Clarity on output 2, can it match output 1 now?

Is this with factory presets ones you've made...just in case there is something going in your layout that you're not noticing.

Not sure why OUT 2 meter was killed , in copy mode now, makes no sense .
It used to work…..

Hi @Lionfeather
Are you using 1/4 inch TRS to balanced inputs? The manual states;
"Output 2 L+R (Stereo) — (2) XLR-Male Jacks (balanced) — Use these XLR jacks to connect to balanced inputs. Use the ground lift switch if necessary to reduce unwanted 60-cycle hum.".
...So - If you want like for like, you'll need to ensure you are using balanced out to balanced (Or unbalanced) inputs for both output 1 and 2.

I'm just mentioning this as it would be easy to send balanced out 1 to balanced in the RME interface, and use unbalanced cables in output 2, thereby giving you different levels.

Thanks
Pauly

Today I was trying output 2 and was surprised I couldn't get it to be as loud as output 1, with the new line level option.
I do have output 2 set to copy output 1
I do have it set to line level, +4

Am I missing something or did I misunderstand?

Hi @Lionfeather
Are you using 1/4 inch TRS to balanced inputs? The manual states;
"Output 2 L+R (Stereo) — (2) XLR-Male Jacks (balanced) — Use these XLR jacks to connect to balanced inputs. Use the ground lift switch if necessary to reduce unwanted 60-cycle hum.".
...So - If you want like for like, you'll need to ensure you are using balanced out to balanced (Or unbalanced) inputs for both output 1 and 2.

I'm just mentioning this as it would be easy to send balanced out 1 to balanced in the RME interface, and use unbalanced cables in output 2, thereby giving you different levels.

Thanks
Pauly
On the FM3, Output 1 is balanced and Output 2 is unbalanced. You can’t change that by using balanced cables. In fact, if you use a balanced cable in Output 2 — which uses Humbuster technology — and feed that into a balanced Input, you could get unpredictable results.

Last edited:
It used to work…..

Not that I can remember. AFAIK, in "COPY" mode, the VU (= VU meters in the zoomed out Layout screen) meters for OUT2 never registered the level.
Of course, for "COPY" mode to work, there should be no OUT2 block in the preset.

Last edited:
I have both outputs plugged into an RME Fireface UFX, 2 of the mic pre's. The pre amps have an auto set function and I started with the gain at 20. hit a a chord hard. The gain on the output 1channel dropped to zero, the output 2 channel dropped to13, then 12 when I hit it really hard. Then they look balanced in the meters and sound so as well.

I've tried output 2 with a 1/4 to XLR transformer, and direct with 1/4, with the direct I do have to set the RME channel to instrument but the gain difference remains the same in both cases

IIRC, the front XLR inputs on the UFX support mics as well as instruments; the Mic/Gain switch lets you set the correct input level for each. Are the inputs to which OUT1 and OUT2 from the FM3 are connected, set identically?

Last edited:
It used to work…..

I can still get out 2 to clip (led) but the meters are damn low and are not clipping.
Without the copy function, the out 2 meters are (for me at least) completely useless ... (out 2 setup unity gain)

Though it was a great idea, I tried a humbuster cable to connect (with the TRS end in the FM3) and nothing changed level wise. I know I have a 1/4 inch balanced cable somewhere but still looking for it.

Yes there is a selector on the RME pre, and I must chose inst to get anything with a 1/4 inch connection.

I've also tried the input output only suggestion, signal was very hot on output 1 so I dropped the output level on the input block to -7 to get to a no red light level, but still the output 2 level discrepancy remains.

All good thoughts!

Whoops - sorry - I thought we were talking about an Axe FX 3!
Pauly

On the FM3, Output 1 is balanced and Output 2 is unbalanced. You can’t change that by using balanced cables. In fact, if you use a balanced cable in Output 2 — which uses Humbuster technology — and feed that into a balanced Input, you could get u predictable results.

Not that I can remember. AFAIK, in "COPY" mode, the VU (= VU meters in the zoomed out Layout screen) meters for OUT2 never registered the level.
Of course, for "COPY" mode to work, there should be no OUT2 block in the preset.
I have always had the same configuration.
Copy out 1 to 2.
VU2 used to be active. It makes sense right ? As there IS signal coming out of OUT 2.

No matter if it’s a duplicate.

I am am not back reving …..can’t risk a glitch at the moment.

Reactions: Rex
I have always had the same configuration.
Copy out 1 to 2.
VU2 used to be active. It makes sense right ? As there IS signal coming out of OUT 2.

No matter if it’s a duplicate.
The leveling meters show the levels of the Output 1 and Output 2 blocks. When you’re copying Output 1 to Output 2, there is no Output 2 block involved, so you don’t see any indication on the Output 2 meters. Which is okay. You don’t need two sets of meters showing the exact same thing.

Think about it. The Output meters don’t change when you switch from +4 dBu to -10 dBV, or when you turn the Output knobs. That’s not their job.

Rex……it used to be active. When in copy mode you could look down and see both VU’s swinging away. Why the change ??
I liked this because I could SEE both as active and happening. Now, I just have to trust it’s working….

Your at a show…you maybe have an out 2 volume issue……SOUND GUY says “dude, your out 2 VU is dead…that’s why no sound, ME …..trust me it’s working…….

Rex……it used to be active. When in copy mode you could look down and see both VU’s swinging away. Why the change ??
I just rolled back to firmware 1.02. With Output 2 set to COPY OUTPUT 1, there is no movement on the Output 2 meters.

Your at a show…you maybe have an out 2 volume issue……SOUND GUY says “dude, your out 2 VU is dead…that’s why no sound, ME …..trust me it’s working…….
The output meters show the level that's being sent to the output block, not the level that's coming out of it. Let's say you're sending Output 1 to FOH, and you accidentally bumped the Output 1 Level knob down to zero. Sound guy says, "Dude, I'm not getting any signal from you." You look down and see your Output 1 meter pumping away like crazy, and you say, "Trust me, it's working..." ;)

Thanks for the roll back check Rex, appreciate that !
I will have to figure out how I saw 2 active VU’s …..when I never added an OUT2 block. …..odd.
thanks again.

Thanks for the roll back check Rex, appreciate that !
I will have to figure out how I saw 2 active VU’s …..when I never added an OUT2 block. …..odd.
thanks again.
No worries. You got me wondering myself. I had to check it out to be sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom