• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Class D amplifiers on a chip.

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I'm not sure if anyone has delved into these tiny, ultra light amplifier modules. They can pump out a decent amount of power in tiny packages.
Any experience?
Parts Express has a ton of models for sale, from the tiny 10W to several hundred watts. Most in the sub $100 range.
Some major brands are now into this, packaged and made pretty and branded for added cost. But I suspect the chips to be of the same class on all of them (TI).

A while back I bought a cheap tpa3116 populated board off eBay and stuck it in a box. Very cheap, mostly flat but the high end didn’t seem right to me, like it had a slight roll of or something. Matrix power amp sounded better so the little class d box now gets used for bass and that’s it.

I did some research on how class D works, interesting stuff, but from what I remember it will have trouble with the highs and lows which is why many higher end class D gear will have some level of DSP correction.

the icepower modules seem to be very well regarded but they’re pricy. I believe the SD powerstage uses an icepower module.

Top Bottom