Celestion F12-X200

Okay. Here's what you're asking for yek83. One var smoothing, the other ERB smoothing.
View attachment 110301
View attachment 110302
Right. Now we see the silliness in comparing your measurements to the CLR anechoic measurement, and so on.
Now ERB takes into account the difference in the ear's ability to discern bandwidth differences, it makes sense to use the ERB smoothing to flatten a curve instead of the var smoothing. Why waste your EQ points in an area that the ear can't hear gaps as well as at the top end?
No, I already went over this.

Here's the wiki description of ERB:
"ERB is a measure used in psychoacoustics, which gives an approximation to the bandwidths of the filters in human hearing, using the unrealistic but convenient simplification of modeling the filters as rectangular band-pass filters."

Again, REW recommends other smoothing filters for a reason. ERB is a concept to learn, then you can use other less drastic smoothing filters to make interpretations.
These are not crappy speakers.
They are for neutral monitoring.
Anybody can correct their speaker, you don't need to tweak your nipples over room reflections and other things unless you really want to.

Here's a good video for correcting your speakers. All it takes is a $100 microphone and an equalizer (preferably analog).

You're not correcting your speaker. This video doesn't show speaker correction, it shows sound system (speaker + room + listening position) correction by using REW, Room Equalization Wizard. You're "tweaking your nipples over room reflections" and are doing it badly.

I know you have a point, but for the 99.99% of us, no one cares about their room as much as their speaker/cabinet.
Can we agree to disagree and maybe the rest of us can stay who'd rather make their speaker flatter than spend thousands to make their room acoustically neutral?
Again, what you've been doing isn't an effort towards making your speaker flatter but is an effort towards trying to make your room more neutral.

If you're trying to make your speaker flatter, see link here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/celestion-f12-x200.138674/page-37#post-2330822

Again, what you've been doing isn't an effort towards making your speaker flatter but is an effort towards trying to make your room more neutral.

If you're trying to make your speaker flatter, see link here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/celestion-f12-x200.138674/page-37#post-2330822
If using an EQ to improve the sound on a speaker is such a bad idea, why do the most highly regarded FRFR speakers do it? They even provide multiple EQs depending on how it's mounted. Should they disable the EQ and just include a note to apply acoustic treatment to your room?

Where have I suggested that?

Edit: It wasn't you who said it. So you're right, you didn't say that.
What part of the link you sent in any way improves the neutrality of a room? That's just a description on how to measure?
Did you include the wrong link?

Last edited:
Edit: It wasn't you who said it. So you're right, you didn't say that.
What part of the link you sent in any way improves the neutrality of a room? That's just a description on how to measure?
Did you include the wrong link?
“Improves the neutrality of the room” isn’t the way to think about it. For loudspeaker measurements, you want to eliminate the reflections by applying a window to the impulse response. It limits the low frequency data you can get, but at least it's usable loudspeaker data. I really don't know how to make it simpler than the article with its pictures and all, read it several times if you need.

I do understand what you're saying. You see reflections in the lower frequencies that should be removed before doing EQ adjustments on non-smoothed charts.
But consider that the example gated measurement in your link looks oddly similar to an ERB smoothed chart, the type on which I based my adjustments anyways. I'm curious to see if there would be a significant difference with the EQ adjustment with that gated measurement. I mean, there better be after 4 pages of back and forth.

Are you aware that I am modifying the frequency response with a 31 band equalizer? Which speaker chart are you talking about? I appreciate your help, but I feel you're jumping to conclusions that make me not want to hear your opinions. In other words, I can sense when someone is just trying be a know-it-all versus trying to be helpful.

It would be part of a learning experiment based on mathematically generated curves for the horn. I'm not making any guarantees. Surely you've experimented before?
Hallo good evening i have a Atomic reactor 112 18 watt somebody know if Is possibile too change the speacker with the frfr Celestion? I use axe fx ultra. Thanks

Hallo good evening i have a Atomic reactor 112 18 watt somebody know if Is possibile too change the speacker with the frfr Celestion? I use axe fx ultra. Thanks
Sorry, I just saw your post. I think power might be a problem. I've heard that solid state (SS) wattage is about the equivalent of 2-3x that of tube amp wattage. The F12-X200 seems to be happy with a 600 watt SS amp for overhead but actually running around 400+ watts. That 18w tube amp will be the equivalent of a 40-60 watt SS amp. So the 18 watt tube amp seems to fall short. If ever in doubt, you can ask Celestion about your situation.
https://celestion.com/dr-decibel/

Last edited:
Guys?

The X200 is almost as loud as a usual celestion, so running it with 18w already is insanly loud, the same as with an analog speaker. I have been running it with 20w on a medium big stage, for sure loud enough.

So this is not the question when someone asks if he can run it with an 18w tube amp. The question is if that amp has an 8 ohms speaker out and if it is a two wire fullrange out or if there's an x-over already built-in and you got 4 wires. The X200 needs 2 wires only. It has it's own x-over built-in.

My speacher of the reactor 112 Is 150 watt but not frfr thats why i ask . I like the valve warm but Is not frfr as supposed too be.and i was thinking this option May me Better.

Back
Top Bottom