Cheap Trick - Stage Collapse

sprint

Axe-Master
I took a notion to go down to an outdoor concert this evening in my city (Ottawa, Canada) to see Cheap Trick + Joe Satriani. Of course I needed to see Joe for my guitar obsession but I also could not miss Cheap Trick as they were the first live band I saw (backup band for BOSTON in 76 - Love Robin's solo's and Rick's "antics"). Anyway - I had a great spot directly in front of the stage approx 20 rows back. 20 minutes into the show, the sky went black and winds started to howl fiercely. I put on my rain jacket and was getting a bit nervous looking at the spotlight towers behind me starting to sway. In no time at all the wind really started to whip the tarp covering on the stage which was quite large (probably 100"w / 30+" h). The sound cut out and the large crowd started to run. After having my glasses knocked off and finding them undamaged, I started to run too. Looking back I saw the whole stage structure collapse down and backward!!

Seems no one was hurt in reports I've heard so far but man that was scary!!! - Storm topples stage at Ottawa Bluesfest - Canada - CBC News

Used to see Cheap Trick in bars all the time down in Bloomington, IL in 74' and 75'.
Good band.

Ya - that was taken from the VIP seating behind the standing crowd. I was in line with the centre of the stage in the standing crowd. What's not showing there is some towers to the left behind the standing crowd that seemed to be having difficulty against the wind as well but stayed standing. It's a miracle no-one was seriously injured at least from what I've read in the news so far.

So much for getting to see Satch any time soon.

I've seen facebook posts on the Cheap Trick page and sure looks scary. Thank goodness nobody was injured. Their gear suffered of course but that can be replaced. People cannot.

Since I live In Rockford, Rick Nelison was around often at the local clubs, he's been to several of my past live performances, even partied it up with him on a few occasion. Funny guy, very down to earth.

I took a notion to go down to an outdoor concert this evening in my city (Ottawa, Canada) to see Cheap Trick + Joe Satriani. Of course I needed to see Joe for my guitar obsession but I also could not miss Cheap Trick as they were the first live band I saw (backup band for BOSTON in 76 - Love Robin's solo's and Rick's "antics"). Anyway - I had a great spot directly in front of the stage approx 20 rows back. 20 minutes into the show, the sky went black and winds started to howl fiercely. I put on my rain jacket and was getting a bit nervous looking at the spotlight towers behind me starting to sway. In no time at all the wind really started to whip the tarp covering on the stage which was quite large (probably 100"w / 30+" h). The sound cut out and the large crowd started to run. After having my glasses knocked off and finding them undamaged, I started to run too. Looking back I saw the whole stage structure collapse down and backward!!

Seems no one was hurt in reports I've heard so far but man that was scary!!! - Storm topples stage at Ottawa Bluesfest - Canada - CBC News

Holy moly, well cheap trick was my first concert also, probably 1980 or so (though kiss was my first choice), saw them in Chicago I think it was the crown theater since torn down, was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome, I just worshipped anyone with an electric guitar.

Ive been to Ottawa, very nice city, when I was in Syracuse NY for Medical school, it was quite close, a hop across the river.

A stage 100 inches wide by 30+ inches high? Sounds like a Spinal Tap moment. ;)

It's just not fair that they keep showing that clip over and over. We did lots of shows where the stage didn't collapse.
Damn Marty DeBergi and his secret camera!

Man, now I'm referencing the commentary track on the Spinal Tap re-release. Damn, I need a life!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom