Clean Amp for Les Paul, No Fender

Polluxx

I'm still looking for the perfect clean amp for a Les Paul that can handle both strumming and picking very well.
I usually use the FB Studio compressor in my presets.

Of course a Deluxe or Double verb sounds very good, but I don't play a Les Paul to sound like a Fender.

So far I've stuck with the CAE3+ and the Shiva Clean.

I would be interested in your favorites for a Les Paul

I like the JC120, I usually use a 4x12 with it though, just for more weight really. Neck pickup on an SG or a Les Paul sounds great..

A Les Paul doesn’t sound like a Fender just because you plug it into a Fender amp. But if you’ve got a brand aversion thing, or don’t like what you’re getting there, generally a more powerful amp will let you get a louder clean tone without distorting. The Hi-Watt model, the SLO, even the 50/100 watt Marshall, and most preamp models can do it. The Twin Reverb or Band Master models are classic examples, but if you’re avoiding them, you can use the generalization that more headroom can yield a cleaner tone. Many of those mentioned above are good choices, though some of the low wattage ones break up (in a good way) very early on.

Rolling the volume down on the guitar through classic Marshall’s is a great clean sound. Even the SLO 100 or Deliverance too.

I also like the Dumble.

You also might look at lowering the Input trim & speaker drive.

Changing power tubes to KT66 or KT88. In some cases, raising the negative feedback and biasing the amp a little colder.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Thank you all, am actually dialing in the Texas Star Clean with a 2x12 ownhammer Orange Cab, wow what a dynamic midrange Clean Tone which pushes the Les Paul in his well being area.
I will test all of your recommendations, but actually shiva and Texas are in Lead

With Shiva try MV to 9 or even 10, and then Input Gain to taste
It sounds like a proper Plexi should, but behaves much better and more controllable, keeping it bright and tight even with both knobs to 9

Of course a Deluxe or Double verb sounds very good, but I don't play a Les Paul to sound like a Fender.
Huh?

Post a sound clip of an example sound you want.

Fender amps and guitars are two different things...

Be aware that many of the clean amp offerings are probably based off of a Fender circuit regardless of the brand names.

Try the Gibtone Scout (or Nuclear Tone which is based on that, too) - that's a Gibson amp :D

Huh?

Post a sound clip of an example sound you want.

Fender amps and guitars are two different things...

Be aware that many of the clean amp offerings are probably based off of a Fender circuit regardless of the brand names.

Try the Gibtone Scout (or Nuclear Tone which is based on that, too) - that's a Gibson amp :D
Yes, that's true, everything is based on Fender and then Marshall, but especially with the Deluxe or Twin reverb it sounds a little close to Fender.

Yes, that's true, everything is based on Fender and then Marshall, but especially with the Deluxe or Twin reverb it sounds a little close to Fender.
Ages ago Cliff said about the CAE clean channel, "Ch 1 isn't modeled because it's very similar to a Fender Twin."

Not to be Captain Obvious here, but changing the cab has a huge effect tone….ie, using a 4x12 with a fender amp.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Back
Top Bottom