Changing string gauge on 8 string

Evz

Inspired
Hello All!

hope everyones doing well, been a while since I posted, but I know info here is good :)

I got an 8 string strandberg that came stock with what I believe are 9's or 8's (I believe 9-80), and I want to up them to 10's (10-74). In this situation, should I bother with adjusting the truss rod after re-string?

thanks!

Yes. Always.

Aside from tuning, the truss rod is the most frequent adjustment that a guitar requires. Even if you never change strings or string gauge, you should revisit the truss rod at least twice a year, as the seasons change.

Use a straight edge ruler or square and check out the fret board, see what it look like. Listen for a buzz, or sitar twang in the strings.. play it unplugged and listen to it.

If you're a serious player- out of the box every guitar needs a set up and fret dress

Any time you change strings, even brands- you need a set up

I didn't have great guitars for a long time- but they were well maintained and always professionally set up- and played better than most 10x the price

A slight tweak after a restring is not sufficient to get the guitar to play the way you want it

Back
Top Bottom