Careful with the lid bolts..

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
Just a tip.. if you ever have the inclination to remove the lid and look inside your Axe-II, be really careful with the bolts. They break easy, there is not much material between the deepest part of the Phillips head pattern and the threads. I sheared off three out of twelve heads.

I just wanted to peek inside my Axe to make sure all connectors were tight, etc, before racking. Maybe don't do that :) it was perfect inside, but now I need to find some new bolts.

photo.JPG

How the heck did you do this? I've removed mine three or four times with no trouble at all. I did it by hand though. Maybe it's not a good idea to use a drill or powered screw driver.

We have the part number for the Axe I screws, and I sent a bag of screws along when I sold my Ultra. Anybody know what screws to get for the II?

How the heck did you do this? I've removed mine three or four times with no trouble at all. I did it by hand though. Maybe it's not a good idea to use a drill or powered screw driver.
On the I, the screws are very soft, so if they happen to fit a bit tight, it is hard to avoid camming out and ruining the screw. I was extremely careful and still had to replace a few. Makes me wonder why philllips-head screws are used so much, when there are better alternatives available.

On my II, several of the screws sit a little crooked, like the holes were misaligned or they were jammed in and cross-threaded. I wouldn't attempt to remove any of those without some spare screws handy.

Last edited:

Power drill :)

I switched the drill to low speed after the first one broke, then I switched to a hand screwdriver after the second one broke. The third just fell apart, when working by hand. It could be they were all weakened from the torque from the drill during the removal, so they were extra easy to break while re-tightening.

Or it could just be these are some cheap-ass little bolts.

I did notice that mine weren't straight and it appeared that they were threaded manually.

Same here!

Pretty Odd. Can't remember the last time that happened to me in the case of taking apart electronics to fix them. I would expect so rather good screws holding this puppy together.

Wow. I have taken mine off 5 or 6 times with a Black&Decker power screwdriver and not a single strip or issue. My Ultra had a few stripped threads on me but nothing even close on the II. I'm pretty careful though and have it set low. I always make that last turn manually.

Last edited:
Be careful! Those are explosive bolts, put there in case the ultra-technologically advanced aliens inside need to escape.

Loosening / Removing these screws with a power driven screwdriver/drill shouldn't be any issue whatsoever.

But they are WAY too small to install/tighten with ANY form of screwdriver unless it has a clutch that is set VERY low, and you know what you are doing. Take your time, do it by hand!

Back
Top Bottom