Christmas in March!!

Webb

Power User
Well my Axe-FX Ultra is sitting on a FedEx truck right now enroute to my house. Needless to say, I'm ultra excited! It's gonna be a looooong day at work waiting to get home...

I understand there is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm ready to dive right in tonight. I bought a used unit with older firmware. Do you recommend the first thing I do is update? I just know I will be impatient and want to fire it up asap (which I will probably do anyway). I hope nothing goes wrong with the update as I've heard some have experienced problems.

I will be going into a Mackie Onyx 400f to my Yamaha HS80 monitors. Has anyone used the Onyx interface with success? I also have a 5150 head and an Egnater head with Diezel cabinet that I may use via the effects return.

Any advice, words of encouragement, kudos, etc. you can give me would be appreciated.

And now the wait begins....

I'd update it first. DL the Axe-Edit and and load firmware and all banks!
;)
Take a picture of yourself and during your giddiness and post it on this thread. (just so we know you are ok) :D

Just my 2 cents, but I think because of how complex the unit is, we tend to over-estimate the learning curve on it. I know I did. Honestly, if you've used multi-fx processors before, you're not going to have much trouble learning the Axe. Learning your way around the menus and what's where is what takes the most time. Much of it is pretty straight forward and you'll be up and running with it within an hour or two. The rest of the next few days is just learning what's where and how it affects the sound and what not. It's really one of the easiest to learn and use systems I've ever seen in a processor. Seriously, for how complex this thing is, you'll be amazed at how fast you can learn your way around it and how easy it is to edit stuff right in the menus.

Enjoy your new Ultra! :D

I'm going on two weeks with mine. The big surprise for me is how little editing I've had to do. Compared to the other units I've owned, this thing sounds good with virtually no tweaking. Just about all I've had to do is select amps and cabs. So far, I've not had to resort to eq or any other band-aid to try and "fix" anything. Not all users get off this easy, apparently, but it's been near perfect for me.

The other interesting thing (which might be all in my head) is that so far with the Axe my "good day ratio" is about 80%. With all my other gear, including my tube amp rig, at best I'll get one good day in three where it sounds good, one day where it sounds "meh", and one day when I just have to turn it off. With the Axe, so far I have had only one really bad day, which was after a brutal day at work.

JWW

Back
Top Bottom