CHARACTER, CHARACTER FREQ

andyp13

Power User
I use the Axe with an Amp with 4CM so don't use the Amp blocks.
I have read about the Character control on the Amp and it sounds just the ticket..... I use the drive blocks and would love to have the character option on the drives.
I have a good mild sound when the guitar volume I smacked of but its a little too thin when on full volume.
Is there any thing else that would give me this?

Does anyone use the amp as a drive, this way I guess I would have access to the character option, but can I use an amp block when already using a real amp?

FYI I believe the character parameters are going away for amp models in FW 18, so I wouldn't expect to see them show up in the drive block.

Yek posted a while back about using the Bogner sims with the power amp modeling off to emulate the Bogner pedals. This can be done for any amp. The presence control changes from boost only to boost & cut with the PA sims off so you will need to check that is it sounds real dark. Also, Cliff mentioned that some of the parameters will be eliminated in v18 & I think character was one of them.

I use the Axe with an Amp with 4CM so don't use the Amp blocks.
I have read about the Character control on the Amp and it sounds just the ticket..... I use the drive blocks and would love to have the character option on the drives.
I have a good mild sound when the guitar volume I smacked of but its a little too thin when on full volume.
Is there any thing else that would give me this?

I wonder if some of that may be due to the volume circuit in your guitar. Some guitars thin out when you roll back the volume, due to a treble bleed capacitor. It's to help the guitar not sound muddy when the volume is rolled back, and a lot of people like that. Guitars without a treble bleed cap will thicken up as you roll back on the volume, but the other way to think of that is that the guitar will get relatively brighter with the volume at 10. I don't know, but maybe adding a treble bleed cap, then rolling off some high-end in your rig will help achieve what you want to hear at both 10 and with the volume rolled back. What guitar(s) are you using?

Aw, getting rid of the Character parameter? :(

What a shame, I thought it was a great example of a unique feature to the digital realm, and a bloody handy one at that.

Hopefully it will reappear as something similar once we have G3 modeling. I love the "make it sound like the real thing" approach, but I am definitely ready to have non normal controls to make my own sounds.

I agree. It was really handy to use it a little like a PEQ in the right section of the amp's gain staging. When I found a cab IR that was close, but maybe had a little too much of something, I could carefully dial it out with the character knobs.

But I'm also pretty confident that Cliff is going to be giving us what we need.

Hopefully it will reappear as something similar once we have G3 modeling.

I love the "make it sound like the real thing" approach, but I am definitely ready to have non normal controls to make my own sounds.

Agreed. The Character controls are very useful. And given their function, I don't see how the new modeling will make up for their absence. Then again, I'm an idiot.

Though, I think Cliff even referred to it as his "secret weapon" at one point.

Couldn't you do a similar thing with the filter block & an envelope controlling the amount of EQ?

thankfully yes, if it's a major part of someone's tone.

but i can also use a filter block before an amp block to increase the gain. thankfully there's a Boost and Input Trim parameter still in there :)

thankfully yes, if it's a major part of someone's tone.

but i can also use a filter block before an amp block to increase the gain. thankfully there's a Boost and Input Trim parameter still in there :)

Yeah, the filter blocks come in real handy for clean boost, hitting the amp input harder, etc. I like to use it after clean amps to get a boost & roll off a little high end to counter-act Fletcher-Muson.

I hope it is going to feature in the new firmware, I really fancy using it even though I will have to use an Amp block in replace of a drive block (I use the 4CM) but if it's not in the new firmware I don't want to use it, as I will not be able to upgrade if I like it

Back
Top Bottom