Cliff & Crew, have you contacted Redwirez about UltraRes™?

Title says it.

Its nice that Ownhammer has UltraRes™, but I'm probably a minority here that doesn't really like the sound of any of the OH cabs. I personally find them to be stiff and harsh sounding compared to the Redwirez cabs I've used from the beginning. (Note, I don't play the hard/heavy metal type tones lots of guys play and I can definitely see the benifit of OH's cabs for this type sound...its just not me, so please do not try to defend OH, they are just not my cup of tea.)

Any conversation to Redwirez about their cab IRs?

Not trying to convince you of anything, if it doesn't work for you it just doesn't, period. I do feel that the idea that the OH stuff is geared towards heavy music is just plain wrong. The 1x12 and 2x12 libraries are fantastic, with the 1x12 being some of the best ir's i've played for what i do. (country/southern rock). The 1x12 Alnico Silver is freaking magic.

I used Redwirez IR's solely for an album I did with an original band a few years ago and I still get compliments on how good and warm the guitar tones are. This was before I bought my Axe fx.

I had the Randall MTS gear, I ran guitar into Randall preamp, then directly into the board (of course this sounded like ass) then in the mix I used a popular guitar modeling plug-in for FX ONLY, Peavey Revalver just to give some sort of power amp feel then used a convolution plug-in for the rewrites IR's. One cool thing was that I could clone the track and use a different IR to mix them. I ended up blending 3 IR'S a 57, a 121 and a 421. This worked amazingly well for this project.

I go back and fourth on RW and OH, I will say that some times the RWs seem to miss that top end bite I love but I haven't dug into them in a while especially with the Axe, maybe it's time to revisit.

There is a possibility that we are talking past each other

Listening to the clip in your signature tells me your music style is pretty heavy.

I'd venture a guess that a Poll would show a lot of folks, like me, who prefer redwirez don't play much heavily distorted drop tuned guitar work. In those heavy guitar situations, the dryer more upper midranged attack of the OH cabs really shine.

Disclaimer - I'm a OH Beta tester

We don't all have to like the same things every time, but from listening to your sound clips and videos, we have very similar taste in tones and styles.
I like both OH, FAS and RW IR's, but at present I strongly prefer OH's.
I didn't really start using 3rd party IR's till the OH V2 Beta's were released, and from there on OH IMHO have had a clear edge for both live and studio work, they just sit fantastic in the mix.
I really think the Studio Mix series are outstanding for all cabs (412, 212 & 112), but for vintage and clean sounds my personal favourite is the 112 library.
I know that Kevin from OH is mostly a hi-gain guy himself, but that's why he asked guys like me who prefere clean to vintage rock sounds to join the beta-test team.
I've bought the FAS cab pack 4 and look forward to see how that compares to the OH IR's but haven't had the time yet.
It'll be really interesting to seen how the new FAS, TAF and RW sounds.
Going forward I plan on using UltraRES IR's or Wav files (in a DAW) exclusively, so anybody that wants my money for IR's have to make that format and long Wav files available.

The last FAS Cab Pack... sounds to me... a bit harsh and grainy!
The amps seems with more drive/distortion/gain ... even the clean amps
I'm talkig about the single IRs... maybe mixing some in CabLab ...
In this to me the OH UltraRes are more rounded-sounding and without that "sandpaper" in the tone

I was rock solid with the OH IRs (SP T1 & T2 mixes), mixed in stereo. Smooth, clear, creamy and just massive sounding, I thought nothing could ever knock them out of the #1 spot in my IR arsenal...

...until I converted them (mixed in Cablab) to Ultra Res!!!! Holy snickerdoodles, the difference was immediate and profound. All the same goodness the regular res had, but with a clarity that just blew me away. And with less CPU usage! I'm with Rocket Brother, UR all the way from now on.

Not trying to convince you of anything, if it doesn't work for you it just doesn't, period. I do feel that the idea that the OH stuff is geared towards heavy music is just plain wrong. The 1x12 and 2x12 libraries are fantastic, with the 1x12 being some of the best ir's i've played for what i do. (country/southern rock). The 1x12 Alnico Silver is freaking magic.

Uh, yeah! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Focus fellas

I think everyone appreciates Kevin and OwnHammer IRs, and the mixes in particular. The point of this thread is RedWirez IRs are also professionally produced, and would a great source of even more choice, if they could be converted to UltraRes format. So we RW fans would like invite Mike back into the fold and to post those great .wav captures that he has.

I think everyone appreciates Kevin and OwnHammer IRs, and the mixes in particular. The point of this thread is RedWirez IRs are also professionally produced, and would a great source of even more choice, if they could be converted to UltraRes format. So we RW fans would like invite Mike back into the fold and to post those great .wav captures that he has.

+1

Redwirez adcommodates Bassists with a bunch of bass cab IRs in their Big Box series. Ownhammer? Nope.

Question:

Howdy Mike / Redwirez,

Is there any word on when (or if) you will be posting longer .wav files
for conversion to UltraRes? Sure would like to get back to using my RW
cabs for my Fractal.

Answer from RedWirez 24 April 2014:

Yes, but we'll have to charge for them. It is going to take hundreds of hours when it's all said and done to go back and edit and process them all again.

Last edited:
Question:

Howdy Mike / Redwirez,

cab for my Fractal.

Yes, but we'll have to charge for them. It is going to take hundreds of hours when it's all said and done to go back and edit and process them all again.

Fair enough, and I'd be happy to support their efforts financially, as I've done in the past.

Question:

Howdy Mike / Redwirez,

cabs for my Fractal.

This is great news and I will happily pay them for there efforts.

I also prefer the RW collection. So UR versions? Def. OH seems thin to me lacking some of the depth and complexities of factory mix cab's. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to sit and play with cab mixes. I'm mainly performing live and like something I can plug in and rock. I much prefer Cliff's ears when it comes to cabinet mixing. So if I see any UR collection with mixes by Cliff/Fractal or some factory UR mix cab's I'm all over it.

I recently started blending some Redwirez cabs with OH cab and have gotten some great results.
I like both libraries(RW/OH), I think the RW Irs's sound 'thicker" I really like mixing them in with ....say the OH G65 cabs(one of my favs) using Marshall based models.
I think they balance each other nicely

Resurrecting an old thread. I apologize if updated information is out there elsewhere and I just didn't look hard enough.

Any updates on Redwirez cabs in UltraRes? I've had my Axe for a couple years but have just recently started going direct and delving into the world of IRs. I really liked the RW cabs that came with the unit and love the raw, neutral kind of tone they have, but UltraRes makes big difference to my ears. I bought can packs 4-6 to get some UltraRes cabs and while they are good, I think I might prefer UltraRes versions of some of the RW cabs that came stock. Definitely willing to pay UltraRes RW if it is out there.

I've checked the cab packs available through the fractal store and they don't have RW. If RW IRs in UltraRes are out there, is there another place they can be found?

Resurrecting an old thread. I apologize if updated information is out there elsewhere and I just didn't look hard enough.

Any updates on Redwirez cabs in UltraRes? I've had my Axe for a couple years but have just recently started going direct and delving into the world of IRs. I really liked the RW cabs that came with the unit and love the raw, neutral kind of tone they have, but UltraRes makes big difference to my ears. I bought can packs 4-6 to get some UltraRes cabs and while they are good, I think I might prefer UltraRes versions of some of the RW cabs that came stock. Definitely willing to pay UltraRes RW if it is out there.

I've checked the cab packs available through the fractal store and they don't have RW. If RW IRs in UltraRes are out there, is there another place they can be found?

+1

I suspect it's an awful lot of work but it is coming! I contacted them in November. Here's the response:

On Nov 29, 2014, at 2:30 PM, Redwirez Support <support@redwirez.com> wrote:

Hi,

We will be releasing ultrares compatible IRs before years end. Yes, there's an Export function on the Options page of the mixIR2.

--mike

(of course he didn't mention what year. lol)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom