Clark Kent's Axe-Fx Amp Tweak Tutorial

Dude, thanks a ton for doing this. It's a cool vid. I like how you put the drive up high to balance the EQ. Seems to work well. Does that work as well for you at live volume? I'm going to play with that approach some.

One question, how did you record that? Was it direct from AXE into a DAW, or did you mic something in the room? I heard a lot of pick noise when you were doing the Brit 800. Was your vocal mic picking that up maybe? Just wanting to make sure that was not coming through the AXE. Tone sounded really good as a raw tone, but the pick sounds were throwing me off a bit.

Yeah it is the vocal mic picking it up. In the intro clip the vocal mic was still off.

Clark, out of curiosity, for an 8 string, would you use the 8th string or would you still use the 6th for gauging the EQ?

Probably the lowest string. Actually when I do the final tests and fine tune I start going up on the neck with the same technique to make sure that it's balanced for the guitar throughout the whole scale.

8 strings might be a bit different though. To make the whole scale work for djent you can't do that scoopy thing but instead maybe even have a bit more mids. The 5153 is pretty good for that since it's so overly tight even when using a lot of gain. It sounds pretty good even when there's a lot of middle like the stock settings in this video.

I'm glad there's someone else who shares my weird sense of humor. :lol

No problem Boss, I actually always found your sense of humor quite endearing :encouragement:. Question, though. Why do you correct yourself in the video after referring to models as Mark and Marshall? You specifically said, "There are no Marshalls, its 'Brit.'" I just found it unusual, no offense or anything intended.

i don't see the word "Marshall" anywhere in the amp list :)

I must be having an autistic moment Chris, I don't know what your point is. Sorry if I was being stupid I guess.

I'm working for FAS so my final official statement is that there are no Marshall amps in the Axe-Fx. :lol

I see, that makes sense. I forgot you were officially with FAS now. Thanks again for the video, Clark.

Here is the quick summary of the video...

"Use your ears."

I've never understood people that obsess over the numbers on the dial. But I've also never chased another person's tone either so maybe that's why I don't get it.

An interesting and similar technique for dialing in an amp that I heard/learned a few years ago is to put everything at 12:00. Turn the bass all the way down and start turning it up. Make note of the point where it starts to sound significantly different. Return to 12:00. Repeat the process for Mid, Treb, etc. Once you have those numbers, set the controls to those points and then tweak the gain and make small adjustments from there. Again the purpose of the exercise is to let you learn how to dial it in with your ears and not set up focused on the numbers on the dials.

Great video. It will help a lot of new people for sure.

BTW are you Finnish or Swedish? Your (real) name looks Finnish, but your accent sounds kind of Swedish to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom