someone was gonna stomp on that Axe-Fx.

Dude! Rack it Rack it Rack it!!!

You have chops for days bud.

Funny, I know you are carping about the few clams there, but really an excellent, fluid, fun rendition. I'm extremely impressed.

Sound impression: This is sort of what I hear in the headphones when I play...without headphones, there is zero brittleness and it sounds lovely. With headphones, I hear all the 'chopped' notes (overmute or missed picking...) Never comes across with a mic'ed cab, or through my FRFR, but with headphones I hear it (such as the FX seems more washed out...less prevalent.)

If I can offer some notes:
1. You are so familiar with the song that it seems like you're almost TOO casual playing it? The song demands a bit of emotion. Technically you KILL it. But it doesn't seem like you feel it. (I know it sucks in bad lighting, 'get your butt on stage' mentality. and 'one and done' where you don't have time to get into the groove.)
2. I think the preset is there. So tough to get it right tonally on crappy video, but man, the glimpses are awesome. Get a recorder and get a feed from the board every time...

You have huge talent bud! Really good stuff.

Ron

You have chops for days bud.

Funny, I know you are carping about the few clams there, but really an excellent, fluid, fun rendition. I'm extremely impressed.

Sound impression: This is sort of what I hear in the headphones when I play...without headphones, there is zero brittleness and it sounds lovely. With headphones, I hear all the 'chopped' notes (overmute or missed picking...) Never comes across with a mic'ed cab, or through my FRFR, but with headphones I hear it (such as the FX seems more washed out...less prevalent.)

If I can offer some notes:
1. You are so familiar with the song that it seems like you're almost TOO casual playing it? The song demands a bit of emotion. Technically you KILL it. But it doesn't seem like you feel it. (I know it sucks in bad lighting, 'get your butt on stage' mentality. and 'one and done' where you don't have time to get into the groove.)
2. I think the preset is there. So tough to get it right tonally on crappy video, but man, the glimpses are awesome. Get a recorder and get a feed from the board every time...

You have huge talent bud! Really good stuff.

Ron

Thanks for the compliments! And I definitely agree with the sound impression.
1) I definitely like to "feel it" when I'm playing...check out the SoloAWeek videos: some would say I look like I'm feeling it a bit too much LOL. In this case, you are absolutely right; definitely a "one and done" situation. This was an alumni talent show for my fifth high school reunion. Add in that we were playing as the only electric act on a bill will flute solos and several solo opera singers, and feeling out of place would be putting it mildly.
2) No board, monitors, mics, etc. This was pretty thrown together. It would have been nice to have a nice mix.

Thanks again for the compliments and suggestions!

Really great playing bro! I am super psyched anytime someone from your generation plays stuff from my generation (class of 1985 the age of the guitar hero).

Back
Top Bottom