Clean to High Gain With Guitar Knob

hp/mp

Inspired
What's the best way you guys have been able to do this, or at at all, nicely? Any hi-gain amps actually clean up virtually completely with the guitar volume knob?

So far I've just tried a drive in front of a clean amp, but while the low-mid gain drives clean up pretty good, I'm looking for high-mid to high gain - the high gain drives don't clean up very nice, and are pretty noisey when the guitar volume is down. The metal zone model almost does it successfully, but it's the metal zone :lol:.

Tips? :)

I'm assuming you don't want to step on a drive pedal. Try with the SLO model. Worked great for me going high gain. It will never 'completely' clean up, but with guitar volume, neck pickup, and a light pick attack, it works.

Not sure of your definition of 'high gain', but if you check Scott's clip of the JCM800, he can have a very nice clean over to gainy stuff with guitar knob, and a HSS guitar. Those single coils clean up nicely.

I remember having good luck with the CAE model as well (not the lead.)

electronpirate said:
Not sure of your definition of 'high gain', but if you check Scott's clip of the JCM800, he can have a very nice clean over to gainy stuff with guitar knob, and a HSS guitar. Those single coils clean up nicely.

+1

I use the Plexi model (can't remember if it is #1 or #2) for regular gain and can get it to clean up very nicely by rolling off the volume.

I also use the Lead 2 model for high gain and clean it up a bit with the volume knob. However, I have to be more exact with the position of the volume knob. Also, the cleans aren't as clean.

There may be a tradeoff of how high of gain you want and how much you want it to clean up. The JCM800 from Scott's clip may be a better compromise between the two that I use.

I've had a lot of success going from strat-like-clean to screaming lead with the plexi model (usually plexi 2), by just using the volume on the guitar (with splitted humbuckers even better cleans).
Same goes for the 5150 but I think I altered some of the advanced parameters in both cases...

The Plexi model cleans up great for me. I think that cranking the master helps this effect a lot, as the actual amps compress the signal more in the power section when cranked. Turn it up to 9.2 or whatever Cliff recommends for non-master amps, start with the drive low and turn it up to get the desired crunch. Set the amp overall volume to match other patches. Be sure to try the Wrecker model also :)

tubetonez said:
The Plexi model cleans up great for me. I think that cranking the master helps this effect a lot, as the actual amps compress the signal more in the power section when cranked. Turn it up to 9.2 or whatever Cliff recommends for non-master amps, start with the drive low and turn it up to get the desired crunch. Set the amp overall volume to match other patches. Be sure to try the Wrecker model also :)

Exactly! And since I used to own a 73 plexi (which I sold for the axe) I can testify that it had exactly the same "reaction" with the axe's plexi models :D

What's your idea of high gain and clean? Different models will respond differently. Below is a clip I did with a JCM800 patch I made up (from memory, rather extreme settngs in places... doesn't sound typically "JCM8000"), which jumps between varying levels of gain. Basically everything is done with the one JCM800 patch except for the Cornford lead late in the clip (chords behind it are JCM800 though). All the JCM800 stuff is done just using my RG2127X and Strat. The Strat does all the cleaner stuff in the middle, volume control rolled right down to bugger-all. Could have done the same with coil splitting and vol control on the RG2127X, but a) I prefered the sound of the Strat for it, and b) it was more awkward to play the stuff on the 7-string. ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=357523&songID=8131189

And yes, I was going for that slightly mushy, fuzzy sound for this clip :lol: Main point is, as an example, all the JCM800 stuff in the clip is just one patch, and once I'd dialed it in at the start the Axe settings didn't change at all throughout the clip.

I have the same results with the Plexi model. Also, keep in mind something I'm re-re-re-learning (old habits are hard to break :oops: ) that at gig volume, you need significantly less gain to get a good sustained high gain sound. Lowering the gain will also help clean things up when you roll back guitar volume.

Once you decide on an amp model, try connecting the drive parameter to the envelope controller and experiment with the modifiers. You can have the drive control automatically back off as you play softer or roll off your volume. You can map the master level to an inverse curve to compensate for the volume drop.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but you will have much better luck if you get an aftermarket volume knob with a custom taper.

You may want to check out the Trainwreck sim. Traditionally 'wrecks are know for being able to go from cranked Marshall to crystal cleans with just the guitar volume knob.

Though, I haven't had a need for a 'wreck sound yet, so I don't have any personal experience with if this holds true in the Axe's sim of the amp.

that is asking an awful lot from an amp, weather real or modelled...

A few work arounds...
Attach a modifier to the amp's drive setting

Use a mix bloxk to pan between a clean and high gain amp

Ed DeGenaro said:
that is asking an awful lot from an amp, weather real or modelled...

A few work arounds...
Attach a modifier to the amp's drive setting

Use a mix bloxk to pan between a clean and high gain amp

Yeah, but Ed, my Flexi does it pretty well ;)

james... said:
I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but you will have much better luck if you get an aftermarket volume knob with a custom taper.

Good point. My PRS's roll off well, but I need to put a capacitor on the volume pot of one of my Ibanez's to have it roll off similarly.

Ive tried several amps to get a high gain to clean up - including some mentioned.

The SLO works OK, the Das Metal not so well.

The Plexis, and Buttery are GREAT for this, but not what Id call high gain, so it depends on your definition of HG.

The best amp sim I found was the Fryette M - that does clean up extremely well (as does the real amp)

steadystate said:
Once you decide on an amp model, try connecting the drive parameter to the envelope controller and experiment with the modifiers. You can have the drive control automatically back off as you play softer or roll off your volume. You can map the master level to an inverse curve to compensate for the volume drop.

Can you tell us how you do this?? I did map the drive to an envelope controller but I couldn't figure out how to exactly inverse the curve to compensate for the volume loss. Or did you mean that you have to simulate the curve and you cannot exactly inverse the drive curve? :D

Back
Top Bottom