Carrying Axe-Fx III to gigs/jams without rack. Is the unit robust?

Lou Lab

Inspired
Does anyone here carry their loose Axe FX III to gigs/jams, but not in a rack?

Just wondering if it's doable with just a big Pelican case. I would put the Axe FX III on top of my cabinet... But I would move it around from place to place in the Pelican case...

Lot of unknown variables.....

Carrying it by hand, sitting on the backseat of your car, not letting out of your sight? Checking it in luggage ? Roadies rolling the case into the back of a van or truck etc ?

Lot of unknown variables.....

Carrying it by hand, sitting on the backseat of your car, not letting out of your sight? Checking it in luggage ? Roadies rolling the case into the back of a van or truck etc ?

Either in my office/studio at home, sitting on a cabinet... Or at small gigs/jams, carried in a nice big Pelican case... still sitting on a cabinet...

Does anyone here carry their loose Axe FX III to gigs/jams, but not in a rack?

Just wondering if it's doable with just a big Pelican case. I would put the Axe FX III on top of my cabinet... But I would move it around from place to place in the Pelican case...

Hi Lou, It just so happens I have an open box version of the Gator GR-RACKBAG-3UW Rolling Guitar Rack Gig Bag i'm selling that's perfect for the Axe FX 3. Its an open box only, brand new and was not gigged. These are $165.00 plus tax new but I'll sell this one for $120 plus actual shipping cost if you're the US should be no more than $25. If you're interested let me know. Thx Mark

Here is a link to the Gator product website - https://gatorcases.com/products/rac...k-bag-w-tow-handle-and-wheels-gr-rackbag-3uw/

See FOR SALE listing here - https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gator-rolling-3u-case-for-axe-fx-iii.152723/
GR-RACKBAG-3UW_9_D5.jpgGR-RACKBAG-3UW_8_P2.jpgGR-RACKBAG-3UW_9_D2.jpg

Last edited:
Rack it. I had a II that I loaned out to a pro and they used it just as you are suggesting for two weeks. They were careful and the unit came back fully operational. However, there were multiple scratches on the top and bottom and it ended up with me losing over $100 when iI went to sell it.

Hi Lou,

Don't do it!
Yes the unit is robust - in the context of sensitive expensive electronic gear.
A rack unit won't cost much and you will thank yourself every time you ding it, scrape it, or drop a drink on it!
Thanks
Pauly

I definitely agree about a rack for Ax III. I also recommend a Furman or other good power regulator. But, what about carrying an AxIII AND the FC 12. Is there a good bag/case for that?

I definitely agree about a rack for Ax III. I also recommend a Furman or other good power regulator. But, what about carrying an AxIII AND the FC 12. Is there a good bag/case for that?
There was a thread gauging interest for an skb case for the axe fx iii and fc-12, but I can't post the link! It was posted on July 10th by admin m@, it's called "SKB Travel Case for Axe-Fx III and FC-12". Might be of interest to you!

Thank you for the replies.

As soon as we hear about the FM3 real capabilities I’ll decide if I get the Axe FX III instead. I’m on the fence between portability and full capabilities.

Thank you for the replies.

As soon as we hear about the FM3 real capabilities I’ll decide if I get the Axe FX III instead. I’m on the fence between portability and full capabilities.
I use a 10 u wide Gator case because the Fc12 fits in the bottom of the case. I love it and I don’t worry about somebody spilling things on it or anything else it’s protected anybody that’s played out in small clubs knows this can happen.

Get a case to protect it mho! :D 79CE2631-00EB-4F48-8CBD-8FBC3E0D2868.jpeg

I’d wager a padded Pelican actually protects better than a rack, unless we are talking a shock mount rack.

I have a Gator and I sure wouldn’t want to drop it in that as it’s not providing much shock protection. Better than nothing of course, but the well padded Pelican cushions better.

Think of it this way.... how would you want to ship it ? Factory box with packing material or in a rack case ? The factory box of course....

Now the rack case is great for dings, spills etc, but really isn’t meant for the rigors of rough handling.

A good shock mount flight case is ideal, but darn they are heavy and expensive

Having owned both a fair amount of Pelican and racks, music gear goes in racks.

Pelicans are heavy, over built tanks meant to be dropped from several floors up and still survive. Air pressure valves?

It’s not a use case I need for what I own except possibly a decent camera and glass. I still use a soft bag for that.

It’s just overkill for any kind of firearm even with high dollar glass, or anything else I can think of incl. $$$ guitars.

Racks come in a variety of materials, transportation options, shock and load capacity built for purpose. Furthermore, you can add power conditioners, drawers, other things to a rack as you need them.

Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom