Clark Kent's Petrucci IIC+ IR's

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
So I "super matched" (new term for Ozone 5's highest resolution for matching :lol ) Petrucci's Systematic Chaos tone (brighter) and Petrucci's Black Clouds and Silver Linings tone (darker). So using the settings I have in this preset for the amp block will give you the exact tone he's using on those albums. I A/B tested them pretty closely so should be extremely close.

In this clip it's first both tones blended to one IR and then it's the same riffs with BCSL left and SC right.

Have fun! IMO the blend of these two IR's is amazing... that's like the best of both worlds because Petrucci uses both darker (SFAM) and brighter tones (Constant Motion, Rite of Passage). This is mixing them together. :)

And before someone mentions it: I have long .wav IR's ready for FW13. ;)

Attachments

• Petrucci SC IR.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Clark's Petrucci IIC+.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 366
  • Petrucci BCSL IR.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 478
Great work CK! Sounds stellar, like always. I have to download and test this combination. Thanks for sharing your work.

OK you super matched them, but when they are converted to AF2 syx, they get dumbed down (at least until FW13). The highest resolution match in Ozone 5 actually looks similar to an 'ultrares' IR curve.

How were you able to make long IRs, if there is no micing involved (i.e. reverb/room artifacts)?

Thanks for sharing as always

Last edited:
downloaded.....installed......set to patch #31 in Bank A it's a keeper :)
the BCSL IR actually sounds quite good on it's own too.

downloaded.....installed......set to patch #31 in Bank A it's a keeper :)
the BCSL IR actually sounds quite good on it's own too.

Yeah exactly. The BCSL was what I wanted to match but after doing that I felt like it was maybe a bit muffled. Then I got this idea. But seriously the SC tone is matched from the Constant Motion chorus and it's extremely bright.

If only I somehow got the stems for Forsaken.. that's "the" Petrucci guitar tone for me. :)

I'm curious Clark. HOw much does this tone match depend on the guitar? I know you won't get a tone to match this one using a single coil, and I'm wondering because if there was a huge difference I could TM using your tone as a source and my own guitars.

Thanks for all your hard work , I gave the preset and IRs a shot , I don't know what I'm doing wrong but sounded nothing like that great sample :-( and I couldn't tweak my way out of it usually I just adjust basic parameters a smidge if a preset sounds a little bright on my set up but , didn't work for me, feel like an AXEIDIOT.

I'm curious Clark. HOw much does this tone match depend on the guitar? I know you won't get a tone to match this one using a single coil, and I'm wondering because if there was a huge difference I could TM using your tone as a source and my own guitars.

Sure it matters but not that much in high gain. Sure you can even use this clip for tone matching if you want to get the brightness right.

Thanks for all your hard work , I gave the preset and IRs a shot , I don't know what I'm doing wrong but sounded nothing like that great sample :-( and I couldn't tweak my way out of it usually I just adjust basic parameters a smidge if a preset sounds a little bright on my set up but , didn't work for me, feel like an AXEIDIOT.

Did you also load the IR's into your Axe-Fx and remember to tweak the right IR's in the cab block? (stupid question probably but just a thought :) )

Also might be a firmware issue...

Did you also load the IR's into your Axe-Fx and remember to tweak the right IR's in the cab block? (stupid question probably but just a thought :) )

Also might be a firmware issue...

Yeah put the IRs in blank user cab slots , put them into the cab block in the preset, I'm using FW 12.04b , sigh just having a bad axe day . You got lots of stuff going on in that preset I turned all that stuff " on " un bypassed it and got a Petrucci playing from the bottom of a swimming pool vibe goin' :) . Thanks for trying to help. I'll give it another shot sometime .

VBM.

Yeah put the IRs in blank user cab slots , put them into the cab block in the preset, I'm using FW 12.04b , sigh just having a bad axe day . You got lots of stuff going on in that preset I turned all that stuff " on " un bypassed it and got a Petrucci playing from the bottom of a swimming pool vibe goin' :) . Thanks for trying to help. I'll give it another shot sometime .

VBM.

Hahahahha... I feel like I should introduce you to scenes but there's a wiki for it. :D Umm... SCENE 1 should only have the AMP and CAB block activated and everything else bypassed. Then if you go to SCENE 2 you'll get a boost for that amp and a Petrucci esque delay. Then some cleans... I didn't actually tweak them that well but there's variety there just to show you guys that it's not just that one rhythm sound but you can make is a part of your rig. :)

Back
Top Bottom