Class "D" Amp + Axe FX?

axel

Power User
Are class "D" amps suitable for use with the Axe FX, or should they be avoided? I was considering the Carvin DCM200L, which, according to Carvin, is class "D".

axel said:
Are class "D" amps suitable for use with the Axe FX, or should they be avoided? I was considering the Carvin DCM200L, which, according to Carvin, is class "D".

No probs at all. Class D amp as very common now. They are just a more efficient design, but still produce a solid full range response. Really with solid state amps, it is about getting enough power so that you don't clip them.

I belive... and I could be wrong, that Class D amps will be common place with in a few short years. I just want to wait a few befor I go there. Someone always finds a way to build a better mouse trap after it's been around for a wile.

Class-D is a mixed-bag. They're excellent at low frequencies but a high frequencies they tend to be harsh. The technology is improving though.

FractalAudio said:
Class-D is a mixed-bag. They're excellent at low frequencies but a high frequencies they tend to be harsh. The technology is improving though.

It's interesting to know how different classes of amps will handle the Axe. I've been thinking a bit about that lately as I'm shopping for a lightweight, high power, full range PA.

I've now seen Class H for Low Frequencies (RCF 312a), Class G for High Frequencies (FBT Hi Maxx 40a), and Class A/B Compression Driver (RCF 312a).

Since you stated "D" can tend to be harsh, what do you think of Class G for highs, or Class A/B? And Class H for lows? Don't know anything about what these classes really mean in terms of how each would react to the Axe...

Class G and H are great and very common these days. They are forms of Class A/B with dynamic supply rails. The supply rails track the input signal which allows the output stage to run much more efficiently thereby reducing weight, cooling, etc.

FractalAudio said:

This has been my experience with the cheap Class D Crate Powerblock. I haven't tried an expensive Class-D, like the Acoustic Image though, and have no experience with the new Carvin.

Back
Top Bottom