Channels versus scenes

No, totally wrong. :)

A preset's layout grid has blocks. A block can be a Chorus, for example. You can select from a range of Chorus types in that block. If there were no Channels, you'd be limited to that selected chorus type in that preset. Channels let you switch between four chorus types per preset, not just one.

You can switch channels on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

Scenes are comparable to (8) states of a traditional pedalboard, where the preset represents the pedalboard. Scenes are 8 states of that pedalboard/preset, where the pedals (blocks) are switched on or off per scene, AND where the channel of each block is set per scene.

You can switch scenes on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

I'm at work so I cannot look at the states of chorus, could you restate that line with amps instead?

A preset's layout grid has blocks. A block can be an Amp, for example. You can select from a range of amp models and then dial that in. If there were no Channels, you'd be limited to that single dialed-in amp in the preset (not counting the 2nd Amp block). Channels let you switch between four (pre-selected and dialed in) amp models per preset, instead of just one.

You can switch between channels (in this case: 4 tweaked amp models) on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

Scenes are comparable to (8) states of a traditional pedalboard, where the preset represents the entire pedalboard. Each scenes is a specific state of that pedalboard/preset, where the pedals (blocks) are switched on or off per scene, AND where the channel of each block is set per scene.

A preset's layout grid has blocks. A block can be an Amp, for example. You can select from a range of amp models and then dial that in. If there were no Channels, you'd be limited to that single dialed-in amp in the preset (not counting the 2nd Amp block). Channels let you switch between four (pre-selected and dialed in) amp models per preset, instead of just one.

You can switch between channels (in this case: 4 tweaked amp models) on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

Scenes are comparable to (8) states of a traditional pedalboard, where the preset represents the entire pedalboard. Each scenes is a specific state of that pedalboard/preset, where the pedals (blocks) are switched on or off per scene, AND where the channel of each block is set per scene.

Thank you, made it much clearer. I never use chorus. o_O

I wish the scenes were like snapshots in the Helix, i.e., it also included knob settings. I know this can be done with modifiers in the Axe, but it would be neat if scenes worked this way, IMO.

The concept is identical regardless of the type of block ;)

(Not counting blocks that have more/less Channels).

Use of amplifiers made it easier for me to understand. If you say Fender, Vox, Marshall, Boggie, I get it. States of chorus, wtf? :confused:

I've been working with it some more.

Scenes are simply on/off switches for whatever blocks you have chosen for your preset.

For example, If the preset's blocks are: WAH > Drive > AMP > CAB > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB

Scene 1 could be (red): WAH > Drive > AMP 1 > CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB
Scene 2 could be (blue): WAH > Drive > AMP 1 > CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB
Scene 3 could be (green): WAH > Drive > AMP 1> CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB

Only the bolded/colored blocks are active in the given scene.

Channels are an extension of the old X/Y state. Where you used to have two choices, now you have four.

Using the preset above, we could have four channels per block.

Using our AMP 1 block from above , we could have the following four channels:

Channel A: Fender Twin adjusted as desired
Channel B: JTM 45 adjusted to be low gain
Channel C: JTM 45 adjusted to higher gain
Channel D: JCM 800 gained out for solo

Channels settings are locked. If you need more mids, you need to use another channel to save the more mids sound to.

In other words, you can't have more mids in Scene 2, Channel B (unless you use modifiers I suppose).
By selecting Scene 2, you have chosen AMP 1.
By selecting Channel B of AMP 1, you have opted to have its locked in settings.

Since there are two amp blocks, AMP 1 and AMP 2, you can have up to eight amp channels per preset.

My confusion was based on the incorrect thought I could adjust the amp parameters per scene, I didn't grasp that occurred at the channel level.

For example, If the preset's blocks are: WAH > Drive > AMP > CAB > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB

Scene 1 could be (red): WAH > Drive > AMP 1 > CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB
Scene 2 could be (blue): WAH > Drive > AMP 1 > CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB
Scene 3 could be (green): WAH > Drive > AMP 1> CAB 1 > CHORUS > ROTARY > DELAY > REVERB

Great realization and illustration, this is the flexibility the system allows for on the fly as you play live or in the studio when a mod is needed.

A slightly different representation of what you state as I am also mapping out how to best utilize "scenes" vs. "channels" for my future Axe-FX III & FC6/12 units:

Bold - Active Block | Regular - Inactive Block | (Channel A-B-C-D)
Scene 1: WAH (A) > Drive (A) > AMP 1 (A) > CAB 1 (A) > CHORUS (A) > ROTARY (A) > DELAY (A) > REVERB (A)
Scene 2: WAH (A) > Drive (A) > AMP 1 (A) > CAB 1 (A) > CHORUS (A) > ROTARY (A) > DELAY (A) > REVERB (A)
Scene 3: WAH (A) > Drive (A) > AMP 1 (B) > CAB 1 (B) > CHORUS (A) > ROTARY (A) > DELAY (A) > REVERB (A)
Scene 4 [same as Scene 3 but C settings]: WAH (C) > Drive (C) > AMP 1 (C) > CAB 1 (C) > CHORUS (C) > ROTARY (C) > DELAY (C) > REVERB (C)

This kitchen sink has triple osmosis water, tap water, and a 3rd party filtered water.
This kitchen sink also has a spray nozzle that cleans dishes with options high, medium, and low streams, or sparkling water.
This kitchen sink also has a rubber coating, a stainless steel coating, an iron coating, and a marble coating depending on what surface you need.

The hyperbole is it boils down to how you use it, change a 'CHANNEL' to change the behavior of an individual block on the fly versus using 'SCENES' to change multiple parameters in the entire signal chain at a time. All dependent on which dishes you are preparing or food you are cleaning up. FWIW - this is more advanced than what I have seen in "snapshots" from L6H product line because it's an active and living representation of what your live rig can look like at any given moment.

Also, I fully acknowledge the difficulty in learning curve between the scenes v. channels concept. Good stuff @luke!

In other words, you can't have more mids in Scene 2, Channel B (unless you use modifiers I suppose).
And that would include Scene Controllers... I didn't want to raise that before because they usually confuse the hell out of people who haven't gotten scenes understood yet (and even some that have) ;)

Many people happily use Scene Controllers instead of changing channels.

Back
Top Bottom