Capturing IR with 2 mics

indeloon85

Inspired
I am curious what the best way to use 2 mics on a cabinet to capture the IR would be. I like the idea of natural phasing so is there a certain technique you guys have found? Not necessarily mic placement, but moreso what you use to blend the 2 mics since AXE FX 2 can only take a mono input. (Am I correct in saying that??)

In short, is there a certain mixer that is recommended with the least amount of coloring for capturing multiple sources and blending them?

Use a mixer. You should also capture them individually so you can then mix them after using the Cab-Lab.

Yep. What Cliff said. If you want the possibility to tweak them afterwards then it's better to capture them separately. F.ex. when I do the "alloy" thing I might fine tune the volume levels a bit. It might be a bit harder to find the correct out of phase time though if that's what you're after.

Man this makes me stoked for the new Cab Lab live! It sounds like with that you can introduce what I'm looking for as a post effect. But for now, I mainly want to bake the natural phase into the IR's, so ultimately I would want to just use a mixer. I have a Mackie 1202 I could use, but guessing that the pre's are that are not ideal for a clean capture of the IR. Mr Clark there with his Cab Pack 7 is quite inspiring for getting great sounds! Is there a certain mixer/summing box that you two would recommend for this?

Thank you for the compliments indeloon. I capture the IRs on separate tracks simultaneously. Summing happens inside the DAW so basically I have nothing to recommend. :)

Back
Top Bottom