Clark Kent: You can use PEQ to compensate...

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
THIS TOPIC HAS A FEW BASIC TIPS ON HOW TO GET REALISTIC TONES OUT OF THE AXE-FX. IT'S QUITE A READ BUT IF YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR TONE TO THE NEXT STEP THEN YOU SHOULD DEFINATELY READ IT SINCE THESE TIPS WILL ANSWER MOST OF THE QUESTIONS I USUALLY GET ASKED AROUND HERE. REMEMBER THAT THESE ARE NOT RULES, THIS IS THE WAY I DO IT AND IF YOU HATE MY TONES THEN READ WHAT I DO AND DO THE OPPOSITE. ;)

... has been the answer to many of my tone related dilemmas here on the forum. I just want to make it clear to you guys that in my case it usually doesn't. I get a lot of questions concerning my patches and how I get the tones that I get etc. The truth is I don't have any go-to patches. I always create new ones since the Axe-Fx is that easy to use. So for me to post patches would be like me scanning and posting my toilet paper after wiping my butt a week ago. I've always flush them after use... they don't exist anymore so I can't give them to you. All of those patches have two things in common: no PEQ, just amp+cab.

The Axe-Fx is the best way to get tube-like tones. I actually think that I can get the Axe-Fx to sound even more real than a real amp. All those comparison clips show that people can't seem to tell the difference and in my clips people thought the Axe-Fx was the real think and vice versa. I didn't even tweak the patch, that's just stock settings. Less things can go wrong this way so if you're struggling to get a decent tone out of the Axe-Fx you are probably making things too complicated for yourself. This goes out for the beginners: Don't trust your ears! You are not a professional studio engineer. Trust the Axe-Fx. It'll do what you tell it to do. Your ears are probably polluted by getting accustomed to bad tones. :shock:

My point would be to avoid using the PEQ to compensate for a bad tone. There are so many things that can go wrong/right in the amp sim that using a PEQ is unnecessary. Using a PEQ is most likely going to fail since most guitarist don't know what to do with it. Lowcut is fine, high cut is unnecessary if you are using cab sims since the "right ones" have a natural roll-off. I've seen dozens of guitar mixing tutorials which all tell us to boost highs. DON'T DO IT! You just tweaked the tone that's perfectly balanced so boosting highs is like adding unnatural sounding treble to your tone that should be awesome by now. Cut the lows if your guitar doesn't fit in the mix. Use compression. Anything except post EQ.

"The PEQ does not compensate!". Okay that's a broad accusation... let me explain. The Mesa Mark series GEQ is something we've already talked about so let's start there. For the scooping part the PEQ does it's job and I do scoop certain amps. Here the PEQ does compensate for the lack of the GEQ in the amp sim. Instead of using the PEQ to boost the lows and high like in the real Mark series GEQ I much prefer using more presence and depth. Like presence at 1.5 and depth at 3-ish. You can go further to compensate for an even more steeper curve. So if you want a more scooped tone you should scoop the power amp simulation, not the whole tone. Presence and depth will take care of that. My tip would be to have twice the amount of depth. Like pres 2 and depth 4 or pres 4 depth 8. Try what suits you.

The second part of why I don't use PEQ for compensation is because the cab sims are already so good that using PEQ after the cab will most likely sound bad in the long run. However using PEQ before the cab sim gives the whole thing a more realistic vibe and lowpass cleans up those fizzy cab sims nicely. STILL!! I wouldn't do it. I'd switch the amp EQ or pres'n'depth until it sounds good. Using PEQ before the cab sim is usually compensation for a bad cab selection. Recto2 is what I'm loving ATM. Sounds really cool on just about any tone.

I hope this helps you guys. I also hope that we get a conversation out of all this. Thanks for reading!

PEQ has it's place for the Mark sims, but great, great tones can be had without as well with all amps. I just today started messing with the GEQ for a solo boost. Works VERY well. Something else that I learned today is that bumping up the tonestack freq fattens up the tone. I've got an absolutely sick tone using the Shiva Ld amp sim right now. Blows my mind how good it sounds. I experimented with the advanced settings and WOAH! Sounds sooooo good.

Clark Kent said:
I actually think that I can get the Axe-Fx to sound even more real than a real amp.

:?

Clark Kent said:
Don't trust your ears!

:? :? :?

:lol: Sorry man, some good ideas in your post too but those statements threw me for a loop. Good conversation starter for sure! I do agree to get the best tone you can with the basic controls before going to anything else. My patches are all quite simple in the basic tone generating department and then build on with FX as needed for ear candy from there. :mrgreen:

It depends what you're using to play your AxeFX through, and to some extent what type of music you play, but generally, I couldn't disagree more.

I play in covers bands through an FRFR powered monitor (RCF ART 322A), often using the monitor as a stage volume backline amp. I use the RedWire IRs and find that without PEQ, they do sound very accurate for the sound of the mic used and it's placeemnt. No surprise either that i find the AxeFX amp models excellent.

At high volumes, I don't like the sound of that at all, partly due to the Fletcher Munson effect, but mainly, the sounds I like of real cabs are off-axis at a few feet away, which needs EQ at high volume to remove the extreme highs and lows that are so accurately produced by FRFR systems. A farfield IR ought to work in theory, but I haven't found any yet that have the character I'm used to hearing. So close mic + PEQ works a treat for me. I love strong mids too, but that's just my preference.

Clark Kent said:
Don't trust your ears! You are not a professional studio engineer. Trust the Axe-Fx. It'll do what you tell it to do.

This was my first and biggest mistake with the AxeFX. I fooled myself into thinking that I had become too conditioned to the tone of other modellers, and that the AxeFX was delivering what I had been missing. Big mistake at stage volume: thin/piercing tone that cost me an ongoing gig with a new band. All my fault for not trusting my ears. :cry: So I've used a PEQ to varying degrees since gig #2, and still get get tone compliments - sound tech last night told me my stage tone was awesome.

Zorran said:
would it be any different if you knew exactly what you wanted and how to get it with a PEQ?

Ofcourse. I can't give tips to you Zorran. Your tones rock. You know your stuff!

My point was mainly that you shouldn't use PEQ to boost lows or highs and scooping can also be done with the amp sim. Ofcourse you can get very versatile with the PEQ but so many things can go wrong. Use studio monitors/frfr for this. Live situations are different situations. I've only had three gigs where I could trust the FOH gear.

Maybe forgotten that....

at the end of the chain there is a man on the mixing-console with an EQ in your channel. He has four or five knobs on my channel and not much time for my signal.

Let him do it, or better EQ it yourself, you can choose...

Bernd

Clark Kent said:
Zorran said:
would it be any different if you knew exactly what you wanted and how to get it with a PEQ?

Ofcourse. I can't give tips to you Zorran. Your tones rock. You know your stuff!

thanks clark. i was just wondering if there was something i missed about the peq :)

Personally, I too have found that I don't need to use PEQ except for some rare occasions... A simple GEQ with almost everything flat and a slight mid scoop or a bit of presence added for more bite is all I usually need... I use the GEQ just to cut some mids because in the amp block I almost never cut mids...

I never need PEQ to create basic amp/cab sounds. It's nice to know it's there if you need it, but it is definitely not always necessary.

To me, the point is that you shouldn't be fixing mistakes or covering up things in other blocks with a new effect or block. This applies to all things music. When I first started mixing in my home studio, I heard about a lot of different FX and all they could do - EQs, compressors, reverbs, etc. I worried less and less about the quality sound of my source material, and banked more heavily on my ability to get anything to sound cool once it hit the mixing and mastering stage. Boy did I shoot myself in the foot. Since I also didn't know how to use the FX sparingly / tastefully, I did exactly what is described here. I would add EQ. Enough to where I could hear a noticeable difference. I'd over compress things. After listening long enough, I'd lose sense for any reference mix and be comparing one ugly mix to the ugly mix it had been 5 minutes before. I'd try to fix incorrect use of one effect by using another effect. I applied this technique to my band's album for many many months. Every once in a while (usually right as I was wrapping up a session) I would actually think it sounded good. But most times as I'd listen it sounded like crap, and it was really discouraging.

Finally as I was right about to throw in the towel, I decided to do a last ditch effort, taking my raw tracks and working from there. I deleted all the plug in processors from my mixes and listened to just the raw tracks with no mixing. It sounded so much better than the disgusting over-complicated, over-processed crap I had put together. It was a painful realization but an important one.

I didn't waste a few months. I learned a valuable rule of thumb: Don't add anything to your mix, signal chain etc. until what you already have sounds superb. If no matter what you do you can't get the raw track, or basic source to sound right, scrap it and start over. There is a tiny tiny market for audio restoration engineers. Unless you're one of those, and you have a very specific set of tools for audio restoration, stay away from using FX for fixing anything about the main tone of the instrument.

That all being said, I am apparently no expert tweaker. Because I can not get the same sound out of my Mark V sans GEQ faders as I can with using the faders. Granted, I don't use the EQ on my amp to fix the sound, only to get a different sound.

Sorry for the rambling! This thread struck a chord with me...

Source material is the most important thing. People ask us how we get the tones we get in our studio and what effects and settings we use. That's not how it works. We mic and finetune everything until the tones sound good as is. F.ex. we might spend a nice 3 hours tuning a snare drum and different mic positions. Well our drummer has 5 toms, two hihats and over a dozen cymbals etc. it sure as hell takes time to tweak good tones but far less than what it takes to EQ crap to sound like candy. In most cases it's impossible.

hi there
I am reopening this thread to tell me experience (which seems different).

since I moved to FRFR (I have a QSC K12) I had to "revisit" my presets to adapt them

what I have found is that, to my ear, all the cab sims lacked highs, and sometimes bass..they all sound quite flat to me...(I ended up using Black 2x12 which is the one I like most and is most similar to the tone I was getting with my amp before).
so I started using graphic EQ on most of them (only on one I have used PEQ), to add a little on the highest frequencies...and sometimes use a mild V configuration
now I know most people do the opposite, and roll those frequencies off, but my ears tell me differently.
obviously I first tried to tweak the amp settings, mainly depth, damp and presence, but sometimes that is simply not enough!
I haven't used an EQ block on all presets (I mainly play Led Zep stuff), but I would say most of them....

has anyone had similar experiences? I agree that EQ shouldn't be used if not needed, but I find going to FRFR had definitely taken some life off my presets....

We all seek different tones so there are no certain rules. My opinion is that EQ is always compensating for something that could've/should've been fixed earlier. That's just how I see it. Lowcut is okay ofcourse since lows are usually always boomy without lowcut. The high end however can be tweaked with so many parameters that using EQ for that is kind of against my own rules. Treble, presence, middle all add up to some kind of high end. Too much depth eats those trebles too so there are many ways to do it and I'm sure it'll sound better than using EQ for it. Once again this is just how I do it.

Back
Top Bottom