Clark Kent: New Mathal

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9298389

This is me trying the new presence with my Recto New patch. I had a few hours of spare time so I made a quick stupid sounding numetal-math-prog-riff. I'm using all new gear now. This is my first recording with my new Music Man JP6, firmware 10 and NEW KRK MONITORS! (yippee maybe I'll learn to do better mixes)

The bass was recorded with the JP6 through the Shiva clean. Seems to work well for that. It's just tuned down an octave and a bit of EQ. The IR is Redwirez Mesa SM57 Cone 1in.

Even if the song is **** let me know how the tones fit the mix! Thanks! :lol:

Sounds great like always. I need you start a how you mix your stuff thread. Perhaps I am just over critical of my own mixes, but yours always sound great.

Ha. You're far too kind! Forums are meant for bashing each other! :) BTW this forum is working too slow nowadays!

My mixing tips would be to keep things as simple as possible. Less things can go wrong. Trust your instincts. You just need to find what works for you and keep trying to make things better and better. I got my first pair of decent monitors a few days ago and mixing is SO MUCH easier now but I think I did OK before.

I think it all comes down to three most important tones in a mix: SNARE, KICK and GUITAR. Superior Drummer 2.0 guarantees the first two. (although I use custom kicks) I use the Nir-Z snare from the Avatar kit. Guitar tone should have the right amount of everything. The best way to make a patch for me is to set the low end with low volume and high end with high volume. This way you'll hear when there's too much low end thump and you can't tweak the tone to hurt your ears with the treble knob. ATM that Redwirez IR I mentioned earlier seems to make everything fit perfectly. :shock: Middle... well... In a recording situation you don't need that much mids since guitar is just about the only middle instrument. I usually have it lower than bass so the tone is naturally scooped.

In no way is this a perfect mix. Like I said the whole thing was made in three hours and that includes writing the riff/drums, recording and mixing. I think the hardest thing is to make the SD2 sound like real drums and I think I failed big time. :D

Clark Kent said:
I think it all comes down to three most important tones in a mix: SNARE, KICK and GUITAR. Superior Drummer 2.0 guarantees the first two.

Do you have the Metal Foundry SDX, or is it just the standard SD2.0?
Sounds better than AD imho

Did you programm the Drums?

shatteredego said:
sounds good to me man!

i am using ez drummer but i am thinking about upgrading to sp2 just for the eq options

It's not the EQ settings that make the SD2 sound better. Well I'm not using any EQ with the SD2. You can EQ the EZDrummer too but you need to have separate tracks and multiple EZDrummers running. The problem with EZDrummer is that you don't have different tones to choose from. I remember the time when everyone had the same snare/kick sound. :D I used to trigger the snare and kick with custom samples.

Felix said:
Do you have the Metal Foundry SDX, or is it just the standard SD2.0?
Sounds better than AD imho

Did you programm the Drums?

Yes I programmed the drums. This is the SD2 and I've tried AD too. AD is better than EZDrummer but it's not at all punchy like the SD2. And with SD2 you've got so many options. The Avatar kit (stock kit) is what I'm using although I've got the Metal Foundry kit. I just didn't find a snare that I really liked in the Metal Foundry kit.

And one more mixing tip would be to use Waves plugins. They really are the best. I use API-2500 compression on almost everything. The "Drumkit 3" preset is what I use on drums...

Clark Kent said:
Yes I programmed the drums. This is the SD2 and I've tried AD too. AD is better than EZDrummer but it's not at all punchy like the SD2. And with SD2 you've got so many options. The Avatar kit (stock kit) is what I'm using although I've got the Metal Foundry kit. I just didn't find a snare that I really liked in the Metal Foundry kit.

And one more mixing tip would be to use Waves plugins. They really are the best. I use API-2500 compression on almost everything. The "Drumkit 3" preset is what I use on drums...

Is it possible to use pieces form different kits to make your "custom kit" in SD2? Like using the snare from kit1, the hihat from kit 3 etc.?

Felix said:
Is it possible to use pieces form different kits to make your "custom kit" in SD2? Like using the snare from kit1, the hihat from kit 3 etc.?

Yes it's possible. Here's a youtube video that shows you some kind of combining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC6Hi8geRHk but I usually do it in a way that I have different midi tracks for different kits that I want to use. This way I can EQ/compress them in a different way. I usually have one for kick, one for snare and toms and one for overheads. Sometimes when there's a lot of toms I'll grant them a track of their own. :D Anyways.... once you process them it won't be that tough for your computer.

I could never pull tones like this going direct with the Axe. If I could have I never would have sold my Ultra. Are you doing some drastic eq'ing on these guitar patches? It's such a burly midrange girth with absolutely no fizz or woof, love it.

Ringleader said:
I could never pull tones like this going direct with the Axe. If I could have I never would have sold my Ultra. Are you doing some drastic eq'ing on these guitar patches? It's such a burly midrange girth with absolutely no fizz or woof, love it.

Sorry to hear you sold your Axe-Fx! (firmware 10 rocks!) I'm not using any EQ on guitar tracks. Not in Axe-Fx... no PEQ, GEQ or Global EQ... only a lowcut at 90hz to give the bass some space. Amp EQ settings are very basic. I try to avoid EQ so I have the same tones when playing live. After that it's all about the IR, guitar and ofcourse playing style. I usually play with PRS but this time it was a Music Man JP6.

Cutting midrange + no fizz + tight ass (bottom) = mic in cone position.

Back
Top Bottom