Cheap XLR cables

Been using mostly XLR's (+ NL's) from audiopile.net.
Not the cheapest, but have some I've using for close to 10 yrs!

I'll 3rd monoprice. I got into monoprice a while back after reading scores of reviews over on gearslutz. they (apparently) have some issues with noise if you have a longer cable and move the actual cable around a lot... so I've got mogami and planet waves for my longer mic cables but in my rack I've used a lot of monoprice and have had no issues. for the money they are hard to beat.

Neutrik and Switchcraft are my go to for connectors. They often cost more but are consistently good quality.

Highly recommended: https://btpa.com/

Very good quality and a reasonable price. They sell bulk cable and parts too if you're the DIY type.

I have some cheap XLR cables! they are a great way to create cheap frustrations! Wire is garbage and the ends are trash don't waste your money!

I have been buying cables from Colubercable With really good results! Basically 2 for one if you buy from GC or other retailers. Cables and ends are of good quality! I have a pair of 25' and a pair of 50' cables and no regrets. They will also build them in any length you want.

Received the monoprice cables yesterday. 20 bucks each for a 25’er. Have not had a chance to plug them in yet because work basically owns me this week but a quick wiggle test in the jack shows a MUCH, MUCH better fit. I think at 20 bucks this hits the sweet spot between economy and reliability so long as they serve me well.

Great cables indeed, but I've bad no luck getting them to honor their warranty on a failed cable. They didn't even respond to multiple attempts to contact them.
That’s a real shame. I had 2 entire boards built by them and they were stellar. For the 3rd board I too couldn’t get an answer. I went with another builder and still regret it.

I'll 3rd monoprice. I got into monoprice a while back after reading scores of reviews over on gearslutz. they (apparently) have some issues with noise if you have a longer cable and move the actual cable around a lot... so I've got mogami and planet waves for my longer mic cables but in my rack I've used a lot of monoprice and have had no issues. for the money they are hard to beat.
Although I've not personally tried the longer length Monoprice cables, I can say that the 3' or 1m and under work exceptionally well for my Duo 34 board. The Monoprice Gold TS / TRS cables are very good quality. I've also got some Monoprice XLR (F) > TRS cables that replaced my Temple Audio "same" connectors, and these seem to be holding up well...

Great cables indeed, but I've bad no luck getting them to honor their warranty on a failed cable. They didn't even respond to multiple attempts to contact them.
There must be something more to this story. Contact me via PM and I'll see what can be done. They're an excellent company that we've recommended many times.

Although I've not personally tried the longer length Monoprice cables, I can say that the 3' or 1m and under work exceptionally well for my Duo 34 board. The Monoprice Gold TS / TRS cables are very good quality. I've also got some Monoprice XLR (F) > TRS cables that replaced my Temple Audio "same" connectors, and these seem to be holding up well...
i have not either (long length). I only read about folks having said issues... cannot substantiate myself. I have some trs cables from them and lots of short xlr cables and xlr/trs cables - all have been really aces for me. that said I'm not tearing down my setup very often... so they aren't being abused.

i have not either (long length). I only read about folks having said issues... cannot substantiate myself. I have some trs cables from them and lots of short xlr cables and xlr/trs cables - all have been really aces for me. that said I'm not tearing down my setup very often... so they aren't being abused.
I’ll keep an ear out Saturday night for any noise issues and report back so its documented somewhere one way or the other.

Also, i overpaid ordering off amazon. Rookie move for sure. 20 bucks a cable is only 11 or 12.99 right on Monoprice’s site. 5 days to deliver and they charge for shipping but if you’re ordering 4 cables it ends up being like 1 cable free.

I have some 25' monoprice cables that are dead silent and excellent quality. And I have monoprice cables all over my rack, studios, and everywhere else and have had zero issues. Monoprice is typically my first stop when cable shopping.

they (apparently) have some issues with noise if you have a longer cable and move the actual cable around a lot
This will happen with a lot of XLR cables since the outer jacket/insulation is usually thinner than instrument cables. I use Canare Quad Core mic cable for making my instrument and patch cables. If I happen to kick or flip them out of the way, it will make a noise on contact.

I’ll keep an ear out Saturday night for any noise issues and report back so its documented somewhere one way or the other.

Also, i overpaid ordering off amazon. Rookie move for sure. 20 bucks a cable is only 11 or 12.99 right on Monoprice’s site. 5 days to deliver and they charge for shipping but if you’re ordering 4 cables it ends up being like 1 cable free.
hehe, I did the sm thing first time I ordered... then found their site.

This will happen with a lot of XLR cables since the outer jacket/insulation is usually thinner than instrument cables. I use Canare Quad Core mic cable for making my instrument and patch cables. If I happen to kick or flip them out of the way, it will make a noise on contact.
well... I was not aware of that but just a home studio player here. that said, the monoprice cables themselves are really quite thick... not sure how much of that is outter sleeve, shield, or core. that said they aren't very flexible so that could be an issue for some.

well... I was not aware of that but just a home studio player here. that said, the monoprice cables themselves are really quite thick... not sure how much of that is outter sleeve, shield, or core. that said they aren't very flexible so that could be an issue for some.
I did note this. Makes rolling a little more of a chore but the added protection is worth it I think

I would never use an XLR cable that doensn't have some sort of brand name on the connector. Neutrik, Rean, something. The super cheap, thin XLR cables tend to have connectors that are easily dented on the end which causes a loose fit. in the jack I'm willing the bet that just about any time you see someone on a stage having mic issues, it's because of this exact issue.

Just wanted to update this comment. With some help from Admin M@, I got in touch with Brad at BTPA and got everything resolved. They will be sending me a new cable. 👍

Back
Top Bottom