Cliff please help!

javajunkie said:
bstaley said:
javajunkie said:
works fine w/ my XTC.

So you're getting zero hiss or "some" hiss like Cliff mentioned?

Just hooked it up again briefly,going from guitar to axe-fx to amp. Straight in, I get hiss. I put radial big shot in between axe-fx and amp, set it to ISO and ground lift, go from output B to xtc input quiet as a lamb. This is a common issue I have had in the past when connecting multiple devices like this.

I've never heard of the Radial Big Shot. Is this different than the Ebtech Hum Eliminator I just bought?

I've hooked up a preamp (Sansamp PSA-1) to get an idea of what Tabs is hearing, and noticed there's one component of noise that stays at the same level regardless of where the Output 2 knob is. Turning the knob up introduces more (whether or not the Axe is sending any actual signal to Out2) but it doesn't seem like a great amount. The only way I could match the sound of Axeless operation while minimizing noise increase was to make sure output 2 is nearly clipping, turn output 2 knob all the way up, and turn down the Sansamp's preamp gain knob since it's now being hit with a much higher level than you'd have with a guitar directly in. Assuming there's no other problem with my setup (I don't think so; I've tried having only a short cable in the Axe loop with an Amp block post-FXL as the high-gain test, and the noise increase happens with FXL engaged) I'm wondering if "Forget getting guitar-like level into amp, set Out2 knob to max, turn down preamp gain" would be a better starting point to recommend for the 4CM w/ high gain.

Ed DeGenaro said:
Some body did mention high pitched squeal in the other thread. If it's hiss, it's a gain staging issue.
Not sure what you have on the VH4 for send/return controls. Chances are you're sending too hot a signal from the Axe.
First thing take the Axe out of the VH4s loop and use it only in front and get the level you send in the front dialed. Once that doesn't sound like Surf's Up anymore go back to plugging the VH4 loop in and do the same.

I don't see any mention of squeal in the other thread. Tabs stated there that he's tried running only in front of the VH4.

There's two of us seeing the problem with Diezel amps - my VH4 and chrisallen's VH4S. I've also been able to reproduce it using a Hughes & Kettener Switchblade head and I believe Chrisallen also heard it through a Mesa Roadster head too. I want to say someone else heard it with a VHT head too.

I'm using the VH4's true serial loop by the way, but that has nothing to do with this issue - I hear it with the Axe-FX totally disconnected from the loop. (just Guitar > Axe Front input and Out 1 or 2 > VH4 front input) I'm using a Music Man Petrucci 6 string.

Cliff, can you confirm that the Radial unit mentioned above will fix my problem? I don't want to throw another $80 away chasing a problem that can't be fixed.

You mentioned needing to go from line level back down to instrument level and I don't see that the Big Shot pedal does that. What device on the market does that?

ok i'm definitely making the video tomorrow and posting it in this thread.

i have tried it with my vh4s, mesa boogie roadster and stiletto and i had the noise on all 3.

it makes sense that it's a line level to guitar input issue. not grounding, etc. vid soon.

no dis by any means to the Axe (i love it to death!), but any idea why my podxt doesn't cause the noise? it's line level out as well....

You will chase down ground loops & noise regardless of the piece of gear you are using with your amp & the 4 cable method. I had the exact same issues with the TC G System and my Diezel Herbert. I wound up using an Ebtech hum eliminator which corrected the ground loop problem. Then i wound up with an ISP Pro rack G to kill the increase noise floor (hiss).

When I got my Axe-Fx I tried the 4 cable method with all three of my amps (Diezel Herbert, Bogner XTC & OD-100 SE+ and had the same issues. I told myself "I am not going through this again!"

javajunkie said:
http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby-detail.htm

Yes. I works better going from the guitar to an amp (the eb hum loses a lot of highs). It has an iso trnsformer if you wish, ground lift switch, and can reverse the polarity of one of the outputs.

The Ebtech is a completely passive isolation transformer design. Plugging your guitar directly into it will most definitely reduce high-frequencies. The high impedance output of the guitar just doesn't work well going into a transformer. BUT, it works perfectly well if you put it between an amp fx loop and a rack unit. The Ebtech is a great, inexpensive tool to have around for troubleshooting noise problems in a rig. It's passive design (no power required), and simple in/out jacks are great for quickly diagnosing where a ground loop is occuring.

I don't know anything about the Tone bone, obviously it's not a passive unit.

stilwel said:
javajunkie said:
http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby-detail.htm

Yes. I works better going from the guitar to an amp (the eb hum loses a lot of highs). It has an iso trnsformer if you wish, ground lift switch, and can reverse the polarity of one of the outputs.

The Ebtech is a completely passive isolation transformer design. Plugging your guitar directly into it will most definitely reduce high-frequencies. The high impedance output of the guitar just doesn't work well going into a transformer. BUT, it works perfectly well if you put it between an amp fx loop and a rack unit. The Ebtech is a great, inexpensive tool to have around for troubleshooting noise problems in a rig. It's passive design (no power required), and simple in/out jacks are great for quickly diagnosing where a ground loop is occuring.

I don't know anything about the Tone bone, obviously it's not a passive unit.

Yes, the radial is passive it does not seem attenuate high frequencies (at least not like the ebtech ) it is designed for you guitar to plug in to. http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

But my signals have alway been buffered going into it. Still, buffered to radial sounds better than buffered into eb tech to the front of amp to me.

Eb tech works great putting in between loop and rack unit. I own both.

FractalAudio said:
Since the loop is line-level you'll probably get some hiss using it into a high-gain preamp. This is inevitable.
The only thing I can recommend is getting the signal as hot as possible at the send, right on the verge of clipping Output2.
I've tried the 4-cable method with my Triaxis and there was little hiss but nothing I thought was objectionable.
CC

Would something like the reamp box work for this? It converts line level to hi-z instrument level.

http://www.reamp.com

Looks like Radial has a cheaper one. http://www.radialeng.com/re-prormp.htm

Also some people have been using passive DI's in reverse for reamping applications, which is basically the same thing as putting the Axe into the front of an amp. I'll have to try that, I've seen the same hiss issue using the Axe into the Front of my Boogie Mark IIC+.

Back
Top Bottom