Carvin DCM1540L

sarge

Power User
Got it a few days ago. While I am obviously still in the honeymoon phase, I have to give this power amp some major props.

Wow!!!!!

I am now mad I did not go this route sooner.

Very light 14lbs. Class A/B

And holy crap does this thing pack a punch. I am going into a guitar cab. I have run it through a Marshall 1960A cab, and a Splawn 2x12 (G12-T75's). This amp has far more headroom and power then I could ever use. I am going through just a single channel, not even bridged, And I think I would probably blow my speakers before the amp started clipping. Low end for days. Handles it no problem.

Played it for the bandmates and they were blown away. Other guitarist now wants one.

Can't say how it compares to any other power amps except a Mesa 20/20. Obviously way more power and headroom then that power amp.

Was going through the power amp section of my Quickrod previously. Thought that sounded great as long as I disabled power amp modeling (which then made models like the Plexi's unusable)

This sounds as good as I had hoped. Actually better when you consider it puts out more power then I expected.

Anyway, just had to give this power amp some props. I am VERY pleased.

And again, there is a trend here with Carvin for me anyway. I have read so much negative stuff about Carvin on message boards. I have said it before and I will say it again.

I have never used any piece of guitar gear with the name Carvin on it that I didn't think kicked ass. Every Carvin guitar I have touched played awesome. Every Carvin amp I have plugged into sounded great! And this power amp is no exception.

Glad to hear your satisfaction with Carvin, I too have had good experience with various carvin products. The amps and guitars are on par with other brand names, I just wish someone in their R&D department would pump up the wattage in their single space amp offering. I feel that they could offer the US market a cost competitive product to the modeling community.

I've been using a pair of the DCM-1540L's for several years now and as I've said many times IMO they're the most under-rated power-amps out there.

Glad to hear...been thinking about the possibility of picking one of these up if I have to settle for passive CLR's. I just like to buy American when possible, and if I had issues I would hate to have to ship overseas...

Check out the specs

SPECIFICATIONS

Class: A/B
Channels 2
Watts per channel - 8 ohms: 475 watts
Watts per channel - 4 ohms: 825 watts
Watts bridged: - 8 ohms: 1500 watts

I would say the one con I have seen so far (and it is not a con to me) is that it is 2u rather then 1u.

For 399 + shipping, well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Would it be an upgrade from the t100(carvin 100 watt tube)?

Yes, it would. I had a TS100, upgraded to an Atomic 50/50 (which sounded better than the TS100), and then upgraded to the DCM1540L (which was better yet). Sounds better, more headroom, lighter, same "feel" with no tubes to replace.

Got it a few days ago. While I am obviously still in the honeymoon phase, I have to give this power amp some major props.

Wow!!!!!

I am now mad I did not go this route sooner.

Very light 14lbs. Class A/B

And holy crap does this thing pack a punch. I am going into a guitar cab. I have run it through a Marshall 1960A cab, and a Splawn 2x12 (G12-T75's). This amp has far more headroom and power then I could ever use. I am going through just a single channel, not even bridged, And I think I would probably blow my speakers before the amp started clipping. Low end for days. Handles it no problem.

Played it for the bandmates and they were blown away. Other guitarist now wants one.

Can't say how it compares to any other power amps except a Mesa 20/20. Obviously way more power and headroom then that power amp.

Was going through the power amp section of my Quickrod previously. Thought that sounded great as long as I disabled power amp modeling (which then made models like the Plexi's unusable)

This sounds as good as I had hoped. Actually better when you consider it puts out more power then I expected.

Anyway, just had to give this power amp some props. I am VERY pleased.

And again, there is a trend here with Carvin for me anyway. I have read so much negative stuff about Carvin on message boards. I have said it before and I will say it again.

I have never used any piece of guitar gear with the name Carvin on it that I didn't think kicked ass. Every Carvin guitar I have touched played awesome. Every Carvin amp I have plugged into sounded great! And this power amp is no exception.

Glad you're liking it sarge, I knew you would.;) I do have one concern with this amp, I think it could be causing some structual damage to our home.:eek:

Last edited:
Glad you're liking it sarge, I knew you would.;) I do have one concern with this amp, I think it could be causing some structual damage to our home.:eek:

It is freaking LOUD.

No struggle with volume.

Like a said, my cabs will give out before the power amp will

I agree completely about Carvin products being way underrated. I have a Carvin 8 string and I don't think that I could love any other brand of guitar after the stunning craftsmanship that went into that instrument. I also have a Carvin v3m, after a tube swap from factory tubes, it is a kick ass little amp.

Add me to the list of happy Carvin guitar owners. I have 4 or 5 Carvins, and 2 of them get more play than the Suhr, Sadowski or Benedetto. I get the impression that some people think Carvin stuff is less desirable because it's less expensive. Unbelievable, when you consider most guitarists are broke!

The TS100 is a tube power amp... The he DCM is not.

I have a slight case of Carvinitis as well... Started out with 1 custom guitar... Now up to 11... I need help...

Add me to the list of happy Carvin guitar owners. I have 4 or 5 Carvins, and 2 of them get more play than the Suhr, Sadowski or Benedetto. I get the impression that some people think Carvin stuff is less desirable because it's less expensive. Unbelievable, when you consider most guitarists are broke!
My main Axe is a Carvin DC400 (has been for last 10 yrs) with a customized Bolt as a backup. Have a Strat ('82) and an LP Custom ('81) that are not used for gigs - maintain them periodically, play, new strings, clean, etc. but do not gig them. That LP is a solid body and will break your back.. but awesome rock guitar!!

Have used Carvin SS amps for PA in the past, and use their IEM wireless unit (EM900) for gigs now, but use my own Westone buds as I find theirs to bright with not enough low-end for bass.

My bass guitar would have been a Carvin Icon IC5 model, but my old Aria Pro II died (electronics went out) and I needed one "stat" for gigs so I went local and bought an Ibanez SR755 (great bass too BTW).

Carvin products are very underrated for the $$ IMHO. NOT everything they have is "great" but I wouldn't hesitate to buy any guitar or amp from them.

The TS100 is a tube power amp... The he DCM is not.

The TS100 is an awful amp to maintain. To bias it, you need to put an amp meter IN LINE with the MAIN CURRENT. I like living and having a heartbeat and all. Way too dangerous for me.

Stick with that DCM. I am contemplating one myself. Had one with my Ultra and used it to run some passive monitors. Did the job.

That was only an observation for the difference in tone and output... Not a criticism at all...

Sounds like you wouldn't want to work on that amp on a wet porch on a rainy day... ;-)

Back
Top Bottom