Cheap and easy setup for bedroom with a cab?

nick1527

Inspired
Hi All

I was thinking about getting a 1x12 and some sort of power amp just for playing at home without having to turn my computer on.

I had thought about just getting an Engl 1x12 with a V30 and one of those EH 44 Mag pedals to use as a power amp.

I've gone through plenty of expensive amps previously Mesa, Engl, VHT etc and this will be my first time back to playing through an amp of sorts and I'm just wondering if it sounds decent. I don't expect it to sound as good as my previous setups i really just want something to have fun in the house with.

Any other cheap poweramp options that don't suck?

Why not a fairly cheap active monitor?
+1 on powered reference monitors with IR's.

However if you're like me and prefer the feel of a guitar cab - my 1x12 sounds great at various volumes. Granted I'm using a matrix but I'm sure a smaller power amp would do fine.

Why not a fairly cheap active monitor?
X-actly. Go FRFR, that's how to honor the Axe-FX at full capability

I am using Audioengine A2+ over the small desk at my bedroom and they sound great. Not only for the guitar but for recording, mixing, tweaking presets or practicing with backing tracks.

When I review with the Mackie HR824 what I've made with the Audioengine A2+ I rarely have to adjust anything.

Last edited:
I have active monitors but they are running through my computer. Thats how I normally play. To be honest I am probably just trying to spend money for the sake of it!

Hell, just get a second pair of active monitors, so you can leave the computer ones alone. That's how I have mine. Good luck!

edit: Plus, you get to spend a few $$. :D

I have active monitors but they are running through my computer. Thats how I normally play. To be honest I am probably just trying to spend money for the sake of it!

Run them off your AFX, then use the AFX as your sound card for your computer. QED.

Run them off your AFX, then use the AFX as your sound card for your computer. QED.

nah I like the way I have it set up just now as I watch movies on my PC and prefer having my current interface to control volume etc and not have to have the axe on to do that.

I got a small mixer and I run both the computer and the Axe into separate inputs on the mixer. That means I can use them separately and together, control levels either on the computer, the Axe Fx 2 or on the mixer. This goes out to my studio monitors (Adam A5X's) and work great, and I think would be the cheapest and most flexible option.

I usually go FRFR but I do have a 4x12 with a pair of Celestion Cremebacks and pair of G12 T75s mixed and a 1x12 that is a Mesa Thiele cab with an EVM12L in it that sounds great, even at relatively low volume, clean or dirty it really works well.
So I vote the Mesa 1x12 / EVM12L combo for the win..it is sort of evenly un colored so the different amp models are allowed to show through...

Cheap + easy = regret usually.

Not in this case. For bedroom stuff the 44 magnum is the perfect solution. I've measured the response of my own and it is very flat at those levels. It can get really quite loud for home practice and still remain flat before the power amp starts clipping. You'd only need to consider upgrading to a power amp with more headroom and power if you started using that rig for larger shows. Can't be beat for 150 bucks. Been completely happy with mine for a year now.

tech21 powerengine , if you want to have better frfr sensation , you can upgrade the celestion with a beyma 12GA50 , that makes a nice cheap near frfr solution for bedroom or for live . i use 2 upgraded powerengine with my axefxII and never regretted the 400 bucks needed to acquire them used . plus the look of a small 1x12 combo and 60w of flat power and 3 band eq to fine tune te sound.

Cheap + easy = regret usually.

Cheap + easy + bedroom = regret (in the morning) a few times in the past for sure .... but we all have to experiment I suppose

I usually use just headphones now when in my smallish man cave ..... they actually don't sound too far off my FRFR cabs sound at loud volume which is a bonus. I also have a small mixer and powered studio monitors but they only get used very occasionally as I spend more time tracking down resonant buzzes around the room. You probably don't want to stick acoustic treatment panels up in a bedroom.

Once when the house was empty I fired up my brand new at the time stage FRFR cabs at decent volume for the first time and thought the speakers were blown ..... but it turned out to be one of my acoustics vibrating in the guitar rack at the far side of the room in the key of A - but weirdly it sounded like it was coming from the cabs.

I have two Matrix Q12a's monitors which I use live and in my bedroom and sounds great - in my bedroom I just use one of them...

I can vouch for the 44magnum+orange 412 sounds phat!

Otherwise I'd go for a set of studio monitors for bedroom use, I got a great deal on a pair of presonus Eris8s and it sounds lurvleyy especially for the price! Good luck!

Another vote for headphones if you want the "Cheap + easy + bedroom = no regret" equation.

I run two Friedman 2 x12 cabs w/ a Matrix GT1000 and my issue is managing the high SPL damage to my ears - the headphones get around that issue/problem. I run the 80 ohm Beyer Dynamics - not the best but not the worst, but on the AXE FX - it won't damage my ears at full volume (at least no where as quick as standing in front of those cabs with the Matrix).

(An Eric Johnson concert got a hefty portion of my right ear long ago when I was much younger. Still a hard thing for me to "manage" and keep the volume at relatively low levels. Ringing ears remind me to stop that nonsense.)

I run my AxeFX II into 2 CLR active wedges stereo and my neighbors can't hear me at bedroom levels a and I have a townhouse and share a wall.

Back
Top Bottom