Changes in Delay and MultiDelay block

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Exposed Delay block Feedback parameters to modification.

Added protection against runaway feedback in Multi-Delay block.

Fixed Multi-Delay total feedback can exceed 100% causing instability.

Fixed Delay block Sweep type Feedback Left modifier referencing Master Feedback instead of Feedback Left.

Let's talk about delays! ;) Just reading this in the 12.04 Beta release notes.
Can someone explain what is meant by all this? Don't understand it at all. I have the feeling that the default sound of some of the types the MultiDelay block have changed since 12.03. Especially the flex shift type. All shifts are set at 24 by default. Can't remember that it was like that before. Maybe it is me getting paranoid or maybe these things from the release notes have to do something with it?
Can someone who is still on pre 12.03 FW confirm if the MultiDelay blocks sounds indeed different somewhat in 12.03?

Last edited:
Nothing changed in the Plex shift. The Quad-tap now has protection if the data value exceeds a certain threshold but that is well beyond clipping the outputs anyways. It would be inaudible.

IOW, you are imagining things.

ok thanks for the info! So the shift settings of all four delays were set to 24 by default before? didn't notice that before.
Really like the Plex Shift delay by the way :encouragement:

Is that the reason that since i've updated to 12.04 all my patches including a multidelay set to quad tap go beserk? I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that I'm doing something wrong or touched a button I shouldn't have, but all I hear now in quad tap type is this pulsating clipping noise (clipping indicator goed as red as it can be, decibels far exceeding the signal output). All other multidelaytypes are fine btw, so I'm wondering, has this anything to do with the new protection?

Is that the reason that since i've updated to 12.04 all my patches including a multidelay set to quad tap go beserk? I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that I'm doing something wrong or touched a button I shouldn't have, but all I hear now in quad tap type is this pulsating clipping noise (clipping indicator goed as red as it can be, decibels far exceeding the signal output). All other multidelaytypes are fine btw, so I'm wondering, has this anything to do with the new protection?

The feedback values probably changed. I would reset the block by double-clicking Bypass.

I've tried that but the 4 feedbackvalues in page 2 of the quad tap type seem to be frozen on 100%, they do not respond to me dialing te valueknob or the A, B, C and D knobs.

First of all, what smcrosby said multiplied by a thousand! This kind of customer service is by all means unparalleled! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now here is the preset. Somehow I feel (a lot of) you are gonna figure out pretty quick what I did wrong, making me wanna put on some donkey ears and stay in a corner for a considerable (and well deserved) amount of time, I can be a real buffoon from time to time....

Attachments

• Friedman HBE.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
First of all, what smcrosby said multiplied by a thousand! This kind of customer service is by all means unparalleled! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now here is the preset. Somehow I feel (a lot of) you are gonna figure out pretty quick what I did wrong, making me wanna put on some donkey ears and stay in a corner for a considerable (and well deserved) amount of time, I can be a real buffoon from time to time....

The sum of the feedbacks equals 100% so the block is oscillating. Just select Feedback 1 and reduce the value to, say, 10%.

I understand this but I can't change the value for Feedback 1 (or 2, 3 and 4 for that matter) The value seems fixed at 100% and is neither responding to the valuedial, the A, B, C or D knob nor in Axe Edit.

I understand this but I can't change the value for Feedback 1 (or 2, 3 and 4 for that matter) The value seems fixed at 100% and is neither responding to the valuedial, the A, B, C or D knob nor in Axe Edit.

Go to Page2. Use the Down Arrow key and select Feedback 1. There will be a '>' pointing at the parameter. Turn the Value knob counter-clockwise.

That's the way I have been trying to do this all along. However the value seems to be stuck on 100% and doesn't respond to me turning the value knob.

Is there any way you can make a video showing that, and maybe scrolling through all pages of that delay block too?

Yes, I guess I could do that, but to make things even stranger (at least for me), when I select a preset that doesn't have a Multidelay and I select it, it comes up in quad tap type and all is fine, feedback 1, 2, 3 and 4 are at 10% and fully responsive to me dialing the value knob. If however I change the type to plexi and then go back to quad tap, the damage is done, all four feedbacks are at 100% and not responding to anything. Just now even the cursor buttons stopped working as well.

Other than that, after a quick on and off the unit works and sounds fine as allways, except for the problem mentioned above.

Maybe this observation will help:

I went to preset 182 (Four Repeats) that uses a Multidelay. In this preset the Multidelay is working fine and moreover, keeps working fine, no matter how many times I change the type, everytime I go back to the Quad Tap type, it is still working fine and everything is responding as it should be. no oscillation whatsoever.

cpotter, maybe you can try this as well (if you haven't written over factory preset 182 that is).

Now I'm going to toothcomb this and see what the difference might be between the Multidelay settings in de preset I posted and factorypreset 182, the devil might be in the details so to speak.

I tried the 4 repeats and it works fine switching between the different MTD effects. Quad type works fine.
My other presets that had Quad Tap MTD all have the problem Will described where the delay feedback 1 2 3 and 4 got changed from 10% to 100 % and cannot be changed to another value.
I have tried removing the MTD and putting it back in and still have the problem.
I have updated all presets and I have tried the double bypass effect reset.

Back
Top Bottom