Clark's Simple Song: Need feedback!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Hey, I'm mixing this humor driven album and I'd love to get some feedback since I don't usually get to mix something "normal". High gain would be so much easier for me. :D

Guitars are all Axe-Fx II and my Strat. Drums are 100% natural. No triggering or time quantizing. Welcome to the 90s fellas! :lol

FEEDBACK!! I'm trying to make it sound perfect. Take a listen and if there's anything pointing out in a good or bad way please let me know. Cheers!

Sounds good, but I'm listening on my iPad. The guitars sound a little brittle on these speakers.

The guitars (although a touch bright) sit nicely in the mix IMO. Depending on the vocalist etc., they might need to be moved a little bit, or tamed a touch. Strats can be kinda brittle anyways...

I think it sounds nice.....except......... guitar is just a little bright but ok. that pedal tone riff thingy on the G string is distracting or over powering to everything else, possibly tone it down a little?

Hi,

i like this song, has a happy/funny vibe to it !

Mixwise i hear nothing wrong. The drums sound great , the bass also cuts through. The only thing to "complain" for my ears is: Turn the rhythm guitars louder or give them a bit more weight ( maybe add some low mids 200-300 hz ).

I am listening on my Klein & Hummel O300D monitors in a well treated room .

Cheers !

"Stacy's Mom has got it going oooooon"

Holy s***!!! :lol That sounds so similar and I've never heard that song in my life. Well.. the chords are pretty basic. How am I supposed to come up with any other melody for the chorus now? I was actually going for a "Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me" vibe. :D

Holy s***!!! :lol That sounds so similar and I've never heard that song in my life. Well.. the chords are pretty basic. How am I supposed to come up with any other melody for the chorus now? I was actually going for a "Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me" vibe. :D

:lol Holy s***balls Superman - that's exactly what I was going to add as a comment - POM She Hates Me. :encouragement:

My initial thought is I wouldn't change the guitars until the vocals are on it (assuming it is getting them). The kick stands out a bit much for my liking in the chorus parts, maybe the snare a little too. The drums sound good in general but I might bring the overheads up a little and roll off the high frequency increases on the toms just a touch. Generally that is all personal taste though, I like a little less EQ on the kit. But I wouldn't change much until the vocals are done as what works without them may not work well with them. Take all of that opinion with a grain of salt, not listening on the highest quality speakers - but they are the same ones I listen on all day at home...

My initial thought is I wouldn't change the guitars until the vocals are on it (assuming it is getting them). The kick stands out a bit much for my liking in the chorus parts, maybe the snare a little too. The drums sound good in general but I might bring the overheads up a little and roll off the high frequency increases on the toms just a touch. Generally that is all personal taste though, I like a little less EQ on the kit. But I wouldn't change much until the vocals are done as what works without them may not work well with them. Take all of that opinion with a grain of salt, not listening on the highest quality speakers - but they are the same ones I listen on all day at home...

Vocals are coming for sure.. the song is too boring if it doesn't have a melody at least. :) Most likely I'll write something about why women sometimes dislike other women because of their animal instinct and low self-esteem. That should grant me a night at the sofa at least...

I actually had problems with the overheads since the hihat is dark and crashes are bright so one thing I didn't want to (but might have to) do is to treat the overheads differently when ever the hihat is playing. Actually my biggest concern has been the snare. It's all natural and the drummer has amazing attack on that snare (the drummer is actually Irotlas from this forum). I had three ambient mics in that room and I could easily re-create a retro drum mix by simply muting the snare, tom and kick tracks. (that was the plan originally)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've gone a bit deaf mixing this so once I beefed up the guitars everything is sitting a lot better. Especially the snare that felt almost like a triggered snare because it was so isolated. :)

jesus that is 90's sounding ,....oh I kind of hear the 'Stacy's Mom' thingy going on too but a lot of 90's tunes in this vein sound similar.
Add more gain and you could get a Weezer type of thing going on too.

Don't have much to add however, how you find enough time in a day to create all this stuff is incredible! I can hardly keep up! Bad-ass!

Have you thought about using the ambient mics and the close mics? It may get a touch phase-y but it will likely end up with a more natural kit sound. I like to start from the ambient mics and then mix in the close mics to make things stand out a bit more - especially if you recorded in a good sounding room, and I try to make sure I am not listening to the drums by themselves as I tend to want to exaggerate tones instead of letting them find their own pocket in the mix. You may even consider using different mic sets at different times in the song (i.e. more ambient stuff during verse to give the drums more room to breath, and close mics for more attack in the chorus, or the inverse). Dark hats are definitely a fun thing to try to overcome.... Either way good playing and tones.

Vocals are coming for sure.. the song is too boring if it doesn't have a melody at least. :) Most likely I'll write something about why women sometimes dislike other women because of their animal instinct and low self-esteem. That should grant me a night at the sofa at least...

I actually had problems with the overheads since the hihat is dark and crashes are bright so one thing I didn't want to (but might have to) do is to treat the overheads differently when ever the hihat is playing. Actually my biggest concern has been the snare. It's all natural and the drummer has amazing attack on that snare (the drummer is actually Irotlas from this forum). I had three ambient mics in that room and I could easily re-create a retro drum mix by simply muting the snare, tom and kick tracks. (that was the plan originally)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I've gone a bit deaf mixing this so once I beefed up the guitars everything is sitting a lot better. Especially the snare that felt almost like a triggered snare because it was so isolated. :)

The drums sit well in the mix. The guitars sound no more abrasive to me than Puddle of Mudd or Lit, or Fountains of Wayne. It definitely has that era going on in it.

Depending on where the vocals are sitting in the mix in the arrangement, to give the mix a little more variety, in the "A" section, I would push the bass a little forward and let it lead the arrangement a little more and drop the guitars back a hair. In this way when the chorus of the song kicks in, you drop the bass back to its original level and let the guitars roar in all their glory.

Just a thought to give it a little more dynamic variety.

jesus that is 90's sounding ,....oh I kind of hear the 'Stacy's Mom' thingy going on too but a lot of 90's tunes in this vein sound similar.
Add more gain and you could get a Weezer type of thing going on too.

That's weird again.. the vocals were planned to sound Weezer-esque. :)

Don't have much to add however, how you find enough time in a day to create all this stuff is incredible! I can hardly keep up! Bad-ass!

Ad guy: "With the Axe-Fx you save so much time and effort... " :) It's more of a hobby on the side. Whenever I have time I'll record stuff on top and drums were done in a day. Irotlas is an amazing drummer. :)

I actually recorded acoustic guitar for these songs but didn't fit somehow.

Back
Top Bottom