Cliff Chase Guitar Messenger Interview

A floor based FX-only unit would be THE add on for the Kemper Profiling Amp!

Im not really sold on the Kemper..i have heard great clips, but until i hear it hooked up to a cab and PA then it has nothing the Ax doesn't have.

I hope it's a great product..but alot of guys on TGP are talking like it is THE thing to have and Ax beater when they have heard nothing more than clips, (none of them that i think that is some thing the Ax can't do) that is completely stupid reasoning, and does nothing to promote the Kemper..but i like the way the company are not getting involved, and hopefully the unit will speak for itself.

But damn is it UGLY!! :D

"...You take the TUBE, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the Ax, you stay in wonderland, and i show you how deep the input hole goes..."

Sorry, I just had to say I got a good laugh out of this haha.

Im not really sold on the Kemper..i have heard great clips, but until i hear it hooked up to a cab and PA then it has nothing the Ax doesn't have.

I hope it's a great product..but alot of guys on TGP are talking like it is THE thing to have and Ax beater when they have heard nothing more than clips, (none of them that i think that is some thing the Ax can't do) that is completely stupid reasoning, and does nothing to promote the Kemper..but i like the way the company are not getting involved, and hopefully the unit will speak for itself.

But damn is it UGLY!! :D

I agree: The prob with kemper is: There are just their vids about it. Hope to see some independent vids/reviews soon.

i like add a rack version of the kemper to the axe fx :)

This is the one thing that could tempt me into selling my current set up, getting a Mk V (only really use a couple of amps on the II) & the effects unit..but i guess it will be a LONG while before we see it!

As I have both(V&2) I cannot think of selling any of them.But I sold some other amps(JMP-1,Transatlatlantic)

Roland

Great interview. Cliff even mentions BeOS at the end -- brownie points for that one. :) There is an open source effort to recreate BeOS out there called Haiku; I believe they're in alpha stages now. Would be nice to have a PC-based OS that handles low-latency audio well at a platform level.

I think iZ Technology makes the RADAR multitrack recording systesms... I thought they were essentially a PC that runs BeOS. I could be wrong.

As I have both(V&2) I cannot think of selling any of them.But I sold some other amps(JMP-1,Transatlatlantic)

Roland

How do the effects sounds running throughout the V?

How is the effects loop on the Mesa with the AX..i have not read many good things about Mesa's effect loop..

Actually after tweaking and corrrect all the line levels it works quite decent.It was not too much hassle(although heard many horror story's,but it seems that not all Mark V's are the same)
But then again I use just mainly use Delay Phaser Gates Chorus and Compressor nothing fancy-so maybe easy.Main use for the Axe (except effects on the V) is for other amp modelling(as old cover player).

The only real effects loop thing on V I found is,is when you turn the effects loop on then you lose a bit of presence.But this you can easy correct with the knobs.And the V doesnt like instrument input hiss a lot (OCD had to go to V4 as I push sometimes channel 1 this way)

I once had a shootout Ultra vs Mark IV same cab,non of our band and some audience could tell the difference( and a friend(huge IV lover) didnt talk to me for a while) so sound is equal,still feel how you can push the amp by playing is much better now on the Axe but still not the same(can again be my poor setup skills)

Roland

ONE THING I FORGOT In general Mark V can go with most Pickups.But some (Fender Dragster J off my CIJ Jaguar) it HATES.Only in Mark IV mode you get a decent sound(but also other amps hate this pickups).So if you are on EMG's and other "fancy" stuff you need to try first.There are surprises.AND SORRY for derailing the thread

Last edited:
Impressive Mesa...

Hi mark_melling,

I'm just getting into my Fractal Axe-FX II (I've owned it for 2-3 months, and I'm just now getting enough patches and understanding/navigation to start using it at band-rehearsals and hopefully gigs pretty soon!) That all having been said, the one amp that I've seen demo'd pretty extensively on YouTube by various players of varying levels of proficiency (I.E: from "bedroom-hacks" to John Petrucci - LOL!) is Mesa Boogie's Mark V, and I am very impressed! (BTW, I've never personally been a "Mesa-Guy." There have been bands/guitarists who I've dug a lot who happened to use Mesa Boogies with great results, (I.E: Hetfield/Metallica, Grohl/Foo Fighters) but I never thought they were a good fit for my thing. However, over the last several months, I keep seeing/hearing demos of Mesa's new Mark V, and that damn amp seems to do a lot of things very well!

Hey, if there are guitarists out there who only need anywhere from one-to-three (1 - 3) amp-sounds to be happy, then maybe they'd be happy with an excellent standalone-amp and a floor-based Fractal-Effects Floor-Unit (when it comes to fruition and gets-released.)

For me, I actually need a lot more variety of tones (playing in multiple-bands in a variety of styles) so the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX II is purrrrrrr-fect for me!

Bill

I really hope this floor-based pedal will have at least 4-5 amp sims in it; the basic ones like Fender tweed, Vox AC30, Marshall plexi JCM and a modern higain.. I want something that can replace the L6 HD500, but with Fractal type tones.

That was a really good article. For me the part about the business model in terms of not letting the bean counters design it really is where the biggest differences between FA and all the rest lies. I know that a lot of people got all up in arms over lack of availability from the announcement, but you have to remember that it's a two way street here...in order for FA to make the best product possible at this price point a lot of what makes the mass produced crap so readily available is eliminated. I just don't think that a major manufacturer could ever get a design built to these specs through all the red tape and beuracracy without it being neutered.

Oh and I played the flute in 6th grade too Ivan. :) I frickin hated carrying it around, but the deal was if I got good at it that I would be able to play drums the next year. Basically I would be allowed to learn every instrument they had in school band. So I was first chair after about halfway through the school year, did well with it and when 7th grade rolled around I was told 'no' to the drums. I'm still kind of pissed about it to this day. I quit because there was no way I was going to take the abuse on the school bus another full year for carrying a flute and being the only boy without a perm who played flute. :)

I had a feeling that Cliff and I shared a similar childhood; we liked broken toys more than new ones and if it wasn't broken it was going to be real soon. I don't think that I ever played with toys, I was always trying to make them do something other than what they were intended to do. Cliff probably had a lot more success than I did with those projects though.

I hope the new floor model can rival the g system in terms of controlling amps and quality of effects.. the one thing that would put it apart is for it to be totally transparent... no colouring when plugging it into your favourite boutique amp! that would be great, not just a cheaper version but the best at what it could be! in terms of the construction and effects. the g system is built like a tank but is v heavy.. that kind of quality.... transparent... sold!

if cliff is reading this; give us more info on this pedal!!

*cough please make it include at least 5 amp models, the standard fender/vox/marshall/mesa's or so!*

Voodoo electricity

You guys can start your own "voodoo electricity" thread in the lounge (do we have a lounge?). Perhaps the moderator can move the OT part of this thread over there?

That was a really good article. For me the part about the business model in terms of not letting the bean counters design it really is where the biggest differences between FA and all the rest lies. I know that a lot of people got all up in arms over lack of availability from the announcement, but you have to remember that it's a two way street here...in order for FA to make the best product possible at this price point a lot of what makes the mass produced crap so readily available is eliminated. I just don't think that a major manufacturer could ever get a design built to these specs through all the red tape and beuracracy without it being neutered.

Oh and I played the flute in 6th grade too Ivan. :) I frickin hated carrying it around, but the deal was if I got good at it that I would be able to play drums the next year. Basically I would be allowed to learn every instrument they had in school band. So I was first chair after about halfway through the school year, did well with it and when 7th grade rolled around I was told 'no' to the drums. I'm still kind of pissed about it to this day. I quit because there was no way I was going to take the abuse on the school bus another full year for carrying a flute and being the only boy without a perm who played flute. :)

I had a feeling that Cliff and I shared a similar childhood; we liked broken toys more than new ones and if it wasn't broken it was going to be real soon. I don't think that I ever played with toys, I was always trying to make them do something other than what they were intended to do. Cliff probably had a lot more success than I did with those projects though.
shasha you tell the best stories :D I played brass instruments 6-8th grade and hot to be in honor band which was rad. Then I got braces and got to bash the drums late 8th. I'm sorry if I rubbed that in your face :lol
There is no shame in playing wind instruments. But it wasn't fun getting yelled at for taking apart toys to see what was inside.

Small world... My Armstrong flute back in the day became a cool pipe after one of our little projects. Doooh! :)

Couldn't agree any more with your big business vs boutique analysis. Spot on the money IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom