Changing amp names in my library. Now they're missing?

bigfoamfinger

Inspired
Weird issue I am having here. Looking to streamline the amp names in my Amp Block Library. The only problem is once I change the name they remove themselves from my unit, and will not re-load.

When I open the Library they are there, new name and all, but they remove themselves from the III and will not reload. I have tried refreshing my Library, no luck. Rebooting, no luck

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Describe how you are renaming your amp names in what amp library.

There is no library for amps, though there is the Amp picker, which pops up when you click below "TYPE" on the left when you have an Amp block selected…

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 3.55.19 PM.png
You can't rename Amps though.

What we call the "library" is in Edit, and is actually called the Block Library, where you can store modified Amp blocks and is what pops up when you click on the reveal triangle next to "LIBRARY", below "TYPE". As I said before, you can't rename amps, but you can rename the blocks you've saved that contain particular amp block settings.

If you're talking about the Block library, it's possible that you need to "Refresh", which tells Edit to rescan its library folders.

Describe how you are renaming your amp names in what amp library.

There is no library for amps, though there is the Amp picker, which pops up when you click below "TYPE" on the left when you have an Amp block selected…

View attachment 122015
You can't rename Amps though.

What we call the "library" is in Edit, and is actually called the Block Library, where you can store modified Amp blocks and is what pops up when you click on the reveal triangle next to "LIBRARY", below "TYPE". As I said before, you can't rename amps, but you can rename the blocks you've saved that contain particular amp block settings.

If you're talking about the Block library, it's possible that you need to "Refresh", which tells Edit to rescan its library folders.
Block Library, and refreshing does not load them. I have done this before and never a problem

Weird issue I am having here. Looking to streamline the amp names in my Amp Block Library. The only problem is once I change the name they remove themselves from my unit, and will not re-load.

When I open the Library they are there, new name and all, but they remove themselves from the III and will not reload. I have tried refreshing my Library, no luck. Rebooting, no luck

Am I missing something here?

The block library is not on your Axe-FX. It is only on your computer.

The block library was never on the III in the first place. You seem to be looking for something on the III that cannot possibly ever be there.
Yes technically the saved amp block is not housed in the III itself, but this is not really the point. For whatever reason my III is not reading what's in the Amp block library on the computer. 83 amp blocks in the folder, 78 showing available in the III. Refreshing does not update

Yes technically the saved amp block is not housed in the III itself, but this is not really the point. For whatever reason my III is not reading what's in the Amp block library on the computer.
It can't see your computer.

The Edit application acts as a bridge from the computer to the modeler. Edit knows about the Block Library and you can add elements from the block library to a preset and then send that preset to the modeler, but at no time does the modeler know anything about the contents of the library otherwise.

In general, the modeler acts like a host computer and the Edit application acts like a terminal to it, that happens to be hosted on your computer. Everything happens on the modeler, with Edit telling it what you wanted it to do. There are a few things that the modeler can do that Edit can't, and there are some macro capabilities that Edit can do to reduce work for us if we tried to do it on the modeler's front-panel, but, in general, the modeler is the boss, and Edit is the slave. Edit stores things such as the Block Library on the drive, along with backups, and can read backups and the library, and can send presets and IRs to/from the modeler.

It can't see your computer.

The Edit application acts as a bridge from the computer to the modeler. Edit knows about the Block Library and you can add elements from the block library to a preset and then send that preset to the modeler, but at no time does the modeler know anything about the contents of the library otherwise.
I have transferred entire block libraries (amps, effects, etc) from my III to FM9, simply by copy/pasting the block folders into the designated FM9 block folders on the computer, and the FM9 was then able to use those blocks after refreshing libraries from the drop down

I have transferred my entire block libraries (amps, effects, etc) from my III to FM9, simply by copy/pasting the block folders into the designated FM9 block folders on the computer, and the FM9 was then able to use those blocks after refreshing libraries from the drop down
You're not understanding how it works.

You can't transfer the block libraries from the modeler. There is NO command in the modeler that will initiate that action.

It's most likely you used the Preset > Save All Blocks to Library menu item in Edit. EDIT asked the modeler for that preset, the modeler sent it, and then Edit saved the blocks into the library.

For whatever reason my III is not reading what's in the Amp block library on the computer. 83 amp blocks in the folder, 78 showing available in the III. Refreshing does not update
You're using both FM9-Edit, and Axe-Edit III?

The problem is that they're not using the same folder for their libraries. You have to tell them where to store and find the blocks. Look in the Settings > Preferences > Workspace tab, and point them to the same Library folder. Refresh the library in both editors, then they can see the files. At that point, you can use Axe-Edit III to send presets to the FX3, but, again, at no time will the FX3 know anything about the block library, only both Edit applications will.

Because you are using multiple Edit applications, I recommend creating a folder outside the preference hierarchy in your account on your drive in somewhere more generic, like in a ~/Documents/Fractal Block Library kinda place. Point both editors there, and they'll read and write just fine.

The advantage of this is you can then use a cloud backup service, like Dropbox, to automatically move the files to the cloud for redundant storage. I actually have local hard drive backup, and Dropbox and long-term storage in another cloud service just because I hate losing my work.

When using this sort of combined library, you can run into situations where you stored a block with a newer version of the firmware than the other modeler is running. Generally, that's more likely to happen if you use the FX3 to create blocks and then want to use them on the FM9 because the FX3 is almost always the most current version of the firmware, and the FM9 will get the settings after it catches up. Probably it'd work better to use the FM9 to create blocks as a result.

@Greg Ferguson Here's my flow-- Go to Amp block, drop down arrow under Library, I save a specific amp setting. This saves to the library in my computer under whatever I title it. I just did one, titled TEST 6.12.23 and it's now in my amp block library on my computer

This has worked vice versa for me up until now. I have been able to add block files to the amp block folder on my computer, and the III/FM9 would allow me to pull from and use it anytime

I will look into whether to not these libraries are shared between devices

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.52.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.52.54 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.57.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 6.57.52 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
@Greg Ferguson Here's my flow-- Go to Amp block, drop down arrow under Library, I save a specific amp setting. This saves to the library in my computer under whatever I title it. I just did one, titled TEST 6.12.23 and it's now in my amp block library on my computer

This has worked vice versa for me up until now. I have been able to add block files to the amp block folder on my computer, and the III/FM9 would allow me to pull from and use it anytime

I will look into whether to not these libraries are shared between devices
Look at the Library path for the workspace in both Editors and confirm they're pointing to the same location.

Look at the Library path for the workspace in both Editors and confirm they're pointing to the same location.
They're not. But that shouldn't matter for this issue. This library here is where I saved the latest TEST amp block, no problem. This shows it's communicating with the correct Library, when it comes to saving a block to the library. However, these highlighted Diezel blocks were titled differently earlier today. I simply changed the name in the Library and now they won't populate at all when I open the library drop down in the III. Essentially the III is not communicating with the Library on the back end. It will send to it, but not receive from it thus why REFRESH does not work

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 7.08.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 7.08.53 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Can you describe what you're trying to do and what the problem is?

If you're trying to rename blocks by renaming files in the Finder, that won't work.

You see how the full filename on the computer contains a timestamp but AEIII will not display that part of the filename, though it's there. And when you renamed some files outside AEIII, you deleted their timestamp parts.

Back
Top Bottom