Chorus Vs. Pitch Block Detuned

Overdrive

Inspired
Can someone explain in simple language the difference, pros, cons of a ptich block set to detune vs. a chorus? I love the studio clean preset, and it has the pitch block detune but sounds like a chorus.

Chorus uses very short delays to create a phased out effect, however not as extreme as a flanger or phaser. All three of those are very similar, though.

Detune is just that; a detune. It can sound similar to a chorus, though.

Let your ears decide.

Thanks. I'll explore various instantiations in the presets to see which I prefer. I like the Pitch detune in the Studio Clean preset (I think that's the right name) better than I've liked choruses in general. It's cleaner sounding, well, more clear and defined.

As there's no LFO in the detune is does not wobble. I mostly use the detune because of that, also one side flat, one side sharp.

Yow, for the cost of 4 Eventide pedals, you could get an Axe-Fx!

Actually, "one" Axe FX is like having 6 Modfactors, 2 Pitchfactors, 4 Time Factors, and 2 Space units. My pedal board prior to my Fractal was full of Eventide. So, the next time you get "sticker-shock" from a Fractal, please be sure to look at the VALUE of the unit- it may be one of the best values in gear of ALL TIME.

Chorus, Flange, Phase and Detune can produce similar results, but they are quite different effects:

Chorus is produced with one or more delayed signals, with the delay time varied by an LFO (typically around 20 mSec). These signals are combined with each other and/or the original. The result is harmonically related notches moving over the frequency response. Contrary to popular opinion, Chorus is not strictly the combination of detuned signals, however, audible pitch variation occurs as a result of fast-changing delay times, such as high LFO speed, high LFO depth or fast changing LFO waveforms. Cheap/old digital effect units (not the Axe-FX!) have delivered chorus effects by mixing detuned signals which can sound similar, but it's not the original authentic chorus effect.

Flanging is closest to chorus technically, but not tonally. It generally uses a shorter delay (under 10 mSec) and feedback to accentuate the high frequency response peaks and notches.

For detuning, combining signals with different pitch-shift amounts produces tone similar to a Chorus without the movement of a chorus LFO. You can add to this effect with a short, fixed delay as well (or instead).

All of the above use a time delay to produce their effects. Phasing is different: it combines a signal whose phase varies with frequency with a dry signal. The result is a small number of roughly equally spaced notches in the frequency response. These notches are moved over the frequency response with an LFO that varies the wet signal phase response.

Of course, the caveat with all of the above is that the Axe-FX offers many advanced parameters on its effects, which allows much more variation than was available on original effects, so the lines are blurred between some of these effects.

Last edited:
I was never massively into chorus but I loved the Detune on my old Digitech xp100 Whammy Wah pedal. It definitely sounds a little darker than a typical chorus. One cool thing about the Digitech was that when the heel was down the detune was shallow and when the toe was down it was deeper and more pronounced. I also noticed that the Beating effect that you get from the difference in pitch became faster the higher up on the neck you played. I might try to recreate that type of sound/functionality in the Axe Fx 2.

I like the de-tune ,better that the chorus,and I love chorus .just haven't found my tone yet:D

Back
Top Bottom