Carrying Axe-Fx III to gigs/jams without rack. Is the unit robust?

I’d wager a padded Pelican actually protects better than a rack, unless we are talking a shock mount rack.

I have a Gator and I sure wouldn’t want to drop it in that as it’s not providing much shock protection. Better than nothing of course, but the well padded Pelican cushions better.

Think of it this way.... how would you want to ship it ? Factory box with packing material or in a rack case ? The factory box of course....

Now the rack case is great for dings, spills etc, but really isn’t meant for the rigors of rough handling.

A good shock mount flight case is ideal, but darn they are heavy and expensive
Yep I have to agree with you there. I have had this case for a couple of years got a deal at a local shop.
You are absolutely right about the shock mount case. I have looked at a few and and will eventually get a different case.

For now though this will have to work as I’m not really moving it much right now and I have not gigged with my fxii yet.
Still using my old gear.
But those shock mount cases are darn sure heavy, makes my back hurt thinking of it lol :)

Having owned both a fair amount of Pelican and racks, music gear goes in racks.

Pelicans are heavy, over built tanks meant to be dropped from several floors up and still survive. Air pressure valves?

It’s not a use case I need for what I own except possibly a decent camera and glass. I still use a soft bag for that.

It’s just overkill for any kind of firearm even with high dollar glass, or anything else I can think of incl. $$$ guitars.

Racks come in a variety of materials, transportation options, shock and load capacity built for purpose. Furthermore, you can add power conditioners, drawers, other things to a rack as you need them.

Good luck. :)
I also own some pelican cases and there great. But I use them mostly for my marine gear for my boat gps, radar, and sonar. Hey and if you ever sink it floats ;)
They will definitely protect what ever you put in them and I also keep silica packs in them to help with moisture.

I would recommend protecting your gear with something just to be safe. IMHO :D

I also own some pelican cases and there great. But I use them mostly for my marine gear for my boat gps, radar, and sonar. Hey and if you ever sink it floats ;)
They will definitely protect what ever you put in them and I also keep silica packs in them to help with moisture.

I would recommend protecting your gear with something just to be safe. IMHO :D

Don’t bring your AxeFX on your wakeboard boat. ;) i’m pretty sure it won’t float. I could be wrong though-I haven’t really tested it. Give it a go Fred :D

There was a thread gauging interest for an skb case for the axe fx iii and fc-12, but I can't post the link! It was posted on July 10th by admin m@, it's called "SKB Travel Case for Axe-Fx III and FC-12". Might be of interest to you!
Thanks!

I use a 10 u wide Gator case because the Fc12 fits in the bottom of the case. I love it and I don’t worry about somebody spilling things on it or anything else it’s protected anybody that’s played out in small clubs knows this can happen.

Get a case to protect it mho! :D View attachment 56976
I have a 10u SKB and my FC12 won’t fit in there.

Greetings curious is your case the deep case?
I have other 10u standard cases and the Fc12 won’t fit in them, it has to be the deep case for the Fc12 to fit in it. ;) :D

Freds55 thanks. yes it is deep enough for Axe FX ! The Gator case is 12.5" deep (Inside Dimension ) and the Axe FX III is 11.53" deep (including front handles and rear jacks)

In fact here are the specs from the AF3 Manaul:

19.00” W. × 5.16” H. × 11.53” D. (including front handles and rear jacks)

This will not fit the FC-12 JUST the Axe FX III. Personally I prefer to use a separate bag for the foot controller.

You cant think of the axe being robust construction in this respect because it would handle being carried or moved of course, its the screen and the buttons, especially the turning dials that you have to worry about
Now if its strapped into the front seat and you bring it in your axe shipping box, i think you’ll be fine, but aside from that, GET A RACK

Best Rack Unit is from RAB Audio that i saw, about $120 FWIW they have the best studio/gear/furniture accessories
Www.rabaudio.com

Greetings curious is your case the deep case?
I have other 10u standard cases and the Fc12 won’t fit in them, it has to be the deep case for the Fc12 to fit in it. ;) :D
Hi @Freds55 I’m not sure but probably not because my FC12 won’t fit in my case.

Edit: I checked and it definitely won't fit. I even tried the way shown in the pic above and it doesn't fit. However, I would have concerns about putting the FC12 in a Gator case as shown above. If the case is dropped or moved, the FC12 would likely be banged around and possibly damaged.

Last edited:
Rack it! I wouldnt use a soft case either. I thought about it and then realized the front and back were cardboard in denier LOL

Bought a new 4 sp Gator Pro for $175 from Sweetwater. You'd be silly not to protect a $2k+ piece of gear.

I just use bungee cords and strap it to the roof of my car. Just make sure you keep a shammy cloth in your gig bag to wipe off the insects that get splattered on the front panel while driving, you'll thank me later.

Rain may be problem too, or not if you drive really fast.

Good luck!

Hi @Freds55 I’m not sure but probably not because my FC12 won’t fit in my case.

Edit: I checked and it definitely won't fit. I even tried the way shown in the pic above and it doesn't fit. However, I would have concerns about putting the FC12 in a Gator case as shown above. If the case is dropped or moved, the FC12 would likely be banged around and possibly damaged.
Hi curious
I’m pretty sure your case is just the standard size and not the deep case like mine our your Fc12 would fit. When I’m moving my stuff around I’m pretty careful with it and the 12 fits so good it really can’t move much and for my needs it works fine.
I guess if I was moving it more than I do I would get a different case but it was an unused case and it works perfectly for my needs for now.
I too have other case like yours and your right it will not fit the Fc12 inside of a standard case it has to be a deep case. :D

SKB 3RU shallow rack case. Small footprint and light to carry by hand. I put studio monitor foam under the rack case on stage to reduce direct transfer of vibrations to unit.

Back
Top Bottom