Cliff Please!!!

This cannot be fixed with firmware. It is a side-effect of the Humbuster output technology. Sorry.

Guitarfreak,

You spent 2500+ bucks on a processor and possibly 1000+ or more on full range system. You might want to toss in a $100.00 investment on a staged power system such as an APC G5 that will turn off your equipment in the correct order and protect your gear a little better then a power strip. I am not trying to be snarky here, but this has been talked over more times then I care to remember.

Best,

-Nate

This is a function of almost any gear I have used. Even if you unplug an instrument from an amp while it's on it can pop. Why don't we demand from all instrument makers that they fix it...

What Nateb said is the answer. It can easily be helped and (with all due respect Cliff) although the initial pop may in fact be the side effect of humbuster technology, it is more so the direct effect of improper shut down and start up sequence and is easily helped by following a responsible order in how we shut things down. As Scott Peterson said, and as reiterated by Chrisallen8888, this is totally avoidable. I use a Carvin AC120S sequenced power supply and never hear any noise at shut down. And it takes only 1 click.

Last edited:
This cannot be fixed with firmware. It is a side-effect of the Humbuster output technology. Sorry.

Appreciate the definitive response.

I too have wished for a firmware fix for this, and I too appreciate your definitive response Cliff. Now that I know what's going on there I am perfectly happy to find another solution and not worry about firmware. THANKS CLIFF!!!

Thanks for the answer Cliff. For me the most scary thing is that the pop can go to FOH. I can turn of my stage monitor first, but i'm not sure if the soundguy has muted my channel already. And sometimes he's far away or gone somewhere. Most of the time it turns out ok, but it happened a couple of times, when everyone turns to me after a loud pop...

Thanks for the answer Cliff. For me the most scary thing is that the pop can go to FOH. I can turn of my stage monitor first, but i'm not sure if the soundguy has muted my channel already. And sometimes he's far away or gone somewhere. Most of the time it turns out ok, but it happened a couple of times, when everyone turns to me after a loud pop...

This is the only tough part. I guess i am lucky that we take our own sound guy any time i get to play, so we have conversations before/after so I'm easily able to insure I'm muted prior to turning off.

I would suggest, then, if you are concerned about this, that you provide your own mechanism for silently disconnecting from the FOH. This could be as simple as using a direct box (1/4" out from AFX to IN of DI, and unplugging the 1/4" connector FIRST from the Direct Box before AFX) or an XLR switching adapter which would allow you to literally switch off the connection to the AFX before unplugging it.

however...(and there have been other threads that address this issue)

There should be an implied (if not discussed or documented) responsibility between the stage musician or roadie who is setting up/breaking down equipment and the person responsible for venue/headline act supplied PA system. That responsibility consists of communicating any and all actions which may have ANY impact on the proper operation and care of the PA system itself, as well as people on the stage and in the audience whose hearing may be harmed by any type of audio mis-hap.

The point: you need to communicate with the FOH sound guy and vice-versa. IF YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE THAT THE FOH CHANNELS AND MONITORS HAVE BEEN MUTED, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POPS THAT MIGHT HAPPEN FROM SHUTTING OFF YOUR GEAR. It is as simple as mentioning to the sound tech: "I'm going direct and my gear doesn't have silent shut-off. I don't want to POP your equipment so please let me know when my channel is muted so I can pack my stuff up quickly and get out of your way." This way, the sound tech can't complain if you are standing around like an idiot, not moving your gear, in which case you can remind him of your 5 second conversation before your set. Trust me, he'll appreciate and comply with your request...or he/she is a dope/moron/idiot who doesn't give a rat's ass.

As a gigging musician, you should be mindful enough of the fact that the PA system is probably worth many times what your entire guitar rig is worth (or at least of the fact that YOU don't own the PA system), and act accordingly.

At the same time, any sound tech who doesn't take care of business and immediately mute all channels as soon as the last note of a set is hit...well, you get what you get. This is a shared responsiblity IMO.

I would use and A/B Switch such as the Framptone Amp Switcher (many others are available as well) after the OUT from your AXE and BEFORE FOH, . Hit the switch OFF, then turn OFF = no POP!

EDIT - I Correct myself - I think that most "Standard" a/b type switches (like the Framptone Amp Switcher) are NOT able to run "Balanced" cables through. For most FOH runs you will want a Balanced run.

This being said, this option might not be quite so simple as off the shelf gear. You could have someone fab up a switch that is able to Handle balanced (XLR would be best) The thing with Framptone and the high end like units are the silent relays they have. Otherwise you would just get another "Pop" from the switch. So the recipe is for a silent switch for balanced XLR cable - Stereo, if you are running in Stereo.

These could sell if some one wants to batch out maybe twenty five or fifty of them....

Last edited:
I would use and A/B Switch such as the Framptone Amp Switcher (many others are available as well) after the OUT from your AXE and BEFORE FOH, . Hit the switch OFF, then turn OFF = no POP!

Yes, many ways that this can be accomplished, the idea being that there is some mechanism used to stop the signal flow from the output of AFX to the line feeding the PA system.

This is not an Axe-FX issue. Get in the habit of turning off your gear in the proper order will serve you well in the long run, since most other audio gear does this as well - start with end of chain, then work backwards. When powering on, it's the reverse.

If you're connected to FOH, just check with the soundman before you power down - if it's tear-down time, chances are they would've already muted you; otherwise, well, leave it on. It's not like the tubes will burn out in your Axe. :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom