Cliff. Firmware 13 - now what? :)

+ 10101 on the effects side... bury lexicon, tc and eventide :)

Have you seen the top end Eventide stuff?? Cliff would have to triple the cost of the Axe to compete with that and probably double the size of the unit itself. The capabilities of the H8000FW are INSANE! It would take the Axe out of the remit in which it was designed. The bottom line is Lexicon and TC have some great stuff which the Axe competes and holds it own to an extent, but it's not designed to be an effects power house like the Eventide stuff. And let's face it, nobody here needs it to be anything more than what is was designed to be in the first place.

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/Harmonizer Effects Processors/H8000FW.aspx

There's always room for improvement. The worst thing any company can do is become complacent.

That's what continually blows me away about Cliff and Fractal Audio. MANY firmwares ago you could have stopped providing updates, saving any improvements for the Axe III or charging money for every upgrade. The dedication to making this product the best in it's class is better than any company I've ever dealt with.
The price of admission isn't cheap, but I have never felt better about any other purchase I've made than I do every time I power up my Axe Fx II.

Thanks for the hard work!!

Sent from my iPhone

Kudos for Cliff's response!

Sure there is a lot to improve or add - Effects, pedals, wahs. When I asked the question I was reffering mainly to amp and cab simulation which in my opinion, can't get any better! I dont know, it's just... Perfect!

Peavey Bandit amp model, Aural Exciter... :D

[/JK] some more Scene Controllers would be nice but what can be done is already awesome. New effects models (like the recent Dimension D) would be nice though. And new Ultrares IRs shot in studio of course !

As for possible improvements, I vote for efx too.
The TC 2290 is the King of Delays IMO, and as nice as the Axe's efx are, the 2290 algorithm is IMO not that close to a real TC 2290, in fact my favourite delay in the Axe is the Tape delay and not the 2290 algorithm.
For that reason I still have a TC 2290 in my rack.
I hope you can get as close to "cloning" the 2290 delay sound as you've gotten with the amps, where any remaining differences are hardly perceptible.

Again - thanks for all your relentless work improving the Axe

Amen to this. Would be nice to be able to ditch your 2290 and have the same quality delays in the Axe fx. The 2290 takes way too much rack space.

Have you seen the top end Eventide stuff?? Cliff would have to triple the cost of the Axe to compete with that and probably double the size of the unit itself. The capabilities of the H8000FW are INSANE! It would take the Axe out of the remit in which it was designed. The bottom line is Lexicon and TC have some great stuff which the Axe competes and holds it own to an extent, but it's not designed to be an effects power house like the Eventide stuff. And let's face it, nobody here needs it to be anything more than what is was designed to be in the first place.

Don't think they were talking about the Eventide H8000 here (although it would be nice). The current Eventide 'Factor' pedals and Space pedal are also really nice and have some really special sounds of which some are hard to emulate on the Axe fx. They have that special Eventide 'sauce' onto them.

Last edited:

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/Harmonizer Effects Processors/H8000FW.aspx

Maybe the H8000FW is not obtainable in the Axe but the Eclipse sure should be. That has killer sounding verbs & delays.
Also a +1 on improving the 2290.
Another thing that might be nice is modeling vintage compressors like the LA 2A, 1176, etc.
The Axe is great as it is but there are always going to be things to make it better.

As I've been saying since about FW6, I'm pretty happy where I am, but if Cliff and Co see areas for improvement, count me in!! I'd like to see more DAW integration and more focus on effects and software/pc/notebook integration. I say this because the amp/cab modeling is as close as my feeble ears can tell.

I have to admit that firmware 13 is the best ever! I have found nervana in the amp tones.

My wishes for future improvement might be:

1. Improved Looper with multitrack capability.
2. Formant Pitch Shifting!
3. Feedback/Sustainer for use with IEM and recording.

the recent Dimension and Barberpole have been great additions (and so has the Studio Reverb).

Ohhh yea for sure. I love the Dimension chorus and it's found a spot in my cleaner presets, as has the Barberpole. There is so much advancement on the platform and new features/amps/FX given to the userbase so regularly that I'll be exploring amps/parameters/FX in depth for years as it is. I still feel I've only scratched the surface of the AFX and I've had it almost three years now. I love riding on the state of the art tidal wave that is FAS.

Back
Top Bottom