Clean amp & cab recommendations

drh11

I am just starting to create my own presets. I generally play jazz oriented music and I'm looking for clean, lush sounds. I typically use some delay, reverb, and occasional chorus amongst other things for effects. I was wondering if there are others with similar preferences that have recommendations for amp & cab combinations. Also, if there are any presets that you could point to would be a bonus.

Jazz 120. The model has very little internal compression, so it peaks early even though the perceived volume is low. It helps to put a comp on the backside after the cab block to prevent peaking the converters and then turn up the amp block.

I swear by the factory Double Verb factory preset.

Clean it wayyyy up.
Use "Proximity" in the cab block as an easy way to get thumpy lows.
I use the Graphic EQ in the amp block to push/pull mids and highs.
A touch of OUTPUT COMPRESSION in the amp can be addictive.

I also like the option of a compressor in front of the amp. I use PEDAL 1 but I don't use too much SUSTAIN... just enough. I set a medium attack (14ms) and a very fast release. I also like to turn up EMPHASIS.

I play jazz primarily and professionally, and for my tastes, I love the Deluxe Reverb (I've never bonded with Twins, in real life or in the AxeFx). I use the Deluxe Verb amp with an OwnHammer Deluxe Reverb IR (they sound fantastic!). Recently there was a bonus pack of IRs and presets from Larry Mitchell that included a really nice Deluxe Reverb IR. The OwnHammer still sounded better to my tastes, but just barely.

My presets (which I'll post later tonight when I get home to my AxeFX), use the studio reverb and a tape delay for lushness. I find taking out a little 100-200 hz in the graphic EQ on the amp block really helps clean up some mud in the Fenders (which is an issue I have in real life with them, too).

Here's a video I made a couple days ago using the same clean Deluxe Reverb patch on all three guitars. The delay and reverb are on in all three, but in the mix aren't as prominent. Live, however, the effects are more apparent.

I swear by the factory Double Verb factory preset.

Clean it wayyyy up.
Use "Proximity" in the cab block as an easy way to get thumpy lows.
I use the Graphic EQ in the amp block to push/pull mids and highs.
A touch of OUTPUT COMPRESSION in the amp can be addictive.

I also like the option of a compressor in front of the amp. I use PEDAL 1 but I don't use too much SUSTAIN... just enough. I set a medium attack (14ms) and a very fast release. I also like to turn up EMPHASIS.

Thanks for your input. Yes, that's a nice preset. Spent quite a bit of time with it this afternoon and made the tweaks as you suggested. The Studio Compressor in front of the amp happened to work best with my Les Paul.

Here's my preset from the video above. I'm using the OwnHammer DR IR, so you'll need to substitute your own. I also attached the freebie Fractal DR IR from the Larry Mitchell preset pack, which will make a nice substitute. the OH is a little stronger in the midrange, but otherwise they're both nice IRs.

The effects in this are definitely set up for more of a modern jazz vibe. Turn off the delay and either turn down the reverb level and/or the decay time to get a more traditional sound.

Attachments

• FendEAR 2017-04-05.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 35
  • U0003_DELUXE LM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 29
Here's my preset from the video above. I'm using the OwnHammer DR IR, so you'll need to substitute your own. I also attached the freebie Fractal DR IR from the Larry Mitchell preset pack, which will make a nice substitute. the OH is a little stronger in the midrange, but otherwise they're both nice IRs.

The effects in this are definitely set up for more of a modern jazz vibe. Turn off the delay and either turn down the reverb level and/or the decay time to get a more traditional sound.

Thank you Poparad for taking the time to post your video (great playing!) along with your preset and the IR. I do like a brighter and more expansive tone than traditionalists. Only made a few minor tweaks to adapt to my setup. Great sounding preset with a lush shimmer to it.

Jazz 120. The model has very little internal compression, so it peaks early even though the perceived volume is low. It helps to put a comp on the backside after the cab block to prevent peaking the converters and then turn up the amp block.

Thanks Haffner1. I had created a preset with the Jazz 120 but improved it with a little compression and some other adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom