Channels versus scenes

A channel is like a "preset" of a block.

For example, you can have Amp block 1 with 4 completely different saved settings (i.e, Marshall, Fender, Vox, Mesa), one on each channel.

A scene is a saved setting within a preset which defines the ON/OFF and channel selections states only.

For example, you can have Amp block 1 with 4 completely different saved settings (i.e, Marshall, Fender, Vox, Mesa), one on each channel.

A scene is a saved setting within a preset which defines the ON/OFF and channel selections states only.
Elegantly stated.

Best explanation for this ever! Big thanks unix-guy!

When I first got my Axe-Fx III, I watched a video from YouTube about this topic and the video made the topic more confusing than ever.

You got right to the point and explained it well! Thank you!

Thanks guys. Hopefully it's what the OP needs.

It's really simple once you understand it, but I understand the potential confusion. I was really confused about how scenes worked when I started on Axe Fx II. A simple description like what I wrote would have prevented that for me :)

Yeah I think sometimes when I see the threads about how people want more preset slots if they are really understanding just how big a single preset is now & how much ground it can cover & if they are fully utilizing each preset.
If you go and write a patch with the intention to make use of all Scenes & Channels in every Block it can be quite an undertaking. Ya really need more Scenes for all the different combinations you can make with the Channels.

Last edited:
The thing that is really non-intuitive about the whole system imo is the fact that block parameters are saved at the channel level, but not at the scene level (unless you use a scene modifier).

I’m sure there’s a technical reason why, probably having to do with memory and seamless switching, but it’s one of the weirdest things about the Axe Fx.

The thing that is really non-intuitive about the whole system imo is the fact that block parameters are saved at the channel level, but not at the scene level (unless you use a scene modifier).

I’m sure there’s a technical reason why, probably having to do with memory and seamless switching, but it’s one of the weirdest things about the Axe Fx.
It's not weird, it is the purpose of scenes...

I understand the design. I can even imagine how we got here and some of the technical reasons why.

However, from a user experience perspective I think it is strange, and something that new users clearly have trouble with.

However, from a user experience perspective I think it is strange, and something that new users clearly have trouble with.
I think if explained clearly and simply it would make sense to new users...

But I agree. As I mentioned earlier, it definitely confused me in the beginning.

This explanation is clear and to the point, nicely done. In the beginning I was also confused by the scenes and couldn't figure out why when I changed settings on a specific effect it changed it on all scenes. Reading the manual cleared up the confusion for me and introduced me to the X/Y concept. Now that I have the AxeFX3 I want more channels not scenes. lol :)

This explanation is clear and to the point, nicely done. In the beginning I was also confused by the scenes and couldn't figure out why when I changed settings on a specific effect it changed it on all scenes. Reading the manual cleared up the confusion for me and introduced me to the X/Y concept. Now that I have the AxeFX3 I want more channels not scenes. lol :)

Can you change channels without scenes?

Let me see if I understand this.

Let's assume just amplifiers for this example.

With a scene you can either amp X or amp Y, and you can play with the knobs per scene. So one scene can be brighter, the other more gainy, etc.

With channels you can choose up to 4 different amplifiers per channel, as opposed to only two with the scene scenario.

Please confirm.

Channels replaced the X/Y function that the AX2 has. So you have in most cases 4 channels per effect block with some exceptions that can be changed per scene. You can also use the FC or another midi controller to switch a channel of a block in an existing scene without changing the scene.

Channels replaced the X/Y function that the AX2 has. So you have in most cases 4 channels per effect block with some exceptions that can be changed per scene.

Okay, did not realize X/Y had been replaced. Since we have two amplifier "blocks", with 4 "channels" each, it means a "preset" could have eight possible amplifier types. Since a "preset' has eight scenes, you could in theory, select a different amplifier per scene.

You can also use the FC or another midi controller to switch a channel of a block in an existing scene without changing the scene.

I grasp the concept, not the execution.

Let me see if I understand this.

Let's assume just amplifiers for this example.

With a scene you can either amp X or amp Y, and you can play with the knobs per scene. So one scene can be brighter, the other more gainy, etc.

With channels you can choose up to 4 different amplifiers per channel, as opposed to only two with the scene scenario.

Please confirm.

No, totally wrong. :)

A preset's layout grid has blocks. A block can be a Chorus, for example. You can select from a range of Chorus types in that block. If there were no Channels, you'd be limited to that selected chorus type in that preset. Channels let you switch between four chorus types per preset, not just one.

You can switch channels on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

Scenes are comparable to (8) states of a traditional pedalboard, where the preset represents the pedalboard. Scenes are 8 states of that pedalboard/preset, where the pedals (blocks) are switched on or off per scene, AND where the channel of each block is set per scene.

You can switch scenes on the hardware, in the editor or with a foot controller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom