Clean Sound Direct

claxor

Power User
I'm noticing that I prefer my clean sounds to be more direct in the axefx 2. As in, JC 120 with no cabs or mics, into effects and out. In the real world, would this sound be the same signal path? Meaning, into a clean amp, line out into a mixer/board and add effects, out to full range speakers?

Yes. Especially a transistor amp such as the JC120, lends itself to such an approach. Pure clean sounds *can* sound great without cabs/mics.
The famous "Chic" sound is an example. When Nile Rodgers recorded his famous filtered tone by combining a Twin Reverb (IIRC) with a dry direct signal.
I think Prince has done the same on occasion.

Last edited:
I'm going to try this approach! Makes sense given the years we've struggled for certain clean (pop) settings.

Thanks!

Yes. Especially a transistor amp such as the JC120, lends itself to such an approach. Pure clean sounds *can* sound great without cabs/mics.
The famous "Chic" sound is an example. When Nile Rodgers recorded his famous filtered tone by combining a Twin Reverb (IIRC) with a dry direct signal.
I think Prince has done the same on occasion.

In the real world, how would such an approach be done live in a touring rack? Any example rig photos?

The splitter would be a direct box, where the XLR output would feed the PA and the "thru" or 1/4" out would feed the AxeFx. You might try simulating this by running a signal, parallel to your regular fx/amp chain, through an EQ for tone shaping and gain and then to the output.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom